• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2012 9:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 19, 2012
273 posts
74 upvotes

Bell satellite in multiple locations

i have bell satellite service hooked up at home and i just bought a condo in downtown vancouver, can i take a satellite receiver from home and set it up at my condo in vancouver or do i need to get another subscription?

i was reading Bell TV's wikipedia entry and it says its not illegal but it is frowned upon by Bell (i know wikipedia is not a legitimate source):

Receiver limits
Residential accounts are limited to a maximum of six (6) receivers per account, but each of them can be a dual tuner receiver. Therefore, up to 12 televisions can be served. Account stacking, which consists of having receivers on one account located in different locations, is contrary to the Bell TV Residential and Commercial Agreements. It is certainly not illegal, and in a worst-case scenario, service will be canceled. This practice is detailed in CRTC Public Notice 2006-133 and 2006-134. There is no requirement whatsoever in the Regulations that prohibits a BDU (broadcast distribution undertaking) from providing service at more than one location via a single account. Bell has mostly focused on improving its satellite signal reception in Canada while seeking to prevent snowbirds from accessing this signal. The use of Bell TV services in the United States is not illegal, but it remains a contentious issue.
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
2270 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
You can do this no problem.

We do this at the cottage, my parents have bell at home and i installed a dish at the cottage. They just bring a receiver when they come and it works no problem.

Bell starts having an issue when you're number of receivers gets excessive. My parents have 4 at their house and one at the cottage and haven't had a problem.
Because you touch yourself at night
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14192 posts
1016 upvotes
Scarborough
It should work no problems, just don't tell bell. lol Just set up dish at the other location and plug in receiver and you should be good to go.
I used to be dah good, but then I took a chop stick to dah eye. So now I just...
Buy buy buy!

[size=0]-Asus P6T | Core i7 920 @4.0ghz | 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair H80 | Seasonic X-750W | XFX GTS250 1GB | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | WD Black 500GB, 1TB | WD 2TB Green | Antec 902
-13" MacBook Pro // Lenovo Thinkpad T410 | Core i5
-Acer AOD255 | Atom N550
-Asus Transformer TF101[/size]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5722 posts
508 upvotes
If you just have one receiver, no issue. You can use it back and forth between say home and cottage. Bell doesn't care.

If you have multiple receivers it gets a bit tricky because you can only have receivers at one location active any any one time. eg If you have two receivers at home and one at the cottage, and you're at home you're supposed to contact Bell and have them de-activate the cottage receiver. If you go to the cottage then you're supposed to contact Bell and deactivate the home receivers and re-activate the cottage receiver. This is the proper procedure but of course no one bothers to do this because it's such a hassle.

How will they know if you're cheating and have receivers at two locations active so that people at both locations can watch TV? Well, as it happens bell has an audit team that goes after that. They'll send a unique signal to each receiver that you have on a certain channel and phone you and get you to go and check each receiver and tell them what you see on the specified channel. If one of your receivers is at the cottage but showing active on Bell's system then they got you because you can't tell them what's being picked up on that particular receiver. You may just get a warning first time around, I'm not sure but I do know that they will re-audit and if you fail a second time then you've got big problems.

I don't know what factors influence an audit but I'm guess in that owning a large number of receivers, say 5 or 6 make you a good target since there's a good chance you're using some of them at a second location.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6318 posts
714 upvotes
Winnipeg
woof wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 12:11 am
If you just have one receiver, no issue. You can use it back and forth between say home and cottage. Bell doesn't care.

If you have multiple receivers it gets a bit tricky because you can only have receivers at one location active any any one time. eg If you have two receivers at home and one at the cottage, and you're at home you're supposed to contact Bell and have them de-activate the cottage receiver. If you go to the cottage then you're supposed to contact Bell and deactivate the home receivers and re-activate the cottage receiver. This is the proper procedure but of course no one bothers to do this because it's such a hassle.

How will they know if you're cheating and have receivers at two locations active so that people at both locations can watch TV? Well, as it happens bell has an audit team that goes after that. They'll send a unique signal to each receiver that you have on a certain channel and phone you and get you to go and check each receiver and tell them what you see on the specified channel. If one of your receivers is at the cottage but showing active on Bell's system then they got you because you can't tell them what's being picked up on that particular receiver. You may just get a warning first time around, I'm not sure but I do know that they will re-audit and if you fail a second time then you've got big problems.

I don't know what factors influence an audit but I'm guess in that owning a large number of receivers, say 5 or 6 make you a good target since there's a good chance you're using some of them at a second location.

with the drop in land lines and increase in cell phones, its getting harder to audit from call home pings. It would be a problem if they started putting gps chips inside.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5722 posts
508 upvotes
I don't think you understand. They send the signals through their satellite system specifically to your receivers. Then they phone you to get you to physically go to each receiver and report what you see. If you can't tell them what you see on one or more receivers then they'll assume it's not at that location in violation of contract terms and act accordingly.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14192 posts
1016 upvotes
Scarborough
woof wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 12:47 am
I don't think you understand. They send the signals through their satellite system specifically to your receivers. Then they phone you to get you to physically go to each receiver and report what you see. If you can't tell them what you see on one or more receivers then they'll assume it's not at that location in violation of contract terms and act accordingly.

From what I've heard, for older receivers, the ID is regenerated hourly, the location ID is actually generated from several different things (Time, date, receiver ID, etc.) through a formula that bell can pre-calculate before hand and will know when you read it to them. Whereas the newer receivers update the location ID every 10 minutes. So I don't think they actually send an unique code from their system to your receiver. I only use my receivers at my home and currently have 5, soon to be 6 (because of the 9200 replacement program) but I've never gotten a call from bell before guarding this, been with bell for 10 or more years.
I used to be dah good, but then I took a chop stick to dah eye. So now I just...
Buy buy buy!

