Expired Hot Deals

[Bell] Bell Sympatico with no home phone line (Naked DSL)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2006 3:29 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Aug 30, 2004
958 posts
35 upvotes

[Bell] Bell Sympatico with no home phone line (Naked DSL)

*Followup- I have Primus VOIP as of May 30/05. I am cancelling my regular phoneline this week. I just called BELL at the number below and they said it takes 3 days to turn off the dialtone for the phone. I keep the same number and use it for High Speed Internet Access.
Irony: I am cancelling the phone line provided by Bell so I can use Primus.
I am on a 3 month free Bell Sympatico Trial Offer. So they are not getting anymore money from me. I asked the lady and she said there was no charge
to turn off the phone line.*

Being an RFDer I am always looking not to pay for something or a good deal.

You can get Bell High Speed Sympatico without home phone service.
I want to get rid of my home phone line ($27 a month) and use my high speed with Comwave that is much cheaper. I though I couldn't do that until I was reading in one of the forums about another issue and I got to thinking. I looked at the bell website and under the boxes where you put in your phone number to check
if High Speed Sympatico is availble in your area there is a caption:

If your local service is not with Bell Canada, or if you don't have a local line, please call1 888 590-2375.

I called Bell this morning and asked about Bell High Speed Sympatico without a Bell or another company's copper phone line and they said it was okay but there was an extra $10 charge per month. Of course I asked him to wave it so he put me on hold and asked someone and then he came back on the phone saying there was no charge if you got the Sympatico High Speed or Ultra, the Lite and lighter there was a $10 charge.

I am going to call Comwave now, get that system up and running and then
cancel my Bell Home phone service. Spend $11.50 or so on Comwave and put the other $15 or dollars in my jeans each month.

The Bell High Speed Sympatico without the home phone service just started yesterday April 1st. Fresh news!

Good savings with high speed and Voip.
178 replies
Sep 7, 2003
144 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for this info

But for ppl who wants to use bell sympatico service instead of rogers , just make sure you surely can use sympatico in your area. I had ordered sympatico and just after order it, i canceled my rogers, but after serveral calls with sympatico technician, my area is available but my home is too far from their server or something, so i cant use it.
Mar 25, 2005
823 posts
25 upvotes
Please let us know how this Comwave is working.
Does it really work well. I am more interested in the option of calling overseas cheap.
Mar 6, 2005
58 posts
Vancouver
ok this is highly interesting

the only thing keeping me hanging on to my landline is my dsl account.

so what do the BELL no-land-line dsl prices come to, finally?

how much are lite, and ultra generally?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2774 posts
101 upvotes
Markham
i am also hanging onto rogers for the same reason.
out of curiosity,does anybody if you can get bell satellite without a land line as well?

from what i knowm you need the phone line to update the stb or something like that....if we could get high speed and expressvu without a phone line that would be really nice for a condo owner like me that uses cell phone instead of phone line.
Feb 23, 2005
667 posts
76 upvotes
Actually, I had the same concern. I called bell sympatico a few days ago. The guy confirmed that my high speed could go without residential line, no extra charge. After I move to my new condo, I'm going to use VoIP then.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
Before dropping your landline - have you tried the VOIP service?

I have tried Vonage and Broadvoxdirect. I did not try Comwave as I thought their advertising was misleading.

Vonage quality was pretty good, but lacked features and was a bit expensive (compared to Bell service).

Broadvoxdirect was the right price, excellent features, and crappy voice quality for me. After several days of trying to get support by email and phone I cancelled Broadvox.

So I guess the bottom line is that you should try it first before having to pay for the reconnection charge back to bell - which I forsee will become more expensive.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3395 posts
6 upvotes
What happens to Voip when theres a power outage?
Dec 29, 2004
85 posts
2 upvotes
Montr
What if my DSL is with Primus? Can I drop my Bell landline? I should hope so...
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
blizzah wrote:What happens to Voip when theres a power outage?
no phone
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5720 posts
508 upvotes
I've had Comwave for a few weeks now. Voice quality is quite good - comparable to normal telephone. The only problem I have is an echo issue which varies depending on whom I call. Sometimes it's not there and other times it can be so severe as to make a conversation impossible. I've been tied up with personal problems and haven't had a chance to call their tech support about this.

The one nuisance with Comwave is that you have to dial 1+ local area code + number for all local calls. Not a big deal once you get used to it. Not sure if this is the same with other VOIP providers.

The only outage I've experienced was when the modem locked up for some reason and I had to turn the power off/on to get it to reset.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
woof wrote:The one nuisance with Comwave is that you have to dial 1+ local area code + number for all local calls. Not a big deal once you get used to it. Not sure if this is the same with other VOIP providers.
Nope, not with Primus or Vonage.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Mar 2, 2004
882 posts
36 upvotes
Markham
blizzah wrote:What happens to Voip when theres a power outage?
Bell will be offering VoIP soon :?: and they will also offer a professional installation to all phone jacks throughtout the home, and installs battery back-up . Charges for this option is being waived for a promotional period when they come out. ;)
× < >