• Aug 22nd, 2019 10:01 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10695 posts
7109 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W

Bell Roam Better... Roaming Data Throttling Just Got Better

Looks like Bell Roaming Data Just Got Better with throttling.

Edit: only applies to the $8/day (USA); $12/day (international) roaming add-on where monthly data allotment "carries over".
Effective November 6, 2019 customers using the Roam Better – with home data feature while roaming will experience reduced speeds beyond 500MB of data usage per day.

While roaming, customers with the Roam Better – with home data feature will receive maximum speeds up to 500MB/day in the destinations that apply. Beyond 500MB each day, data roaming speeds will be reduced to a maximum of 512Kbps for the remainder of the day and be reset daily at 12am Eastern Time to provide maximum speeds of up to 500MB/day once again for that new day.

With the increase of devices using mobile data around the world, the demand on networks can create network congestion. Managing data speeds can help alleviate the strain on networks

Expect rest of the big three & subs to follow.

Edit: official announcement found here
Last edited by titaniumtux on Aug 16th, 2019 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
13 replies
Apr 15, 2010
125 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Confused... Do you still pay a daily fee? If so how is this better?
Telus: No Overage Plan 50gb - VIP 20% + $0 Call Forwarding = $100 + TAX
Apr 7, 2007
456 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
Damn that sucks. Cause with unlimited data, I could use as much as I wanted when roaming in the USA.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10695 posts
7109 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
emann56 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 6:03 pm
Confused... Do you still pay a daily fee? If so how is this better?
Depends on the plan.

It's not better. Simply pointing out the irony in Bell's branding and slogans.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Apr 15, 2010
125 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 10:11 pm
Depends on the plan.

It's not better. Simply pointing out the irony in Bell's branding and slogans.
Hopefully Telus and Rogers doesn't follow but... Who knows! They didn't follow their price increase and it backed fired Bell.
Telus: No Overage Plan 50gb - VIP 20% + $0 Call Forwarding = $100 + TAX
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18496 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
So roam like home is BS? The only reason why I see a need to roam is to text and receive calls. The former can be addressed by using messaging apps that are not phone number dependent. For the latter, voice mail should take care of things. Just use a calling app to check voice messages and call back.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14172 posts
4107 upvotes
Here 'n There
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:01 pm
Looks like Bell Roaming Data Just Got Better with throttling.

Edit: only applies to the $8/day (USA); $12/day (international) roaming add-on where monthly data allotment "carries over".
This applies to ANY roam like home plan, not just where the data allotment "carries over" not to mention your qualification appears nowhere in Bell's terms & conditions. To wit, I have 15GB/mos which does not carry over and was just in the USA and as soon as I got past the border I got the message that speeds are reduced beyond 512kpbs.

What a joke. I switched from my Rogers 10GB/$65 plan to this one as I use a lot of data and travel a lot to the US and now it's bait 'n switch.

This has absolutely nothing to do with 'network congestion' but with Bell just squeezing the customer and trying to save $. As for 'network congestion' that's easily fixed!

Next it will go down to 250MB/day then 100/MB...
Last edited by eonibm on Aug 21st, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14172 posts
4107 upvotes
Here 'n There
will888 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 11:53 pm
So roam like home is BS? The only reason why I see a need to roam is to text and receive calls. The former can be addressed by using messaging apps that are not phone number dependent. For the latter, voice mail should take care of things. Just use a calling app to check voice messages and call back.
Um, have you ever heard of using your phone web browser? using apps? taking calls over your softphone? etc?

Roam like home is a lifesaver because it avoids me having to change sim chips to roammobility.com every time I was in the US (and pay extra for that usage). With roam like home I avoid the extra cost and switching sim chips back and forth all the time, not to mention having to call forward my domestic #, etc. etc. etc.
Mar 13, 2012
813 posts
389 upvotes
Near You
Ridiculous, will only further encourage people to get local sim cards.
💳✈️🌍 American Express Platinum+Gold+Cobalt (Free First-Class Travel) • Rogers WE • STACK
💰 HSBC PremierTangerineEQ BankMotive
📞 Freedom 13GB/45$ • Google Fi 📱 🖥️ Novus 1GIG/60$
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10695 posts
7109 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
eonibm wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 10:13 am
This applies to ANY roam like home plan, not just where the data allotment "carries over" not to mention your qualification appears nowhere in Bell's terms & conditions. To wit, I have 15GB/mos which does not carry over and was just in the USA and as soon as I got past the border I got the message that speeds are reduced beyond 512kpbs.

