• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 6:01 pm
[OP]
Jun 20, 2009
403 posts
74 upvotes
Brampton

Bell Unlimited 300 Mbps+Better TV for $100 p.m

Last year I got great deal from Rogers sales person at my door. Now Bell guy is offering the following for $100 p.m (all 3 services). Will be calling Rogers if they will match otherwise I am thinking to switch. Any thoughts?

1. Unlimited internet with 300 mbps speed (fibre optic dedicated line)
2. Better TV package + 4 multicultural channels
3. PVR box + 1 wireless transmitted for 2nd TV
4. Home phone

Promotion is for 1 year. No contract for internet/2 years for TV

Question: Right now, I have 1gigabit with rogers. Bell is offering 300 mbps but dedicated line. Which gives better speed practically?
Last edited by musicmastomagic on Nov 10th, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
48 replies
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
1755 posts
510 upvotes
North York
I would take the Bell Fibe 300 over the Rogers Gigabit. Guaranteed speed of 300mbps and upload speed of 100mbps compared to 30mbps upload.

This is also the wrong place to ask.
Jan 3, 2013
165 posts
57 upvotes
NORTH YORK
how much is ur plan?
Apr 28, 2013
87 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Just don't fall for bells "fibre " talk, its all marketing bs.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2009
403 posts
74 upvotes
Brampton
Can you elaborate a bit? I am paying almost same to Rogers (about $5 more).......the only thing I am getting extra from bell is 4 multicultural channels and wireless box.....which is nice but I can do without them. It comes down to speed for me.
Jan 22, 2015
10 posts
6 upvotes
Montr
I don't exactly know the quality of internet at your house, but from my experience the guaranteed 300 will be better in the long run than the 1 gigabit from Rogers, which tend to fluctuate a lot. This is my opinion, both will probably end up great, but Bell will be more consistent, and you also get a few extras.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6776 posts
2215 upvotes
Markham
Be careful with Bell promos, read your contract thoroughly. They love making you sign a 2-year contract for only 1 year of discounts.

One would naturally think a 2-year term would be for the obligation AND discount.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Feb 13, 2005
763 posts
276 upvotes
je1992 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:26 pm
I don't exactly know the quality of internet at your house, but from my experience the guaranteed 300 will be better in the long run than the 1 gigabit from Rogers, which tend to fluctuate a lot. This is my opinion, both will probably end up great, but Bell will be more consistent, and you also get a few extras.
I must be lucky as my roger gigabit barely fluctuates. On a bad day I can go as low as 750mbps so stil 2.5x faster then bell.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
2485 posts
1774 upvotes
Toronto
gabe3366 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:05 pm
Just don't fall for bells "fibre " talk, its all marketing bs.
I think Rogers is BS, their speeds are never what you're paying for. Bell in my area is really good, it's area dependent.
Mar 15, 2010
431 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
I wish our government would clamp down and make a clause like we have with the cell phone providers, whereby the price you agree upon never changes so long as you never change the plan. With Bell, I have to constantly call them every year because any sort of discount I get only lasts for about a year or so. If I dont call after the year, my bill goes up exponentially. I hate having to argue with them and basically be on my knees begging for a promotion similar to that of new customers like this OP. I am paying $130 for 25mbps and the Select TV package, which is one notch lower than Better package. My bill will be going up another $10 after November unless they can offer me a new discount. Would love to somehow get the OP deal, but be warned OP, you will be treated like $hit once you have signed the forms, dotted the i's and crossed the t's
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4247 posts
2591 upvotes
North York
Nexzen wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:33 pm
I think Rogers is BS, their speeds are never what you're paying for. Bell in my area is really good, it's area dependent.
When i was in Rogers zone, I had 250/20, and whenever I tested, it was almost always 300/24.

When i was with Bell, no complaint about speed, as I was probably get the advertised speed. But I'll definitely complain and pass the warning not to go with Bell and their ever-increasing price.

I signed up for the 50/10 Student Special $50/month, price "guaranteed" for 8 months (school year for University student, back in August 2010. My August 2010 bill was $50. Sep $55, Oct $60. I called to ask, they pretty much said, 1st $5 increase was universal increase for everyone on Dell's network, 2nd $5 increase was blah blah blah. I did not want to listen anymore. Told them my price was guaranteed, they said there was no such thing.
I hung up, paid exactly $50 + tax for every month and cancelled at the end of 8 month at the store. They asked for extra, I showed them the paperwork when I signed up, not paying a cent more.

Couple months later, they called to ask for my overall satisfactory experience, and see if they can get me back. Honestly, never had I been so satisfied after some stern talk to them on that phone call. And I told them, this phone call was the only thing Dell satisfied me .
May 7, 2010
471 posts
18 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
musicmastomagic wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:00 pm
Last year I got great deal from Rogers sales person at my door. Now Bell guy is offering the following. Will be calling Rogers if they will match otherwise I am thinking to switch. Any thoughts?

1. Unlimited internet with 300 mbps speed (fibre optic dedicated line)
2. Better TV package + 4 multicultural channels
3. PVR box + 1 wireless transmitted for 2nd TV
4. $100 Visa gift card to take care of any cancellation fee.

Question: Right now, I have 1gigabit with rogers. Bell is offering 300 mbps but dedicated line. Which gives better speed practically?
Is this for 1 or 2 years?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
1045 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
We had the same offer and made the switch to Bell back in late May. They had just rolled out fiber in our neighbourhood.

The installation experience was bad. The first tech wanted to have an easy install and place the homehub 3000 in a place that would be the most convenient for him. He did not want to run a longer wire to a alternate location in the house that would provide us with better Wifi coverage. He said he would call his fiber roll-out crew to determine if they can run a longer cable for us. He never called and left a note on the file that he provided us with 1 option and we were deciding if we wanted to install there or not. The second technician that came did absolutely everything that we wanted and installed the model in our main living space as we had requested and not a room in the corner of the house.

Once we had everything installed in May, I have been calling the billing department every month till this day (I' not exaggerating) , I had to call every month to get the Bill fixed because the right discounts were not applied. I have personally spent 6+ hours on the phone resolving billing issues and being assured that everything was resolved. They also forgot to tell rogers to cancel my service with Rogers and Rogers billed me for a month that I never used saying that they never received a cancellation request from Bell. Thankfully Bell reimbursed that because it was their mistake.

The entire experience has left a sour taste in my mouth about dealing with Bell.

If Rogers is giving you a relatively comparable price, just stick with them, otherwise if you want to save some $$, make the switch and be prepared for bad service.
Jan 17, 2012
108 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Re. Bell vs Rogers.
I have had issues with both but Rogers has improved the customer service substantially in the past couple of years.

I originally installed Bell Gigabit at home. It broke on day 2, their tech support and customer service was terrible.
After a long chat they decided to send a technician... their scheduling is terrible, first available appointment was 4 days later.
I cancelled Bell on that day. Called Rogers, in 2 hours a technician was in my place and Rogers Gigabit was working.

Bell does have faster upload speeds in my area, I was getting 100 no problem but download speeds in the 400-500.
With Rogers the upload is worse, it's 50-60 but download is 600-700. Price was the same (100 bucks for gigabit + cable)
Although I would love the 100 upload speeds, Bell's terrible customer service is a deal breaker.
I "broke up" with Bell in 2011. Gave them another chance a few months ago but in one day I could tell they were the same terrible company as before.
Also Bell has very limited in-store support.
Rogers may have shortcomings but the few times the internet was down, they always came over on the very same day. I also like the peace of mind of obtaining full service in any of their stores.