Bell wants to censor the internet

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 12:16 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
carmaster wrote: Bell is so dumb. They should be fined.
I'm not here to side with Bell or Rogers or any telco, but your comments make you look immature. name calling is a sign of guilt. your obviously guilty of pirating if u go around name calling.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: I'm not here to side with Bell or Rogers or any telco, but your comments make you look immature. name calling is a sign of guilt. your obviously guilty of pirating if u go around name calling.
Clearly you work for the telecom industry.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
carmaster wrote: Clearly you work for the telecom industry.
I do not actually, I work in the restaurant industry. I just pay for things I want, and Television is one of them. We have Television in my restaurant, we PAY our bill and our bill costs more than what you would pay at home because commercial establishments have commercial packages. Television bring in customers to our restaurant.
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: I do not actually, I work in the restaurant industry. I just pay for things I want, and Television is one of them. We have Television in my restaurant, we PAY our bill and our bill costs more than what you would pay at home because commercial establishments have commercial packages. Television bring in customers to our restaurant.
So you are ok with paying the ridiculous prices Bell and these telecom giants charge? Some of the highest internet prices in the world.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
What is my other choice? get an android box and have illegal cable? I run a reputable business, Yeah then get sued by the content owners. I run a legit reputable business, I also follow the law
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: What is my other choice? get an android box and have illegal cable? I run a reputable business, Yeah then get sued by the content owners. I run a legit reputable business, I also follow the law
"Viewers accessing unauthorized streaming websites are unlikely to be infringing copyright because merely watching a non-downloaded stream does not run afoul of the law..."
Source: https://www.thestar.com/business/2015/0 ... geist.html

That being said, the stream is exactly that. It's an as is deal and not worth the risk.
It might be okay for home use.
If a stream acts up, friends might be forgiving. (assuming the problem is fixed quickly)
However, a restaurant owner can not afford to risk replacing cable (a secure viewing method) with a stream that could go down or act up, upsetting (valued) customers.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
That's fine and dandy, but Would YOU take the risk? and if you did how would YOU feel if you got caught and punished by the law? well thats exactly how someone I know was, until the ttime they got caught, getting caught changes your whole views on breaking the law, you start to realize its not worth it man, and risking a criminal record or even jail time for something so stupid like trying to steal tv shows isnt worth it. trust me, the person I know is regretting it big time, it ain't worth it. Props to the companies who want to censor these bad guys
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: That's fine and dandy, but Would YOU take the risk? and if you did how would YOU feel if you got caught and punished by the law? well thats exactly how someone I know was, until the ttime they got caught, getting caught changes your whole views on breaking the law, you start to realize its not worth it man, and risking a criminal record or even jail time for something so stupid like trying to steal tv shows isnt worth it. trust me, the person I know is regretting it big time, it ain't worth it. Props to the companies who want to censor these bad guys
What risk? It is NOT illegal to stream non downloaded content. Using a box to watch NBC New York instead of CTV Toronto is not illegal. Watching an ESPN stream instead of TSN is also not illegal.

If anything should be illegal it should be the gouging from Bell and Rogers (etc) with the mentality that you will pay ANYTHING.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/bell-and ... -sportsnet
Oct 24, 2004
829 posts
192 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: That's fine and dandy, but Would YOU take the risk? and if you did how would YOU feel if you got caught and punished by the law? well thats exactly how someone I know was, until the ttime they got caught, getting caught changes your whole views on breaking the law, you start to realize its not worth it man, and risking a criminal record or even jail time for something so stupid like trying to steal tv shows isnt worth it. trust me, the person I know is regretting it big time, it ain't worth it. Props to the companies who want to censor these bad guys
The person you know is regretting what? If he’s in trouble for streaming he didn’t do anything wrong it’s not illegal.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
Tell that to his lawyer Im pretty sure lawyers know the laws better than you. anyways its a risk im not willing to take, u can do it for all you want, but if you get caught, don't come crying to me
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Tell that to his lawyer Im pretty sure lawyers know the laws better than you. anyways its a risk im not willing to take, u can do it for all you want, but if you get caught, don't come crying to me
I don't think you and the rest of us here are talking about the same thing.
Here's a good read for you: https://www.thestar.com/business/2015/0 ... geist.html

Android boxes that stream are not breaking the law.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
GoodFellaz wrote: I do not actually, I work in the restaurant industry. I just pay for things I want, and Television is one of them. We have Television in my restaurant, we PAY our bill and our bill costs more than what you would pay at home because commercial establishments have commercial packages. Television bring in customers to our restaurant.
Didn't you admit to stealing tips in another forum?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
webshark wrote: Didn't you admit to stealing tips in another forum?
Yeah and I lost my job because of that, that was the price I PAID to break the law, it sucks but it taught me a lesson to never do it again.
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Yeah and I lost my job because of that, that was the price I PAID to break the law, it sucks but it taught me a lesson to never do it again.
Sure, but it's still not illegal to watch a stream.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Sure, but it's still not illegal to watch a stream.
sure is buddy.
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Cry me a river folks, I sure damn know you guys like to pirate movies and TV shows, most of the people crying and bitching are the ones who are too cheap to PAY for their TV content and are some how "surprised" when companies take measures to not have tv shows leaked onto the net, wow your surprised? what did u think would happen? you think those free movies and tv shows would continue? well I feel sorry for y'all living in this imaginary bubble.

PAy for your god damn shows, if you cant afford it, DONT WATCH IT THEN, get a better job, make more money like the rest of us and pay for it legally.
Someone really missed the point of the article, didn't they? Bell is trying to censor your internet because people aren't paying for their useless broadcast TV packages as much as they used to. I'm not sure if you're aware, but you can easily pay for everything you ever want to watch without ever having a broadcast TV package. I know I do. Itunes, Google Play, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, the local library, and actual physical media sales are much more convenient and cost effective than broadcast TV, and you don't have to wait very long for newer shows to appear on these services to be bought legally. Game of Thrones was up for sale on Google just 3 weeks after the episodes aired recently, for example.

Bell is trying the same thing the music industry did and trying to blame piracy for failing to adapt to the market. They're flailing around and trying to implement widespread censorship that will only grow in the future because they've priced themselves out of their own market and people are reacting as expected.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: sure is buddy.
Can you post a link to back that up?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Can you post a link to back that up?
No
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: No
Didn't think so. Furthermore, do you really believe that a name brand internet streaming box would be sold at the CNE in Toronto, Canada in the Enercare centre out in the open if it were illegal?
I'm not talking about something bought in some dark alley somewhere.
Those "regulars" are also there (at least 3 companies) year after year with no one shutting them down.