• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2018 2:26 pm
Jan 10, 2017
719 posts
290 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 2:01 pm
If we know the sites already and have a VPN then it shouldn’t be an issue.
The issue I was bringing up is that the bots go rampant and block legitimate sites that non-technical user visits that share the same IP.

How do we know that they won't block a small CDN because the sites are hiding behind them, effectively blocking a small part of the internet when that happens.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB (100% discount including overages 12 months) + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month ($1/Month including promotion rate) voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
102 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I don't think Rogers or Bell know how to set up a state-of-the-art ISP.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18364 posts
2032 upvotes
Montreal
StreamingFan wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 5:51 pm
Don't pirate material and you won't have a problem.
You really want rogers or Bell deciding which sites we can access? I view this as an infringement of my personal freedom. I oppose it on principle. Period.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8640 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 9:24 pm
You really want rogers or Bell deciding which sites we can access? I view this as an infringement of my personal freedom. I oppose it on principle. Period.
If they start blocking any websites that we’ve visited or do visit, then we should get a nice discount since what we’re paying for is no longer what we’re getting
Banned
Jan 6, 2018
37 posts
10 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 9:24 pm
Rogers or Bell are simply protecting material they have broadcast rights to in Canada. I'd much rather you go the route of accessing say, US Netflix, to get some of this material. At least then you'd be paying for it. Pirating is wrong.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18364 posts
2032 upvotes
Montreal
StreamingFan wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:21 pm
Rogers or Bell are simply protecting material they have broadcast rights to in Canada. I'd much rather you go the route of accessing say, US Netflix, to get some of this material. At least then you'd be paying for it. Pirating is wrong.
Speeding is wrong. Yet car makers don't electronically limit their cars to 100km/h.

If I paid for something i expect to use it unfettered.

Who decides what sites are legal? This would set a dangerous precedent. Its as close to thought policing as I have seen.
Banned
Jan 6, 2018
37 posts
10 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 7:26 am
Speeding is wrong. Yet car makers don't electronically limit their cars to 100km/h.

If I paid for something i expect to use it unfettered.

Who decides what sites are legal? This would set a dangerous precedent. Its as close to thought policing as I have seen.
Paying for Internet doesn't give you the right to access illegal sites. If you're streaming something free that is supposed to be paid for, it's not legal, and that includes all these bullshit IPTV sites that you do pay for. It's common sense.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2005
1000 posts
88 upvotes
StreamingFan wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 8:13 am
Paying for Internet doesn't give you the right to access illegal sites. If you're streaming something free that is supposed to be paid for, it's not legal, and that includes all these bullshit IPTV sites that you do pay for. It's common sense.
Wrong. Paying for Internet access must give you the freedom to visit whatever site you want. It's what you do in a website that makes it legal or not. It is legal to browse Pirate Bay. It is legal to download a torrent file from Pirate Bay. What you end up doing with that torrent file is when you ask if it's legal or not.
Banned
Jan 6, 2018
37 posts
10 upvotes
tubs wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 10:05 am
Wrong. Paying for Internet access must give you the freedom to visit whatever site you want. It's what you do in a website that makes it legal or not. It is legal to browse Pirate Bay. It is legal to download a torrent file from Pirate Bay. What you end up doing with that torrent file is when you ask if it's legal or not.
No, actually, it doesn't. Why would you go to the Pirate Bay? Why would you download a torrent? For piracy! No one goes to the Pirate Bay just for the sake of going there, nor do they download a torrent just for the hell of it. Thank you, though, for revealing yourself as a user and consumer of pirated material. I won't stand for it.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9538 posts
3838 upvotes
Ottawa
kevindurant1 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:23 pm
Never say never. If consumers stay passive, they could do it. They are already charging us arm and a leg on phones, tv, internet. Consumers are just taking it. They already made billions of dollars with their little fees and extra charges.
I never understood how Canadians love to empower these companies with their hard earned money, then turn around and bitch about them....ad nauseum. There are ways to take a stance and not directly give them your money. Prove a point, put ethics before that shiny new $0 phone, compromise...but it's much easier to be a little bitch take it up the arse and give them your bank account number to help themselves every month for that gigabit internet and those 20gig mobile plans with a "free" phone.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8640 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto
StreamingFan wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 10:20 am
No, actually, it doesn't. Why would you go to the Pirate Bay? Why would you download a torrent? For piracy! No one goes to the Pirate Bay just for the sake of going there, nor do they download a torrent just for the hell of it. Thank you, though, for revealing yourself as a user and consumer of pirated material. I won't stand for it.
Here’s a thought. Although you probably won’t like it...and do keep in mind I’m trying to have a healthy debate and am not trying to attack you directly.

I’m a downloader and user of pirated material on occasion. Why? Simplest answer I can give you is “to see if what I am interested in buying is worth my money”.

Have you ever bought a movie or a video game only to find out it was utter trash? Well the stores won’t take them back once they’re opened. I have saved myself a ton of money by basically trying it before I bought and was glad I did because that would now be $90 wasted.

Here’s another example. I downloaded Planet Earth 2 in 4K. Loved it so much that... wait for it because this may shock you... I bought it!

So that being said you can’t just assume and immediately say piracy is all that bad when there are lots of people who do the same exact method I do. Granted I know there’s probably more that don’t.

What I find really funny because I knew this was gonna happen is that the CRTC during the whole net neutrality issue. They stated they won’t follow the US on it. You’d be blind to think this isn’t the start of Canada’s version in my opinion.

So what should be banned? Nothing, but why someone may ask? Not only is it because of our freedom and we pay too much for services, it’s because it’s a complete and total waste of time! If xtorrent site gets banned, we’ll just use a VPN... I highly doubt they will make VPNs illegal as it has many legitimate reasons for it. I use one daily now myself.

Oh and as per your comment saying they’re protecting what they have broadcast rights to, while correct is totally wrong in the sense that if they ban my fav torrent site for that reason then they’ve crossed the line because of the movies and games and such that they don’t have rights to.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Jan 31st, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jan 6, 2018
37 posts
10 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 11:21 am
Here’s a thought. Although you probably won’t like it...

I’m a downloader and user of pirated material on occasion. Why? Simplest answer I can give you is “to see if what I am interested in buying is worth my money”.

Have you ever bought a movie or a video game only to find out it was utter trash? Well the stores won’t take them back once they’re opened. I have saved myself a ton of money by basically trying it before I bought and was glad I did because that would now be $90 wasted.
You have buyers' remorse? Tough shit. That's the price you pay. Piracy in all forms is wrong, PERIOD!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8640 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto
StreamingFan wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 11:28 am
You have buyers' remorse? Tough shit. That's the price you pay. Piracy in all forms is wrong, PERIOD!
Did you read only that part or the whole response? You’ve never bought something and felt so ripped off and then the store saying sorry no returns? That fuels piracy

I’m going to assume you’ve never felt ripped off since your acting like a total new user troll.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Jan 31st, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jan 6, 2018
37 posts
10 upvotes
I read the whole thing. What part of "Piracy in all forms is wrong, PERIOD!" do you not understand? I don't care if you bought something as a result of downloading that same something illegally. PIRACY IN ALL FORMS IS WRONG.