Cell Phones

Bell Mobility: Unlimited Mobile Browsing available on Smartphones (Grandfatherd plan)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2016 11:02 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 8, 2011
128 posts
6 upvotes
donx wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 9:39 am
Thanks for sharing. It is good to know that Virgin UMB CAN be transferred to Bell UMB.
Just to clarify, I have Virgin UMB, just popped my sim in a locked used phone, and UMB worked as-is. I didn't transfer to Bell UMB.
If you mean Virgin UMB works on pda.bell.ca, then yeah, it does.
Nov 30, 2009
536 posts
127 upvotes
Just stopping by to say I've been UMB for years now and I'm currently on an iPhone 4s. Although I tether, my usage is still reasonably conservative:

Bell sends me a text message once every few weeks telling me I have a free upgrade. I'll admit I've been tempted to upgrade to a better phone with LTE at the expense of losing my UMB, but I live in Nova Scotia and I've found that 3G coverage in some spots here is pathetic let alone LTE.

I'm really just waiting for Wind Mobile or some other better carrier to come along so I can switch to them, I think.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6413 posts
227 upvotes
I am due for HUP. Could experts here advise what is the best smartphone deal I should pick without data plan ? Thanks
Sep 27, 2003
7450 posts
1176 upvotes
Newmarket
rdx wrote:
Jan 28th, 2013 8:54 pm
I am due for HUP. Could experts here advise what is the best smartphone deal I should pick without data plan ? Thanks
HTC One S - $49.95 if you can find a store with stock and that's willing to push through the upgrade.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6413 posts
227 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Jan 29th, 2013 12:14 am
HTC One S - $49.95 if you can find a store with stock and that's willing to push through the upgrade.
Thanks. For some reasons, I can only find HTC One V (not X) from the Bell website. Probably need go check it out from the store.
Sep 27, 2003
7450 posts
1176 upvotes
Newmarket
rdx wrote:
Jan 29th, 2013 1:17 pm
Thanks. For some reasons, I can only find HTC One V (not X) from the Bell website. Probably need go check it out from the store.
One S is discontinued hence it no longer being advertised online.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1326 posts
117 upvotes
Markham
Anyone can tell me why my iPhone 4 is so slow compared to a 4s. Is it bells network. My bell iPhone 4 gets like 2mps max on speed test here in Markham. My friends Rogers 4s gets 5-8 mps. We are not that close in proximity.

Is it bell? My location? The iPhone?

Would a 4s make a difference.

Thanks for any input.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1792 posts
143 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
DdBigs wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 11:07 pm
Anyone can tell me why my iPhone 4 is so slow compared to a 4s. Is it bells network. My bell iPhone 4 gets like 2mps max on speed test here in Markham. My friends Rogers 4s gets 5-8 mps. We are not that close in proximity.

Is it bell? My location? The iPhone?

Would a 4s make a difference.

Thanks for any input.
^ I believe it's because the 4s supports faster download speeds vs the iphone 4. If im not mistaken the 4s supports HPSA+ whereas the 4 just gets regular HSPA
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1326 posts
117 upvotes
Markham
Thanks. I see it now that the 4s does have hspa+. has anyone tested the 4 vs 4s on bell. Is it a lot faster.
Jun 27, 2007
36 posts
Hey all I've been following this thread for awhile. I'm also on UMB on my plan...I have another year left on my contract. For the past 2 months I have been getting text messages from Bell.

First saying that I can upgrade my hardware.

I started to receive some messages saying, I have used a certain number of MBs of data nearing 2GBs of data, and I don't have a data plan. Please add data plan.

I then started receiving text messages saying I will be billed for my usage if I go over 500MBs.

Then just today I received a messaged saying I have gone over 500MBs and I will be billed $40. Please add a data plan.