What a joke. I switched from my Rogers 10GB/$65 plan to this one as I use a lot of data and travel a lot to the US and now it's bait 'n switch.

This has absolutely nothing to do with 'network congestion' but with Bell just squeezing the customer and trying to save $. As for 'network congestion' that's easily fixed!

Next it will go down to 250MB/day then 100/MB...
The roaming plan where the plan carries over is what's affected, because it's the way Bell can prevent someone from eating through say 20GB roaming data in a week.

The lesser roaming package only includes 500MB/day data roaming, so rather than throttling, the usage will be charged at sky high PPU rates.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14172 posts
4107 upvotes
Here 'n There
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 2:23 pm
The roaming plan where the plan carries over is what's affected, because it's the way Bell can prevent someone from eating through say 20GB roaming data in a week.

The lesser roaming package only includes 500MB/day data roaming, so rather than throttling, the usage will be charged at sky high PPU rates.
You are just talking about a normal GB/mos allotment plan. It does not carry over until the next month, not that you said that but you didn't say anything and left your comments totally ambiguous.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10695 posts
7109 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
eonibm wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 5:59 pm
You are just talking about a normal GB/mos allotment plan. It does not carry over until the next month, not that you said that but you didn't say anything and left your comments totally ambiguous.
I don't quite get the confusion here. My understanding is this...
  1. newer roaming package allows full monthly plan data to be used while roaming. Plan includes X GB/month, can use it domestically, or roaming, no difference (only difference is you pay per day, per month, or have it included in your base plan to roam)
  2. Legacy roaming package included 500MB/day. That means even if say you're on a 20GB plan, but on legacy roaming package you were to use 2GB in a day on roaming, you'd be billed for the 1.5GB difference, and still have the resto of your data to use domestically during that billing cycle

Newer roaming package where "data carries over" means you can use your X GB/month domestically or roaming and it eats out of the same bucket.

Trend is that Canadian plans are competing on bigger data plans (15+GB plans are much cheaper now than even a few years ago), so to offer roaming package where roaming/domestic data consumption eats out of the same bucket, one could use up to their entire monthly data allowance in roaming without being hit with overage roaming fees. To mitigate this, Bell's going to throttle above 500MB/day to reduce their costs of roaming data.

TL;DR carriers finding new ways to protect their revenue.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14172 posts
4107 upvotes
Here 'n There
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 9:28 pm
I don't quite get the confusion here. My understanding is this...
  1. newer roaming package allows full monthly plan data to be used while roaming. Plan includes X GB/month, can use it domestically, or roaming, no difference (only difference is you pay per day, per month, or have it included in your base plan to roam)
  2. Legacy roaming package included 500MB/day. That means even if say you're on a 20GB plan, but on legacy roaming package you were to use 2GB in a day on roaming, you'd be billed for the 1.5GB difference, and still have the resto of your data to use domestically during that billing cycle

Newer roaming package where "data carries over" means you can use your X GB/month domestically or roaming and it eats out of the same bucket.

Trend is that Canadian plans are competing on bigger data plans (15+GB plans are much cheaper now than even a few years ago), so to offer roaming package where roaming/domestic data consumption eats out of the same bucket, one could use up to their entire monthly data allowance in roaming without being hit with overage roaming fees. To mitigate this, Bell's going to throttle above 500MB/day to reduce their costs of roaming data.

TL;DR carriers finding new ways to protect their revenue.
Here's the confusion: I have a new roaming plan as far as I know as I only signed up with Bell 2 mos ago their 15GB/$75 plan with roam from home and suddenly I went from being able to use as much data as I want per day at LTE speeds in the US to only a 500MB limit and then throttled thereafter (subject to the 15GB monthly limit unless I added an additional data package).

There was never no mention of old and new roaming plans anywhere I can see on Bell's website. As far as I can see roam from home shows on their website as always being throttled after 500MB. Where is this new roaming plan you speak of where you are not throttled after 500MB?
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10695 posts
7109 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
eonibm wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 8:48 am
Here's the confusion: I have a new roaming plan as far as I know as I only signed up with Bell 2 mos ago their 15GB/$75 plan with roam from home and suddenly I went from being able to use as much data as I want per day at LTE speeds in the US to only a 500MB limit and then throttled thereafter (subject to the 15GB monthly limit unless I added an additional data package).

There was never no mention of old and new roaming plans anywhere I can see on Bell's website. As far as I can see roam from home shows on their website as always being throttled after 500MB. Where is this new roaming plan you speak of where you are not throttled after 500MB?
Nutshell...old roaming plan capped users at 500MB/day, then overage charges. New roaming plan throttles after 500MB/day, no overage charge.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)