Shopping Discussion

Bell obvious bait and switch - illegal?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2010 9:19 am
Oct 3, 2008
549 posts
75 upvotes

Bell obvious bait and switch - illegal?

I just got a house, and am thinking about going with Bell for my internet service. Here, they say that internet is $29.99/month. However, when I called, I was told that yes, bell internet is $29.99, but there is a $10/month 'high speed access fee'.

This BS just makes the internet service $39.99/month. Isn't this illegal? If they advertize 29.99, so my bill should be 29.99, no?

My only other choice for internet in my area is Rogers - what should I do?

Link: http://public.bellaliant.net/highspeed/
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
manyapples wrote: I just got a house, and am thinking about going with Bell for my internet service. Here, they say that internet is $29.99/month. However, when I called, I was told that yes, bell internet is $29.99, but there is a $10/month 'high speed access fee'.

This BS just makes the internet service $39.99/month. Isn't this illegal? If they advertize 29.99, so my bill should be 29.99, no?

Ah...here we go. Pulling the old 'bait and switch' from the vocabulary. Sure, the charge is higher than quoted, but it's not any different from cell companies charging 'system access fees'

If Rogers is the only other choice, your solution is simple: Go to Rogers, or get dialup. :)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Bell does this all the time. They'll advertise deals for combinations of services and then heavily insinuate you'll get a massive discount on each service when in reality it's off the total package. A lot of their reps will flat out lie to you to get you to sign a contract, and it's only when the first bill comes and you call to complain that you'll get the whole story.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
manyapples wrote: I just got a house, and am thinking about going with Bell for my internet service. Here, they say that internet is $29.99/month. However, when I called, I was told that yes, bell internet is $29.99, but there is a $10/month 'high speed access fee'.

OP never bought anything from anywhere before? :facepalm:

It's 29.99/MO with an *(asterisk). Keep reading and you should see * certian conditions apply. You should be aware that wherever you see this there is always a catch.

This is NOT bait and switch. Not even close. The extra charge is probably dry-loop fee assuming you don't have a phone line.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2358 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
manyapples wrote: This BS just makes the internet service $39.99/month. Isn't this illegal? If they advertize 29.99, so my bill should be 29.99, no?

Not bait and switch at all. This is why it's important to read the fine print.

Are there not any other alterative ISPs (Like Teksavvy in Ontario) in your area?

(One other somewhat off-topic point. What is it about people around here wanting certain things to be declared illegal? Since when has that prevented any illegal activity (like downloading or distributing copyright materials, but I digress) from taking place?)

If people don't like the way Bell or any other company does business, vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
It's also not illegal, just shoddy business practice. No one ever advertises "$29.99 TOTAL PRICE", there's always a fine-print at the bottom stating that extra fees and taxes may apply.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes
number8888 wrote: OP never bought anything from anywhere before? :facepalm:

It's 29.99/MO with an *(asterisk). Keep reading and you should see * certian conditions apply. You should be aware that wherever you see this there is always a catch.

This is NOT bait and switch. Not even close. The extra charge is probably dry-loop fee assuming you don't have a phone line.

I'm selling fresh baked bread for 10 Cents a loaf! *

*$2.99 per loaf Bakery Access Fee Applies.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
It's not a bait and switch, it's called adding on a pile of BS service charges (unless it is the DSL dry loop charge, then that's a different story)..

Welcome to bell, they love adding on these fees, apparently thinking people won't notice. Maybe many don't. I recommend exercising your right to other options and not using bell.

Keep in mind that any 'special' deals or discounts or whatever will only be for a year, or maybe the life of the contract, but then you have to call and mess around with retentions, which is another mess, as inevitably again they will mess up your discounts. If you can get a good rate with another company as their 'normal' pricing, you are much better off doing that if the services will be sufficient.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes

Go with TekSavvy. You will not be discouraged and they bill you exactly as what was promised. I have the 200GB monthly plan which Bell would only offer me 30GB of download for the same price - no contracts with Teksavvy by the way!

Check them out, then talk with them and see if they can help you,
http://teksavvy.com/en/default.asp
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Pete Jones wrote: This is why it's important to read the fine print.

This thread is also a prime example of why it's important to know the meaning of words before you use them. Although when it comes to complaints around here that doesn't seem to matter all that much.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
Ojam wrote: This thread is also a prime example of why it's important to know the meaning of words before you use them. Although when it comes to complaints around here that doesn't seem to matter all that much.

Exactly. Everything is "Bait and Switch", "Scam", "Robbed".
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes
Kenny Blankenship wrote: Exactly. Everything is "Bait and Switch", "Scam", "Robbed".
Well isn't it? What about those "SAVE _UP TO 50%_" Sales? Ever tried to ascertain exactly WHAT was ACTUALLY 50% off? :lol:
Apr 18, 2010
66 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
jan_db wrote: Well isn't it? What about those "SAVE _UP TO 50%_" Sales? Ever tried to ascertain exactly WHAT was ACTUALLY 50% off? :lol:

I've never had trouble figuring out a 50% off sale. If I am unsure of what is excluded, I ask "What is 50% off?".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
the price they advertised is the price you might get if you add all their other services. so you'll need to add home phone, bell tv and internet
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote: haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6697 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
Frankie3s wrote: Go with TekSavvy. You will not be discouraged and they bill you exactly as what was promised. I have the 200GB monthly plan which Bell would only offer me 30GB of download for the same price - no contracts with Teksavvy by the way!

Check them out, then talk with them and see if they can help you,
http://teksavvy.com/en/default.asp

I agree he should also look at Teksavvy Cable instead of DSL if they have it in his area it's better deal then DSL.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2358 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
jan_db wrote: Well isn't it? What about those "SAVE _UP TO 50%_" Sales? Ever tried to ascertain exactly WHAT was ACTUALLY 50% off? :lol:

Once again, someone isn't actually reading.

The words "UP TO" means anything from zero to 50. I don't see any indication as to what or how many items are on sale at 50%. The reader is the one who mis-understands it to mean that anything beyond a single item is actually 50% off. Oh, and it doesn't say off of what -- MSRP or the actual sale price.

Sort of when Bell promotes speeds "up to" 6 mbits. Nowhere does it say you'll get that speed -- but that's the upper limit. That's all.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Apr 13, 2004
458 posts
438 upvotes
York Region, Ontario
mysticalinfluence wrote: I agree he should also look at Teksavvy Cable instead of DSL if they have it in his area it's better deal then DSL.

6mbit? It's soooo slooooooooooowwwwww
Oct 3, 2008
549 posts
75 upvotes
Thanks to those who replied to this. I decided to go with Rogers. I did some research only to find that Tekksavvy is not available in my area. I actually feel like I got a pretty good deal from Rogers this time, I got the following:

VIP Cable
HD package add on
2 HD PVR's
Rogers Express cable internet

All for $83/month taxes in. I think this is an OK deal....thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
manyapples wrote: Thanks to those who replied to this. I decided to go with Rogers. I did some research only to find that Tekksavvy is not available in my area. I actually feel like I got a pretty good deal from Rogers this time, I got the following:

VIP Cable
HD package add on
2 HD PVR's
Rogers Express cable internet

All for $83/month taxes in. I think this is an OK deal....thoughts?

I think that sounds pretty good, what is the 'regular' bundled price for this though? Your internet cap will be pretty low with that I think.

Also, how long of a contract? and is the price locked in for the full term? or are you getting a '6 month' discount promo?

Did you just call up and ask for discounts? I thought they were only really generous with discounts once you can do a retentions offer..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)