Cell Phones

Bell Mobility: Unlimited Mobile Browsing available on Smartphones (Grandfatherd plan)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2016 7:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
4995 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
Hi, guys, can not finish reading all the 30 pages post on this thread. But I have a basic question, is there still any way to get the unlimited mobile browsing plan on Bell? And can you do tethering on it?
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
rivet wrote:
Jul 7th, 2012 11:09 am
Hi, guys, can not finish reading all the 30 pages post on this thread. But I have a basic question, is there still any way to get the unlimited mobile browsing plan on Bell? And can you do tethering on it?
You could have at least read the topic stating "grandfathered". You'd know from that that it is no longer offered....yes you can hotspot with the plan in most cases.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1675 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rivet wrote:
Jul 7th, 2012 11:09 am
Yes tethering is supported on the plan. You can also stick the SIM in an aircard/data stick.

You have to find someone who's willing to sell you this plan (that's the only way you can get it, if you don't already have it.)

There are also some people who have access to the Bell system who might be able to work something out for you. You just have to find the right people.
Nov 12, 2004
43 posts
Did anyone try to use mobile hotspot on Raider with the official Bell ICS update? Did you get billed on tethering?
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
Philipool wrote:
Jul 8th, 2012 3:14 am
Did anyone try to use mobile hotspot on Raider with the official Bell ICS update? Did you get billed on tethering?
I don't see why ICS would have any affect on the Raider and hotspot...the functionality was not changed in the update.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1792 posts
143 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
I'm running a custom ics rom on my s2 and tethering works fine
Nov 30, 2009
536 posts
127 upvotes
Philipool wrote:
If you're worried about being billed on your Android handset you could always root your phone and then install something like Barnacle, which allows for tethering without possibility of being caught. You could always find tethering apps on a non-rooted phone, but often they're payware and only offer USB or bluetooth DUN sharing.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
2628 posts
154 upvotes
mobifree wrote:
Jul 7th, 2012 12:24 pm
Yes tethering is supported on the plan. You can also stick the SIM in an aircard/data stick.
Hey, WorldIRC. Is this true? I can put the sim into a data stick or pocket hotspot and use UMB and not have additional data charges?
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
agent86 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2012 11:03 pm
Hey, WorldIRC. Is this true? I can put the sim into a data stick or pocket hotspot and use UMB and not have additional data charges?
Again, policy says no, but on a practical level there is no reason this won't work as long as you do NOT use inet.bell.ca APN. Make sure your mobile device is always set to pda.bell.ca
RFD Forums Moderator
Feb 16, 2008
60 posts
4 upvotes
ottawa,ontario
Philipool wrote:

I tried on my Raider ( with ICS) two days ago. Use my HP touchpad and my netbook to connect to the hotspot and so
far ...all data included in the unlimited browsing :)

I LOVE IT !!

cheers,
Rider
Jul 8, 2012
35 posts
3 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
WorldIRC,

I purchased a prepaid plan SIM almost a year ago off a guy from craigslist. The plan is working perfectly fine as it should.

Unfortunately, the plan has a 613 area code (the guy just mailed me the SIM card after I sent him money via EMT.. I know I took a risk).

I'm thinking of switching my own number to the account and adding text messaging to the plan. How difficult are phone numbers changes on the prepaid version of the plan? I don't know the account details, I simply login using the web login and topup.
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
acemobile wrote:
Jul 10th, 2012 12:54 am
WorldIRC,

I purchased a prepaid plan SIM almost a year ago off a guy from craigslist. The plan is working perfectly fine as it should.

Unfortunately, the plan has a 613 area code (the guy just mailed me the SIM card after I sent him money via EMT.. I know I took a risk).

I'm thinking of switching my own number to the account and adding text messaging to the plan. How difficult are phone numbers changes on the prepaid version of the plan? I don't know the account details, I simply login using the web login and topup.
A phone number change itself is easy, just have to make sure there is $20-$25 in the account balance for the transaction.
However, identifying yourself to the store will be required as well.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jul 8, 2012
35 posts
3 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 10th, 2012 1:23 am
A phone number change itself is easy, just have to make sure there is $20-$25 in the account balance for the transaction.
However, identifying yourself to the store will be required as well.
Argh, that's going to be a problem.
Obviously I can provide my own ID, but it will not match the account owner's info.
Sep 27, 2003
7449 posts
1174 upvotes
Newmarket
acemobile wrote:
Jul 10th, 2012 3:22 pm
Argh, that's going to be a problem.
Obviously I can provide my own ID, but it will not match the account owner's info.
Do you have the pin code to the account? Perhaps you can call 611 and get the info changed if you have the PIN (this is true on Fido)
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2005
1225 posts
3 upvotes
I am considering doing a hardware upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S3 32GB. I currently have a corporate RBC voice plan with unlimited text messaging and the $30 unlimited data plan (might be for Blackberry only).

When inquiring about doing the hardware upgrade I was told that my data plan would no longer work with the Galaxy S3 due to it being on the LTE network. My current data plan (unlimited) is not available on the LTE network nor is it offered anymore (grandfathered). The data plan I was offered was $35 for 1GB....

Now, my question to you, WorldIRC, is.... Rogers is currently offering a 6GB LTE plan for $30. Can Bell match this? I don't really care about an unlimited plan as I have never used more than a few GB in a month so I would be more than fine with 6GB of data. I don't think 1GB of data for $5 more than I am currently paying for my unlimited data plan makes any sense. Please let me know if this is a possibility (6GB of LTE data for $30) and how I can go about getting it done.

Thanks!
× < >