Automotive

Locked: Belligerent cyclists - Stories? Experiences? Was I wrong?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2012 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1483 upvotes

Belligerent cyclists - Stories? Experiences? Was I wrong?

Today I got into a yelling match with a cyclist. I have never done this before, with anyone.

I was driving slowly down Parliament in Cabbagetown, fairly close to the parked cars on the single-lane per direction road without thinking because I was looking for a parking spot in an unfamiliar place. This 30's-looking hipster geek chick on a bike actually told me as she was passing by that I should learn to not block cyclists or something. I seriously didn't see her and she must have come from a side road because before I got to the vicinity of my stop, I was driving normally and I usually check around, especially in areas where cyclists are common. Being a regular bike rider myself has made me generally paranoid and on the watch for them.

Anyway, I was pissed at her rudeness so I drove a little further past the coffee shop I was looking for and said "listen b**** don't preach at me on your s***** $50 bike" and parked in my spot.

She actually got off her bike and walked towards me so I knew this was going to be fun. Well she didn't get too close but I was going to stay for a while in case she tried to vandalize my Binky (my car's name). She told me that if I was going to drive I should share the road and drive well. I said "Well excuse me, even if I am a bad driver get over it, move on and just be thankful you're not hurt but starting s*** with me is rude. Then she said I'm the rude one because I should be apologizing. Then I said, "Excuse me, do you even drive? Can you even afford a car with your $50 bike?" Nope, she did not retort that she does drive. For the rest of the time I made wahwahwah noises and flapped my hand like you do when someone is saying things you don't care about and after a while she walked off.

I realize this whole exchange was crude and immature and does not reflect well upon me but I drive AND bike a lot and people need to be forgiving of honest mistakes. Obviously if I knew she was behind me I would have given her lots of space like I always do and like to have when I am on my bike but with her self-righteousness, it felt good to tell her off. Anyone who bikes or drives around will know that someone who is less skilled or aware than you (or distracted) will offend you at one point or another; it happens to everyone. When it happens to me I don't get confrontational.

I believe some cyclists have lots of undue aggression. Once when I was walking home from the supermarket with my groceries, I saw a cyclist slapping his hand on the top of a car's hood because (I think? didn't see the whole thing) the car moved up beside his wife's bike at an intersection which he felt was too dangerous. For all I know the driver may have been wrong. However, I don't believe that justifies him being an ahole.

Thoughts? You can tell me that I'm wrong and should learn to drive better. I just want more opinions, that's all.
Share:
75 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2755 posts
481 upvotes
Ajax
Cyclists are dicks
Bike lanes are such a waste of money!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6040 posts
707 upvotes
Greely
I know you were just pissed off, but it was immature to keep pointing out her $50 bike. So what if it's a $50 bike? Or a $5000 bike? Does that change your argument?

You've gotta be careful who you snap at these days. It's just not worth it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1483 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 8:11 pm
I know you were just pissed off, but it was immature to keep pointing out her $50 bike. So what if it's a $50 bike? Or a $5000 bike? Does that change your argument?

You've gotta be careful who you snap at these days. It's just not worth it.
Yes, I know it was very immature. BTW I've had a beloved dirty mountain bike that my dad picked up from goodness knows where for many years. The intent was not to compare wallet sizes (I know it comes across that way) but to piss her off because I was pissed off. But it really did look like a beat up POS and she was wearing a shiny goofy looking scooter helmet with it. The whole manifestation of this personality grated on me, and her attitude seemed to imply that I am not a cyclist (see "sharing the road with bikes" comment) when in all likelihood I do it more than she does. Also, telling me to drive well - so she's never been lost and looking for a parking spot? Even the best drivers will have to slow down. It's a one-lane road. If the bike wanted to take up the whole lane I would have to wait behind it. And if I accidentally or fully wanted to take up the whole lane with my car, then the cyclist can also wait behind. At the pace she was cycling she had lots of time to waste.

And yes, it's true that you've gotta be careful who you snap at. I'm crazy. :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 4, 2004
3891 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
There are s*itty bikers and s*itty drivers.
This is what happens when they meet.

You both need to calm down.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1483 upvotes
mjl_toronto wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 8:23 pm
There are s*itty bikers and s*itty drivers.
This is what happens when they meet.

You both need to calm down.
Thank you.

At least I'm aware that I could have driven better at that moment. Dumb hipster fattie was oblivious.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20107 posts
4069 upvotes
Poormond Hill
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 7:46 pm
Today I got into a yelling match with a cyclist. I have never done this before, with anyone.

I was driving slowly down Parliament in Cabbagetown, fairly close to the parked cars on the single-lane per direction road without thinking because I was looking for a parking spot in an unfamiliar place. This 30's-looking hipster geek chick on a bike actually told me as she was passing by that I should learn to not block cyclists or something. I seriously didn't see her and she must have come from a side road because before I got to the vicinity of my stop, I was driving normally and I usually check around, especially in areas where cyclists are common. Being a regular bike rider myself has made me generally paranoid and on the watch for them.

Anyway, I was pissed at her rudeness so I drove a little further past the coffee shop I was looking for and said "listen b**** don't preach at me on your s***** $50 bike" and parked in my spot.

She actually got off her bike and walked towards me so I knew this was going to be fun. Well she didn't get too close but I was going to stay for a while in case she tried to vandalize my Binky (my car's name). She told me that if I was going to drive I should share the road and drive well. I said "Well excuse me, even if I am a bad driver get over it, move on and just be thankful you're not hurt but starting s*** with me is rude. Then she said I'm the rude one because I should be apologizing. Then I said, "Excuse me, do you even drive? Can you even afford a car with your $50 bike?" Nope, she did not retort that she does drive. For the rest of the time I made wahwahwah noises and flapped my hand like you do when someone is saying things you don't care about and after a while she walked off.