This is pretty strange to me considering I have relativlely low usage and I have rarely gone over 2GBS...I think I've gone over it 2 months at most over the last 2 years. Upon further investigation it still says I have the feature on my account, and last month when I was getting those text messages I was not billed either, everything went under UMB.

My question, is this some sort of scare tactic? Or is it just an automated system sending out text messages on the Bell servers?

I suppose I will have to wait till next month's bill to see if they are actually bluffing or not. This is the first time they actually texted some kind of confirmation of billing me something.
Oct 2, 2006
93 posts
30 upvotes
jahnadrian wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 8:57 pm
Hey all I've been following this thread for awhile. I'm also on UMB on my plan...I have another year left on my contract. For the past 2 months I have been getting text messages from Bell.

First saying that I can upgrade my hardware.

I started to receive some messages saying, I have used a certain number of MBs of data nearing 2GBs of data, and I don't have a data plan. Please add data plan.

I then started receiving text messages saying I will be billed for my usage if I go over 500MBs.

Then just today I received a messaged saying I have gone over 500MBs and I will be billed $40. Please add a data plan.

This is pretty strange to me considering I have relativlely low usage and I have rarely gone over 2GBS...I think I've gone over it 2 months at most over the last 2 years. Upon further investigation it still says I have the feature on my account, and last month when I was getting those text messages I was not billed either, everything went under UMB.

My question, is this some sort of scare tactic? Or is it just an automated system sending out text messages on the Bell servers?

I suppose I will have to wait till next month's bill to see if they are actually bluffing or not. This is the first time they actually texted some kind of confirmation of billing me something.
I got the same text message as well. I'll investigate a bit.
Nov 30, 2009
536 posts
127 upvotes
I've been on UMB for years now and received this message for the first time today:

"Free Bell msg: You've used over 1GB of data this month. Add data and save- http://bell.ca/mybell. Add'l usage will be billed $0.05/MB"

As read above though, I think this message is reasonably harmless and I wont be overbilled, yes?

edit: according to their website I've only used 762.61MB this month. WTH?
Apr 2, 2009
720 posts
101 upvotes
Markham
macmee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2013 2:14 pm
I've been on UMB for years now and received this message for the first time today:

"Free Bell msg: You've used over 1GB of data this month. Add data and save- http://bell.ca/mybell. Add'l usage will be billed $0.05/MB"

As read above though, I think this message is reasonably harmless and I wont be overbilled, yes?

edit: according to their website I've only used 762.61MB this month. WTH?
Are you on postpaid or prepaid?
Feb 15, 2013
552 posts
199 upvotes
Brampton
I have the enbridge corporate plan as well. Looking at my plan details it says 1x Mob Browser (MBUN)....is this unlimited?? I have a blackberry curve and have only used the browser on my phone when connected to wifi hotspot. My current APN is pda.bell.ca. Should i be able to access the internet via the bell network without incurring data charges? Also, I am looking to upgrade my phone to a better smart phone such as the galaxy 3 or iphone 4 or better....would i be able to stream movies and browse the web on these phones without a data plan using the unlimited browsing feature of the enbridge plan?? Thanks in advance for all input and suggestions.
Feb 22, 2013
1 posts
I have a Galaxy Nexus, but used to have a GS 2 until I dropped it. I used to have the HTC Touch with UMB, then the Samsung Impact. When I first got my GS2 I was told I had to take a data plan to get the device at the discounted price so I got the 6 gig plan for $30. Ever since then, when I check on my Bell Self Serve, the charge is there for the 6 gig data plan, but it always shows at 0 megs used. The $10 UMB is still there and all data is shown there as unlimited. I know I could save myself $30 per mionth on the wasted 6 gig plan, but I'm afraid I'll draw attention and they might say I was not supposed to have the UMB on my GS2 and now my Nexus. $40 for absolutely unlimited data is still a great deal by todays standards, but if I knew it was safe to call and cancel the 6 gig plan and save $30 per month I'd call in a second. Any one know any thing?
× < >