• Oct 3rd, 2018 11:47 am
Banned
Jan 6, 2018
37 posts
10 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 12:15 pm
I don't need to.

You are the one making these bogus claims.
I don't need to lead you by the hand. The information is out there.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
10438 posts
1523 upvotes
I don't need to.

You are the one making these bogus claims.
StreamingFan wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 12:16 pm
I don't need to lead you by the hand. The information is out there.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
10438 posts
1523 upvotes
Here the TOS from start. Pretty much proof that troll is wrong.
You will abide by all applicable laws and agree to indemnify and hold us harmless from all liabilities and expenses related to any violation of this agreement. In no case will we be held responsible for the actions or omissions of any subscriber or other individual that accesses our services.

You may not attempt to do any of the following:

distribute copyrighted material for which you are not authorized;
distribute unsolicited bulk email (spam);
transmit data that is unlawful, harassing, abusive or defamatory;
knowingly transmit a virus, trojan or other harmful software program;
hack, attack or otherwise cause damage to any computer networks;
use our services in any way that would negatively affect our goodwill;
abuse or violate the privacy of others;
abuse or fraudulently use the internet in any way.
XtremeModder wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 12:14 pm
Which is something many of us know not to ever even open (as they'll see that it's been opened with a read receipt).

Again, I'll admit that I pirate, but at the end of the day it's because I got tired of getting ripped off mostly on video games. But there's been several times where I did purchase in the end due to actually liking whatever game it was.

Last time I got ripped off was No Man's Sky. If your unfamiliar with that whole pile of crap, go google it and see how badly it did. Game had tons of promises and never delivered.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8974 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 12:22 pm
Here the TOS from start. Pretty much proof that troll is wrong.
All ISPs basically have the same TOS. Looks like he is violating it as well from the harassing, abusive and defamatory line as well.

StreamingFan should be banned from the internet LOL.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2005
1016 posts
97 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 12:03 pm
It's actually a lot better having that person on my ignore list now.

Although I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the T&C of the services to be honest... it must be.

At the end of the day, getting back on topic. If this actually happens and the ISPs get the power to block websites, it will not be good. This will then give them more weight to do other things that go against the consumer.
Agreed. Just like the cliche.... Give them an inch and they'll take a foot.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19815 posts
2162 upvotes
Montreal
StreamingFan wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 11:28 am
You have buyers' remorse? Tough shit. That's the price you pay. Piracy in all forms is wrong, PERIOD!
Yes it is. The crime is committed when you acquire the copyrighted material. Not when you access the site.

Murder is illegal but you can buy a gun. Drunk driving is illegal but you can buy booze.

In this case the restriction is being applied before the crime is committed.

This is not China or Russia. Blocking sites reeks of authoritarianism. If people pirate material they can be prosecuted once they crime is committed. The laws already exist.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8974 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 2:19 pm
Yes it is. The crime is committed when you acquire the copyrighted material. Not when you access the site.

Murder is illegal but you can buy a gun. Drunk driving is illegal but you can buy booze.

In this case the restriction is being applied before the crime is committed.

This is not China or Russia. Blocking sites reeks of authoritarianism. If people pirate material they can be prosecuted once they crime is committed. The laws already exist.
What are your thoughts on someone like myself, where if available I’ll pirate it to see if it’s worth buying and if it is then I do buy it. It could be seen as good or bad either way. Anything I pirate that I know I will continue playing I’ll buy. Bought tons of VR stuff so far for the oculus rift.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19815 posts
2162 upvotes
Montreal
XtremeModder wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 2:29 pm
What are your thoughts on someone like myself, where if available I’ll pirate it to see if it’s worth buying and if it is then I do buy it. It could be seen as good or bad either way. Anything I pirate that I know I will continue playing I’ll buy. Bought tons of VR stuff so far for the oculus rift.
What you download does not concern me.

Im much more worried about someone sitting in an office somewhere drawing a list of sites that are banned.

Generally we only restrict freedoms when the public good is concerned. If they were blocking child pron sites or neo nazi forums I could consider the validity. But here the restrictions are being applied to protect commercial gain, not public safety. The fact that the internet providers are themselves content distributors makes this even more egregious. Cable is dying and this is its last gasp.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3162 posts
763 upvotes
Parry Sound
Anyone who supports these multi-billion dollar corporations controlling, monitoring, and restricting their access to the internet should have a chat with people in China or North Korea about how the lack of net-neutrality is going for them.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto

You wouldn't download a car?!!

Hell yeah I would. If I could wave a wand and replicate your car, and not actually deprive you of your car in the process.

This is a major conflict of interest, and is why we need structural separation.
Running the pipes should never have an interest in what travels the pipes.
This is common sense.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31833 posts
8192 upvotes
GTHA
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 6:42 pm
Anti-piracy group urges CRTC to create website-blocking system
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... k=sf_globe

New creative coalition urges CRTC action against online theft
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/n ... 63834.html
Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) minister reaffirms commitment to net neutrality in response to anti-piracy group
https://betakit.com/navdeep-bains-reaff ... acy-group/

“Our government supports an open internet where Canadians have the ability to access the content of their choice.”
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8974 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 8:43 pm
Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) minister reaffirms commitment to net neutrality in response to anti-piracy group
https://betakit.com/navdeep-bains-reaff ... acy-group/

“Our government supports an open internet where Canadians have the ability to access the content of their choice.”
I’ll read the articles when I get home. Does that last line basically mean nothing is going to happen?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31833 posts
8192 upvotes
GTHA
XtremeModder wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 9:44 pm
I’ll read the articles when I get home. Does that last line basically mean nothing is going to happen?
imho, yes

"Canada’s legal copyright framework already enumerates provisions designed to protect owners of intellectual property"
May 31, 2017
11 posts
3 upvotes
Hey, can I get Hulu , Vudu , YouTube TV, HBO now (properly) , etc etc etc etc etc? No, no I can't. I am willing to pay, but the services are not available due to these companies and the CRTC. Until then, pirate.

Also, anyone who is totally black and white on this...is setting up monopolies, false advertising, outright stealing from customers, and manipulation of the government really legal?