I realize this whole exchange was crude and immature and does not reflect well upon me but I drive AND bike a lot and people need to be forgiving of honest mistakes. Obviously if I knew she was behind me I would have given her lots of space like I always do and like to have when I am on my bike but with her self-righteousness, it felt good to tell her off. Anyone who bikes or drives around will know that someone who is less skilled or aware than you (or distracted) will offend you at one point or another; it happens to everyone. When it happens to me I don't get confrontational.

I believe some cyclists have lots of undue aggression. Once when I was walking home from the supermarket with my groceries, I saw a cyclist slapping his hand on the top of a car's hood because (I think? didn't see the whole thing) the car moved up beside his wife's bike at an intersection which he felt was too dangerous. For all I know the driver may have been wrong. However, I don't believe that justifies him being an ahole.

Thoughts? You can tell me that I'm wrong and should learn to drive better. I just want more opinions, that's all.
You should have called it peace over a cup of coffee.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 7:46 pm
Today I got into a yelling match with a cyclist. I have never done this before, with anyone.

I was driving slowly down Parliament in Cabbagetown, fairly close to the parked cars on the single-lane per direction road without thinking because I was looking for a parking spot in an unfamiliar place. This 30's-looking hipster geek chick on a bike actually told me as she was passing by that I should learn to not block cyclists or something. I seriously didn't see her and she must have come from a side road because before I got to the vicinity of my stop, I was driving normally and I usually check around, especially in areas where cyclists are common. Being a regular bike rider myself has made me generally paranoid and on the watch for them.
Sounds like you were completely in the wrong and should have apologized to her and moved on with your life. Instead you get your panties in a bunch and start throwing the lamest, childish insults ever? Even after the fact in your replies to this thread you can't get over the fact that she's riding (in your opinion) a less than amazing bike. Grow up. Who cares what kind of helmet she was wearing? "Hipster fatty"? :facepalm: Seriously. Grow the ***** up.

And this is coming from someone who can't stand the holier than thou, sense of entitlement cyclists that you seem to be incorrectly placing her among.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
2697 posts
290 upvotes
Learn how to drive.
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Banned
User avatar
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
When I was out on my ride tonight, 2 cars turned left in front of me in separate incidents, causing me to brake suddenly, despite the fact that I was in very bright clothing and had a flashing light that hurts when you stare at it. Drivers need to be much more aware of what is going on around them. Motorcyclists feel the same way about 'cagers.'

There are some drivers that I just love, though, especially the ones who go 3/4 of the way into the oncoming lane to give me space on the 80 km/h road on the way to work. There is one guy who passes me on some mornings, though, that thinks the goal is to come as close as he can to hitting me with his pickup truck extended mirror without actually touching me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7860 posts
827 upvotes
It's time cyclists are licensed and insured since they are using the same roads that licensed and insured vehicles are on. If a cyclist strikes someone and causes a catastrophic injury, who will cover the medical and income bills? The taxpayer? If this is the case and politicians won't address this then no one should be required to be licensed or insured.
Banned
User avatar
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:31 pm
It's time cyclists are licensed and insured since they are using the same roads that licensed and insured vehicles are on. If a cyclist strikes someone and causes a catastrophic injury, who will cover the medical and income bills? The taxpayer? If this is the case and politicians won't address this then no one should be required to be licensed or insured.
Sorry, you are worried about peanutz in his car named "Binky", who was probably listening to Gangnam Style at full volume at the time? Believe me, cyclists do not win in collisions.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7860 posts
827 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:37 pm
Sorry, you are worried about peanutz in his car named "Binky", who was probably listening to Gangnam Style at full volume at the time? Believe me, cyclists do not win in collisions.
With pedestrians more than likely they do. If you were struck by someone riding a bike and were deemed catastrophic, I'm sure you'd be thinking otherwise. What's wrong with people having insurance and being licensed to use the road?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1483 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:37 pm
Sorry, you are worried about peanutz in his car named "Binky", who was probably listening to Gangnam Style at full volume at the time? Believe me, cyclists do not win in collisions.
Why do people keep thinking I'm a man, LOL. Yes, my car is Binky. She smiles at me. And no, my speakers were quiet when I was looking for my spot.

And just because cyclists do not win in collisions, does not mean that they get to act like dbags. Same with pedestrians.

SleepyMcGee - it's just the truth. She was kinda chubby and had hipster style. You're right, I shouldn't trash her bike. In my mind I don't actually but in my pissed-off state I thought I'd make fun of it.

But if you're going to tell me to grow up, people should also be considerate about having to share the road. There was a reason why I was slowed down, and I wasn't about to hurt anyone. Annoy? Yes. It happens, and it was temporary. Throwing verbal jabs at other people aren't going to honey them up. And she reversed on her path to come to me, not the other way around, super-mature. ;)

Keep the comments coming, though.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
2697 posts
290 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:44 pm
Why do people keep thinking I'm a man, LOL. Yes, my car is Binky. She smiles at me. And no, my speakers were quiet when I was looking for my spot.

And just because cyclists do not win in collisions, does not mean that they get to act like dbags. Same with pedestrians.

SleepyMcGee - it's just the truth. She was kinda chubby and had hipster style. You're right, I shouldn't trash her bike. In my mind I don't actually but in my pissed-off state I thought I'd make fun of it.

But if you're going to tell me to grow up, people should also be considerate about having to share the road. There was a reason why I was slowed down, and I wasn't about to hurt anyone. Annoy? Yes. It happens, and it was temporary. Throwing verbal jabs at other people aren't going to honey them up. And she reversed on her path to come to me, not the other way around, super-mature. ;)

Keep the comments coming, though.

Go back to driving school.
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived

Top