[size=0]-Asus P6T | Core i7 920 @4.0ghz | 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair H80 | Seasonic X-750W | XFX GTS250 1GB | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | WD Black 500GB, 1TB | WD 2TB Green | Antec 902
-Acer AOD255 | Atom N550
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15223 posts
3274 upvotes
"I'm not at home right now. I'll call you back when I have someone around to look at my remote receiver I mean when I get home. "
(That's assuming that you don't leave an active receiver at an inaccessible location.)
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Somewhat related question:

I am thinking of getting Bell ExpressVu and need some help answering some questions I have:
  1. I have 3 TVs in the house. I assume I need three receivers? How many dishes doe I need? Would two suffice (one with a single LNB and another with a dual LNB)?
  2. Is it better to rent or buy the receiver?
  3. Does the install include mounting the dishes and running cable? Will they run it through the attic and walls or will they just run it on the brick outside?
  4. What is the best deal available to get a new setup? Do they still accept old "FTA" boxes in exchange?
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14192 posts
1016 upvotes
Scarborough
Shaf wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 10:10 am
Somewhat related question:

I am thinking of getting Bell ExpressVu and need some help answering some questions I have:
  1. I have 3 TVs in the house. I assume I need three receivers? How many dishes doe I need? Would two suffice (one with a single LNB and another with a dual LNB)?
  2. Is it better to rent or buy the receiver?
  3. Does the install include mounting the dishes and running cable? Will they run it through the attic and walls or will they just run it on the brick outside?
  4. What is the best deal available to get a new setup? Do they still accept old "FTA" boxes in exchange?

1.Yes you will need a reciever per tv. Bell has 2 satellites 82w and 91w, each lnb on a dual lnb dish will responsible for the reception of either satellite. Only 1 dish will be required by using a SW44 switch, which splits the signal from the 2 lnbs for up to 4 receivers. Usually if you have more than 4 receivers you will require a second dish as well as a second SW44 switch or 2 individual SW21 switches. But technically you can have up to 8 receivers on one dual lnb dish with additional hardware. I currently have 6 receivers running on a single dual lnb dish, been running this setup for about 8 years, no problems.

4. FTA exchanges? I've never heard of this. The only time fta were and are ever used on the bell network were to steal/pirate programing
Buy buy buy!

-Acer AOD255 | Atom N550
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5722 posts
508 upvotes
Matrixvibe wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 1:02 am
I only use my receivers at my home and currently have 5, soon to be 6 (because of the 9200 replacement program) but I've never gotten a call from bell before guarding this, been with bell for 10 or more years.
Considering how many customers Bell has (hundreds of thousands? a million plus?) the chances of getting a call are probably quite small, even with a large number of receivers. There's also probably only a handful of people - if even that - involved in this. And each check that they do is very time consuming. They probably have certain criteria that they use to try and narrow down the huge list of many receiver owners to the probable cheaters but no idea how they do that.
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 1:40 am
"I'm not at home right now. I'll call you back when I have someone around to look at my remote receiver I mean when I get home. "
You can just say the receiver is broken and you haven't gotten it fixed yet. The problem arises when someone else answers the phone. Years ago I knew a woman who's kids answered the phone (no adults home) and told the truth when questioned by Bell. OOPS!
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Matrixvibe wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 10:28 am
1.Yes you will need a reciever per tv. Bell has 2 satellites 82w and 91w, each lnb on a dual lnb dish will responsible for the reception of either satellite. Only 1 dish will be required by using a SW44 switch, which splits the signal from the 2 lnbs for up to 4 receivers. Usually if you have more than 4 receivers you will require a second dish as well as a second SW44 switch or 2 individual SW21 switches. But technically you can have up to 8 receivers on one dual lnb dish with additional hardware. I currently have 6 receivers running on a single dual lnb dish, been running this setup for about 8 years, no problems.

4. FTA exchanges? I've never heard of this. The only time fta were and are ever used on the bell network were to steal/pirate programing
Thanks a lot for the responses..

Any ideas on questions #2 and #3?

Also - do dual lnbs all have dual outputs too?? Or can a dual lnb have just one output per lnb?

I guess Rogers had the exchange program - http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-h ... er-861700/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5722 posts
508 upvotes
Shaf wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 10:10 am

[2]Is it better to rent or buy the receiver?
[3]Does the install include mounting the dishes and running cable? Will they run it through the attic and walls or will they just run it on the brick outside?
Buying or renting is a personal choice. If you're a new customer and you're buying usually there are special promotions giving you a price break on an initial purchase. These do not usually apply to existing customers so it's a one time thing. Rentals are on contract. One or two years. Cancel before the term is up and you get hit with a cancellation fee.

Old information, not sure if still true: Installation used to be free and I assume it still is HOWEVER you are committing to two year contract with cancellation penalties. After the contract is up you're on month to month with only 30 days notice required to cancel and no penalties. After installation you have 10 days to cancel without penalty (they usually don't tell you that). After that contract is in effect. Cables get run on the outside of the house. They will not run through interior walls.
Feb 4, 2012
1 posts
i set up an hd receiver at a secondary location using a switch 21 but at the primary location there is an hd receiver set up with a switch 44. After i pressed check switch of the secondary location the one at the primary location stopped working, and reads, "your smart card is not authorized" what should i do?
× < >