Cell Phones

Bell Mobility: Unlimited Mobile Browsing available on Smartphones (Grandfatherd plan)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2024 11:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: Forget about these old plans. Any $30 plan in the market now is better than it with unlimited international texts and Canada wide calls. The text plan on this legacy plan sucks. I got charged $0.5 for every MMS I received and there is nothing I can stop people sending to me Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat🤣

Also, they changed the UMB on the Enbridge plan to 3GB years ago. I don't use a lot of data but 3GB is not enough....... Just port the number to a better plan and move on to a new era Winking Face
Hahaha, the incurred charges on receiving MMS is so weird. Even CS could not figure out why.

The old plan with UMB actually has a cap at 100 GB which can be requested to be removed to continue (not sure that would cause a flag for them to change the plan though). So, it is not unlimited. The old UMB plan is still not bad though. I don't think it is possible to find a $30/$40 plan that comes close to 100 GB unless it is a business (not EPP) plan.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
ndrew029 wrote: I'm still on a Canadian Tire employee plan from 13 years ago. I still get 4G access, unlimited texts, unlimited data but have to pay for sending MMS which I avoid. The included 200 anytime mins are kinda sad, but with unlimited weekend calling it's never been an issue. Paying about $35 all in.

I haven't really paid attention to any plans or offers. But I noticed, for example, the one from Freedom recently is pretty competitive. Is it finally time to move on? End of an era if so 🥲
200 mins is the only thing that really bugs me, but that's only on weekday from specified time. Nights and weekends are unlimited. With unlimited outgoing and incoming SMS, your $35 plan isn't too bad. I would still keep it instead of going to Freedom as I hear reception may not be as good as the Big 3 in areas out of GTA.
Oct 13, 2007
644 posts
254 upvotes
Alberta
ndrew029 wrote: I'm still on a Canadian Tire employee plan from 13 years ago. I still get 4G access, unlimited texts, unlimited data but have to pay for sending MMS which I avoid. The included 200 anytime mins are kinda sad, but with unlimited weekend calling it's never been an issue. Paying about $35 all in.

I haven't really paid attention to any plans or offers. But I noticed, for example, the one from Freedom recently is pretty competitive. Is it finally time to move on? End of an era if so 🥲
Yup I finally did on black friday. Im at 35 a month with unlimited calling minutes. 5g at 40gigs and not paying anymore for mms. I was going about the same time as you. I could not get lte ever no matter how i tried.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1982 posts
298 upvotes
Markham
albundy99999999 wrote: 200 mins is the only thing that really bugs me, but that's only on weekday from specified time. Nights and weekends are unlimited. With unlimited outgoing and incoming SMS, your $35 plan isn't too bad. I would still keep it instead of going to Freedom as I hear reception may not be as good as the Big 3 in areas out of GTA.
I'll keep it because I think I would regret giving it up, but it's getting really close. It took a long time for in market plans to catch up. So I'll have to keep an eye on them now.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
m2teach wrote: Yup I finally did on black friday. Im at 35 a month with unlimited calling minutes. 5g at 40gigs and not paying anymore for mms. I was going about the same time as you. I could not get lte ever no matter how i tried.
Same here , was using the Enbridge plan for 15 years. Finally, switched to Virgin Plus $30 for 30 GB on BF, unlimited calls & texts along 1000 mins international calls. Used my friend's referral link and I referred another friend, that's $10 off for the next 10 month. Happy about the move.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think I had ever used more than 30 GB even when I had UMB. They just told me they changed the corp plan with Enbridge and thus my plan was changed as well automatically. Since it's a corp plan, I had no say about the change. Either take it or leave the plan.....

Anyway, the prices for all data plan now with different providers have dropped significantly. The limited and restricted calls and texts on those legacy plans are so outdated now. Time to switch.
albundy99999999 wrote: Hahaha, the incurred charges on receiving MMS is so weird. Even CS could not figure out why.

The old plan with UMB actually has a cap at 100 GB which can be requested to be removed to continue (not sure that would cause a flag for them to change the plan though). So, it is not unlimited. The old UMB plan is still not bad though. I don't think it is possible to find a $30/$40 plan that comes close to 100 GB unless it is a business (not EPP) plan.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
I can't remember if I came back here to update. The most they offered me was $45 for 15 gigs of data to convert my old unlimited mobile browser plan to Talk150. I had 2 lines at $45 each for pooled 30 gigs. Unlimited Canada talk, unlimited Canada text. I ended up keeping that for a few months and then I ported over to Telus for their 4 line business deal (150 gigs each line, canada/usa/mexico, etc) works out to around $39 each line for the next 2 years. Will see what deals are available then and probably move again, no loyalty anymore with these deals..
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
m2teach wrote:
Yup I finally did on black friday. Im at 35 a month with unlimited calling minutes. 5g at 40gigs and not paying anymore for mms. I was going about the same time as you. I could not get lte ever no matter how i tried.
rdx wrote:
Same here , was using the Enbridge plan for 15 years. Finally, switched to Virgin Plus $30 for 30 GB on BF, unlimited calls & texts along 1000 mins international calls. Used my friend's referral link and I referred another friend, that's $10 off for the next 10 month. Happy about the move.
It makes sense for both of your situations (no 5G, limited weekday minutes, outgoing SMS/MMS not free, no national-wide free calls and usage is less than 70 GB per month) to move off from the grandfather plan. I suppose if they add additional $10 to the grandfather plan, I will most likely move off it. The only thing is I prefer to stay with the Big 3 which don’t offer a comparable deal. Apart from the big 3 deals, other BF deals or business lines are very attractive for sure.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
YLSF wrote: I can't remember if I came back here to update. The most they offered me was $45 for 15 gigs of data to convert my old unlimited mobile browser plan to Talk150. I had 2 lines at $45 each for pooled 30 gigs. Unlimited Canada talk, unlimited Canada text. I ended up keeping that for a few months and then I ported over to Telus for their 4 line business deal (150 gigs each line, canada/usa/mexico, etc) works out to around $39 each line for the next 2 years. Will see what deals are available then and probably move again, no loyalty anymore with these deals..
That’s a superb deal. Only thing is you got to try to find something similar every two years. With current deals that offer $30 to $50 for 30 GB to 60 GB per month, it starts to make the grandfather plan to be unattractive these days. However, I heard telecoms are planning to raise the cost of the monthly plan to as much as another $10 for those who are not in a contract last week. We shall see how all these will play out at the end.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: I don't think I had ever used more than 30 GB even when I had UMB. They just told me they changed the corp plan with Enbridge and thus my plan was changed as well automatically. Since it's a corp plan, I had no say about the change. Either take it or leave the plan.....

Anyway, the prices for all data plan now with different providers have dropped significantly. The limited and restricted calls and texts on those legacy plans are so outdated now. Time to switch.
On those corp plans with UMB, I think only some, not all were forced to change. 30 GB usage is not much at all these days. There is a luxury of having UMB despite the cap is at 100 GB - I recalled my monthly average is running between 80GB to 90GB since I do not bother to have Wi-Fi turned on. Prices for data plans are still very pricey in Canada. What the telecoms are doing is they include more data and add-on features to make people thinking that they are getting a great deal.

Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Anyone still using Virgin UMB? I forgot to topup, and now my UMB at Proxy.bell.ca no longer works. Was working a month ago. I topped up and UMB is still active in my profile. I know that Bell / Virgin attempts to restrict this by IMEI. Their tech support is pretty useless.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)