None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5055 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata

Bell Samsung Galaxy S2, how to install ICS, unlock and root

Just got a used Bell locked White Samsung Galaxy SII, I need it unlocked and rooted to be used with Petro Canada mobility (I also use their unlimited webbrowsing. I also prefer to upgrade to Android 4.0.

What is the easist and most economic ways to do so. I know there is google to search for, but I prefer getting some guideline here so I won't go to the wrong or more complicated approach.

Some specific questions include: should I go buy an unlock code or can I go just with the software unlock (is it permant unlock?), some link to instrucations would be nice. Is there offcial ICS update for my phone now, or should I go to flash custom ICS room.
21 replies
Jun 15, 2011
37982 posts
5465 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rivet wrote:
May 10th, 2012 11:08 pm
Thanks for the quick reply, is the unlock permanent or would it be locked back if I upgrade software or flash to a different ROM. Also should I root it after I upgrade to ICS?

No it won't. You can root it right now and install a custom ROM of ICS without upgrading to ICS.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Dec 28, 2006
5055 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
I'v heard that offcial ICS update for this phone is available now, should I try upgrade or should go root and unlock first.

I would prefer an offcial ICS than custom ROM if possible but not sure if I will loss the ability to unlock and root or make it harder if I go the offcial update route?
Jun 15, 2011
37982 posts
5465 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rivet wrote:
May 12th, 2012 8:26 pm
I'v heard that offcial ICS update for this phone is available now, should I try upgrade or should go root and unlock first.

I would prefer an offcial ICS than custom ROM if possible but not sure if I will loss the ability to unlock and root or make it harder if I go the offcial update route?

Well you can try updating to the official ICS and play around with it. See if you like it or not with its Touch Wiz interface. I have it on my SGS II currently, its version 4.0.3 but the phone is the UK edition, minus the Bell bloatware but its still Touch Wiz. Fyi, you will not lose the unlock feature no matter what, even after you wipe your phone completely. That has nothing to do with it. If you don't like the TouchWiz ICS, then you can Root and install custom ROMs.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Apr 23, 2007
8858 posts
299 upvotes
Mississauga
Go on Google, galaxy S2 root and there will be a tutorial with an azn guy. He tells you and runs through with you exactly hoe to root and unlock. The bell S2 is so easy when you root through Odin.
RFD 33-0-0
Ebay 18-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
May 16, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
RICHMOND HILL
Just made an account to post this - as this thread came up first for me. Hope it helps someone.

-I have a Bell Galaxy S2. It was rooted with Gingerbread on it.
-I used Samsung Kies on my PC, to upgrade my phone to ICS.
> This removed the root and install all the Bell bloatware back on (Uno, Bell Nav, Gaming crap... etc)
-I went to the XDA link provided in the this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1501719

> I found the instructions confusing at first, like how do I reboot to recovery without having root anymore? I was stuck on that step...
> Turns out, you turn phone off. Hold VOL+ and OK key while pressing Power On. This brings up the options to "apply update from external storage." - as listed on the XDA page... from there it was pretty straight forward.

- Once I got root, I used Titanium Backup Pro to back-up and then uninstall all the Bell junk apps... and to install LBE Privacy Guard, AdFree, and Autostarts. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4803 posts
1001 upvotes
Kanata
Thrais wrote:
May 17th, 2012 10:35 am
Just made an account to post this - as this thread came up first for me. Hope it helps someone.

> This removed the root and install all the Bell bloatware back on (Uno, Bell Nav, Gaming crap... etc)
-I went to the XDA link provided in the this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1501719

> I found the instructions confusing at first, like how do I reboot to recovery without having root anymore? I was stuck on that step...
> Turns out, you turn phone off. Hold VOL+ and OK key while pressing Power On. This brings up the options to "apply update from external storage." - as listed on the XDA page... from there it was pretty straight forward.

- Once I got root, I used Titanium Backup Pro to back-up and then uninstall all the Bell junk apps... and to install LBE Privacy Guard, AdFree, and Autostarts. :)

How did you uninstall the Bell apps? Thanks for signing in to write this up. Going to go home and check my ICS update.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1827 posts
152 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Tabooger wrote:
May 17th, 2012 5:19 pm
How did you uninstall the Bell apps? Thanks for signing in to write this up. Going to go home and check my ICS update.

you have to have root access. Once you are sure you have root access download an app called titanium backup from play store. Then launch the app. you can uninstall all the bell bloatware from this app. You can even uninstall system components so be careful. It's also a great app to use when flashing different roms. You can backup your apps + their data and restore them when you flash a different rom.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4803 posts
1001 upvotes
Kanata
Oh ya, I read that initially when I got my phone. I didn't want to fiddle with the system settings.

Wouldn't it be easier to flash a stock rom on the phone? What's the benefit to installing bloated ICS, rooting, then uninstalling with the app?
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Tabooger wrote:
May 18th, 2012 1:06 pm
Oh ya, I read that initially when I got my phone. I didn't want to fiddle with the system settings.

Wouldn't it be easier to flash a stock rom on the phone? What's the benefit to installing bloated ICS, rooting, then uninstalling with the app?

The samsung based ROMs are generally more stable due to driver compatibility and have almost all the hardware components working. That was part of the reason i chose stock rogers ROM on my captivate over MIUI even though it was great.

Stock ICS, MIUI, AOSP/AOKP etc usually have bugs or something doesn't always work. If it doesn't bother the user though, it can be a better option.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5055 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
This link is not working, which XDA link you are refering to?
Thrais wrote:

Apr 17, 2005
248 posts
25 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thrais wrote:

Thanks for this. I have my GS2 rooted on GB but have been waiting to update to ICS until a good rooting method for it appeared.
× < >