• Sep 10th, 2008 8:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1095 posts
558 upvotes
Montreal
divx wrote: Must be alt.binary ones, heard newsgroup usage not counted toward bandwidth usage, not sure how that works, since news server not available on bell or rogers server.
To use newsgroups to.... backup your files... you need to be subscribed to a news server. Some ISP will provide a free account, but the retention time, speed, and parity simply ****. The big one is Giganews, but there are tens of good companies. It costs about 10$ per month for unlimited access. It is NOT a p2p protocol, it is a client-server protocol. Anyways, you need to browse or get a .nzb index file to download your files, along with a software. I would recommand "Grabit" because it is free, but there are tons of other softwares, like with torrent clients.

Note that you will always get full speed on those servers, and you will find a lot of material. Very nice way of getting your.... things...
Nov 3, 2007
906 posts
63 upvotes
Cambridge
I don't know about the throttling but one thing I do know.

I had such crappy speeds that I went to Rogers.
Way better.

Really fast downloads always good here I must say.
Thats been for several months.

On the extreme plan, sure it costs a few dollars more but I get what I paid for, with bell they admitted the lines by my place were old but no upgrades known.

So its bye bye to me.

leaving bells a nightmare to. :cry:

Try to charge the 100.00 leave but I stuck with it.

Had been on a contract but they took me off when they mailed the white 2 wire modem to me.

After several phone calls plus two "online" sessions" I got the credit.

Over an hour and 10 minutes I did time it.
Mar 31, 2002
35 posts
Bell sucks but when I was with Rogers they called me about a 'copyright violation' after I'd downloaded some torrents. Rogers looks over your shoulder. They are evil. After that experience, I would NEVER go back to rogers for internet service.
Dec 27, 2006
97 posts
guys, ive got a question. im looking into switching to Teksavvy, but heard that they just run over Bell infrastructure. Does this mean that by switching to Teksavvy, I wont notice any increased speeds ? Im a little disappointed with my current Bell speeds at the moment ...
Sep 21, 2003
391 posts
Chilliwack
noreaga wrote: guys, ive got a question. im looking into switching to Teksavvy, but heard that they just run over Bell infrastructure. Does this mean that by switching to Teksavvy, I wont notice any increased speeds ? Im a little disappointed with my current Bell speeds at the moment ...
I came here to ask that very question - I've read yes and no responses in various threads. Anyone have the definitive word?
I'm not an "abusive user" (or whatever Bell calls it). I'm usually between 15-20 GB/month. There was one month though where I got just past 60, but that only happened once. My torrent downloads are definitely throttled - using Azureus right now at a whopping 27kBps. :mad:

I'm ready to call TekSavvy. I want absolute certainty that the throttling won't carry over to their service.
May 16, 2006
410 posts
2 upvotes
Brolo wrote:
I'm ready to call TekSavvy. I want absolute certainty that the throttling won't carry over to their service.
I was never on Bell to being with, so I don't know the difference, but with TS i get usually between 200-300kbps torrent speeds.

Rogers throttled the hell out of my speeds. I'd get about 40 at the highest, and no upload higher than 20. I lost 2 Oink accounts because of them :mad:
Sep 21, 2003
391 posts
Chilliwack
Thanks hankscorpio. I'll switch to TekSavvy soon.

Bell is really ticking me off. My torrents were up to ~225kBps this morning...now how long will that last??? :evil:
Feb 20, 2004
946 posts
325 upvotes
Brolo wrote: Thanks hankscorpio. I'll switch to TekSavvy soon.

Bell is really ticking me off. My torrents were up to ~225kBps this morning...now how long will that last??? :evil:
Until around 5pm, then it'll go down to 30kbps. :mad:
Sep 21, 2003
391 posts
Chilliwack
I'm under contract with Bell until Feb 27. That will be the day that my service gets cancelled and I switch to TekSavvy. I'd like to find two more people who are signing up with TekSavvy so that we can get the group $3/month discount. Please PM me if you're interested and we'll create a group name.
Dec 4, 2007
28 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
I've had bell for the last few years, and I'm going to TekSavvy at the end of the month. I love how for bell anything above 200gigs is abuse, with teksavvy 200gigs is the light plan.

Bell's actually been throttling the heck out of my connection. I do a speed test, and it tells me that I get 700kbps down and 200-300kbps up. I do the same test through the new Vuze, and I get 40K up and 0-20K down. That's with port forwarding and anything else I can think of speed up my connection. I count as an abuser just 'cause I leave my torrents on to seed, but at this point, if I want to download 1 tv show, it'll take all night!

Actually, when I cancelled, they offered me 7megabit, 80gig cap for 30$. They also started to slander the other guys, which was a little funny.

It 2 weeks, I'll know if teksavvy throttles or not ^_^
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
yoelbenyossef wrote: I've had bell for the last few years, and I'm going to TekSavvy at the end of the month. I love how for bell anything above 200gigs is abuse, with teksavvy 200gigs is the light plan.

Bell's actually been throttling the heck out of my connection. I do a speed test, and it tells me that I get 700kbps down and 200-300kbps up. I do the same test through the new Vuze, and I get 40K up and 0-20K down. That's with port forwarding and anything else I can think of speed up my connection. I count as an abuser just 'cause I leave my torrents on to seed, but at this point, if I want to download 1 tv show, it'll take all night!

Actually, when I cancelled, they offered me 7megabit, 80gig cap for 30$. They also started to slander the other guys, which was a little funny.

It 2 weeks, I'll know if teksavvy throttles or not ^_^
Teksavvy does not throttle your connections but because they are a Bell third party reseller you connection will more than likely be throttled for torrents. Do a search in this forum and you will find a ton of info on this.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)