• Oct 23rd, 2010 6:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 10, 2010
6 posts
Toronto

Bell sending a technician

I got a call just now and the guy said Bell monitored my line and they found my modem gets disconnected a lot.
So they could send a technician to my house free of charge.
I told them last time the tech support sent me a modem-router to replace the old one and said it was free too.
Ended up charging me $19.95 on the next bill, which I had to dispute from their online chat support.
So the caller left me this number: 1-888-782-1362 to call back if I wanted the free tech later.

To me, it sounded fishy.
And it seems like a trend that Bell gives people an illusion of freebies and then charge them hoping they won't catch it on the bill.
Did anyone get a call from Bell telling you that they'll send you a technician to check your sympatico internet connection for free?
Is this "freebie" reliable?
Much appreciated for any feedbacks.
Thanks!!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4743 posts
1564 upvotes
Toronto
It appears to be Bell, but that doesn't mean it's not a scam...
800notes.com wrote:The technician came over this morning. He said that Bell opened a ticket saying that I called them to complain that I wasn't getting the 7MB/s that I was paying for. I explained to him that I was paying for 5MB/s and that I hadn't called to complain to Bell in years (when I was only getting around 1MB/s although I was paying for 5). The technician told me that he's been getting sent out on these recently. He showed me the ticket, he also showed me my current service and the current speeds I was getting. basically, I was paying for 5MB/s and getting 5 MB/s. The scam is that by creating this ticket, the technician will say "you're getting 5, the ticket says you want 7. Do you want 7?" If I say yes, then we've created a contract and I'd basically have upgraded my package. They don't have to upsell me, they just have to confuse me. If I complain about paying extra when the bill comes in, I'd have to pay a cancellation fee.
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-888-782-1362
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3469 posts
720 upvotes
Probably trying to get you off an old Unlimited package and on to one of their packages with a measly 25GB/mo
[OP]
Oct 10, 2010
6 posts
Toronto
CorSter wrote: Probably trying to get you off an old Unlimited package and on to one of their packages with a measly 25GB/mo

I do have the unlimited package!
Thought the modem-router upgrade would've cut that off, but it didn't.
At least I was assured correctly that time.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1373 posts
341 upvotes
Ottawa
To test your connection try speedtest

if youre indeed getting frequent disconnects it could mean that your profile set at the CO is too much for your line. reducing it will solve the issue.
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes
TOFan wrote: I do have the unlimited package!
Thought the modem-router upgrade would've cut that off, but it didn't.
At least I was assured correctly that time.

Modem/router upgrade? I fell for that scam - $69.95 yet they still owned the modem/router! It was so unreliable, I ended up disabling the wireless router, feeding the modem signal into MY OWN ROUTER, and then it worked.
Your local penitentiary inmates have much more honesty than Bell!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8008 posts
1091 upvotes
OP, is this part of an on-going thing with you trying to get an existing issue resolved or have you not noticed any problems and Bell just called you out of the blue and offered to sent a tech for free because they noticed you're have problems?

If your internet is working fine and you haven't noticed any problems I wouldn't let them come to fiddle with anything.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
jan_db wrote: Modem/router upgrade? I fell for that scam - $69.95 yet they still owned the modem/router! It was so unreliable, I ended up disabling the wireless router, feeding the modem signal into MY OWN ROUTER, and then it worked.
Your local penitentiary inmates have much more honesty than Bell!

I had a bell tech out for a repair on my line. It was determined that it wasn't my internal lines, but he did some stuff anyways, including leaving another modem (the wireless one) on top of the black one I already had. Hopefully they won't be charging me, I never signed anything, no fees were mentioned, and my lines were tested to be fine in the house, however, they didn't find any problem with the 'bell' equipment either. He did a few things 'just in case'. Hopefully I won't get that charge. Did you complain and get it reversed? He only left it for me as a spare 'incase' my current modem died, then I could test to make sure it was the modem with the problem.
Nov 22, 2004
12 posts
Bell just called me as well. However, I am having frequent disconnections. I was kinda worried this was a scam, but he confirmed my info to me including my account number, and I could here he was calling from a call center, so I'm not too worried. He also increased my speed on the phone with me, and I checked via speedtest, and it had increased by 1.5mb/s. Apparently this is an issue with my whole area, and they are being proactive to the whole area and trying to contact as many customers as they can to fix it all at once rather than have techs called out every other day because of the same issues with someone else who is a neighbor to where they were the day before (cost savings for them).

Funny thing was that I got off the phone with bell about an hour earlier to cancel all my services, but I'm still letting the tech come out to fix my line for the 3 weeks I will remain having it.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2010
6 posts
Toronto
Winkle wrote: OP, is this part of an on-going thing with you trying to get an existing issue resolved or have you not noticed any problems and Bell just called you out of the blue and offered to sent a tech for free because they noticed you're have problems?

If your internet is working fine and you haven't noticed any problems I wouldn't let them come to fiddle with anything.

It's the latter.
I still have frequent disconnections, but it's during non-peak hours.
Plus the alarm system in the house would disconnect all landlines when it activates/deactivates.
Still debating if I should call them to take up on the "offer".
But I'm hesitant about their billing mess - that seems to be the only consistent thing about Bell in all their services (internet, mobile, tv...)
[OP]
Oct 10, 2010
6 posts
Toronto
redgrandam wrote: I had a bell tech out for a repair on my line. It was determined that it wasn't my internal lines, but he did some stuff anyways, including leaving another modem (the wireless one) on top of the black one I already had. Hopefully they won't be charging me, I never signed anything, no fees were mentioned, and my lines were tested to be fine in the house, however, they didn't find any problem with the 'bell' equipment either. He did a few things 'just in case'. Hopefully I won't get that charge. Did you complain and get it reversed? He only left it for me as a spare 'incase' my current modem died, then I could test to make sure it was the modem with the problem.

Yes, I complained and got it reversed in the next bill.
So it took like 2 months to get the actual money back..
I was on the phone for over 20 mins on hold for a billing person.
Then when I was browsing their website I saw the online chat help, and I got a person their to do the work in 5 mins.
However, I heard that some billing issues cannot be resolved with the online chat. I'd still try that first to save time.
Hope you won't get charged with a ridiculous amount!
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1373 posts
341 upvotes
Ottawa
TOFan wrote: It's the latter.
Plus the alarm system in the house would disconnect all landlines when it activates/deactivates.

Thats how its supposed to work when the alarm dials out to its monitoring station
TOFan wrote: Yes, I complained and got it reversed in the next bill.
So it took like 2 months to get the actual money back..
I was on the phone for over 20 mins on hold for a billing person.
Then when I was browsing their website I saw the online chat help, and I got a person their to do the work in 5 mins.
However, I heard that some billing issues cannot be resolved with the online chat. I'd still try that first to save time.
Hope you won't get charged with a ridiculous amount!

bells billing when it comes to refunds work ona 6 week cycle. I aint kidding i found this out a few yrs back when I kept calling every month to get a credit which didnt appear on the following months bill. finally a CSR explained this to me and after the second months bill i saw the credit appear! when it comes to taking your money they have no hesitation doing it right away :mad:

I also got a call from bell today and i promptly told them that no one was at home!! :)