Home & Garden

Bell wire/NID connection instructions available?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2008 9:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
1352 posts
365 upvotes

Bell wire/NID connection instructions available?

My new house has one of the new Bell network interface device (NID) boxes with slots for wires to four telephone jacks. The Bell technician wanted $200 to connect our seven jacks to this NID. He said that the job is easy to do so I declined his services.

I can connect the wires for four jacks to the NID without problems but I can't figure out how to double-up the wires for the three additional jacks. I can't find any instructions on the Net. If you understand what I'm writing about and you've done this, a quick hint would be appreciated! :)
11 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10903 posts
1321 upvotes
Bunyak wrote:
Jun 5th, 2008 4:30 pm
...I can connect the wires for four jacks to the NID without problems but I can't figure out how to double-up the wires for the three additional jacks....
All Red to red, all black to black, all yellow to yellow and all green to green. Take the wires from one of the connections to the NID and connect it to a junction box. Then connect the 3 other connections plus the one that used to be at the NID to the junction box.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4149 posts
267 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
This depends on how your new house was wired.

If it was done the way most houses in the GTA are, then you have a bunch of cat3 3-pair run around the house. Or even cat5e if you are lucky.

If you have just one phone line coming into the house then the only thing you need to worry about is the blue pair of wires. A pair is a solid colour and the same colour with white interleaved. In this case it's blue, and blue/white.

On a phone jack you need to connect the blue wire to the red terminal, and the blue/white wire to the green terminal.

Hopefully that is enough to help you out.
-
Alarms, Cameras, Vacuums, GDOs, TVs, Home Automation and other electronics. This is what I do. phand.ca
Feb 6, 2002
425 posts
6 upvotes
Does anyone have tips on how to open up the NID box without the special hex?

Also, if I read the post correctly all I have to do is connect the blue wire from the box to the blue wire going into my house and the blue/white wire from the box to the blue/white wire going into my house? Then go inside my house and connect up my jacks? and Bobs your uncle? :cheesygri
Jan 17, 2002
667 posts
12 upvotes
My place was wired with Cat5e what is the advantage?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4149 posts
267 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
What special hex are you referring to? The last model and the current model just use a flathead screwdriver on one screw.

The old ones >20 years you just had to slide off.

If you need help doing this for you home, please feel free to contact me. I've done hundreds of these things.

mavvee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 12:21 am
Does anyone have tips on how to open up the NID box without the special hex?

Also, if I read the post correctly all I have to do is connect the blue wire from the box to the blue wire going into my house and the blue/white wire from the box to the blue/white wire going into my house? Then go inside my house and connect up my jacks? and Bobs your uncle? :cheesygri
-
Alarms, Cameras, Vacuums, GDOs, TVs, Home Automation and other electronics. This is what I do. phand.ca
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4149 posts
267 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
leafs wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 8:06 am
My place was wired with Cat5e what is the advantage?
It should be home run and also allow you to use them as network connections instead of phone connections.
-
Jan 17, 2002
667 posts
12 upvotes
Is there enough wires to use on cable for both data and phone?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
1352 posts
365 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote:
Jun 5th, 2008 6:17 pm
This depends on how your new house was wired.

If it was done the way most houses in the GTA are, then you have a bunch of cat3 3-pair run around the house. Or even cat5e if you are lucky.

If you have just one phone line coming into the house then the only thing you need to worry about is the blue pair of wires. A pair is a solid colour and the same colour with white interleaved. In this case it's blue, and blue/white.

On a phone jack you need to connect the blue wire to the red terminal, and the blue/white wire to the green terminal.

Hopefully that is enough to help you out.
Thanks for the assistance but my specific issue is with the hinged orange-coloured connectors in the Bell NID. I can insert one white and one blue wire into each orange connector in the NID. However, since I have seven phone jacks and the NID only has four connectors, I have to insert two of each wire in three of the connectors. The connector doesn't want to "hold" two white or two blue wires for me.

If I can't connect all seven jacks, I'll just choose four jacks inside the house to be connected...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4149 posts
267 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Bunyak wrote:
Jun 6th, 2008 9:44 am
Thanks for the assistance but my specific issue is with the hinged orange-coloured connectors in the Bell NID. I can insert one white and one blue wire into each orange connector in the NID. However, since I have seven phone jacks and the NID only has four connectors, I have to insert two of each wire in three of the connectors. The connector doesn't want to "hold" two white or two blue wires for me.

If I can't connect all seven jacks, I'll just choose four jacks inside the house to be connected...
Oh those are the new new ones. They just started using those. Somewhat of a pain in the butt compared to the previous screw types.

Yes, one wire per terminal. You then branch to somewhere else where you connect all the wiring together. Do NOT connect everything together in the NID.

You can connect them all together using a terminal strip, 110 punchdown block, or just twist them together and hold them with a clothes pin :)
-
Oct 22, 2008
1 posts
Scarborough
Hello. A Bell tech. gave me a new NID but I can't figure how how to wire it.
Can you post a diagram?
:cheesygri
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4149 posts
267 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Did the Bell tech not wire anything up for you?
-
× < >