Automotive

Locked: Belligerent cyclists - Stories? Experiences? Was I wrong?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2012 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
BTW I just remembered just yesterday, on my way to work at an all-way stop, a stupid kid (not even wearing a helmet and going towards the local high school) comes up from behind on my rightside, and cuts me off and does a left-turn in front of me just as I'm pushing the gas pedal. Am I going to get huffy and shake my fist and yell at him? Nope...it happens. Most people move on in their day without getting into altercations.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1310 posts
106 upvotes
Cyclists are a**holes.

Anyone else notice that they will NEVER slow down or stop because they don't want to lose momentum or speed even if it's for safety purposes.

They always believe the drive must yield in EVERY situation. (even if its the law i'm not sure)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
epik89 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:57 pm
Cyclists are a**holes.

Anyone else notice that they will NEVER slow down or stop because they don't want to lose momentum or speed even if it's for safety purposes.

They always believe the drive must yield in EVERY situation. (even if its the law i'm not sure)
Comment on the situation, not in generalities of motorists vs. cyclists. ;) I'm both, and lots of other people are.

But yeah, I agree with you that IMO I've met more ahole cyclists than drivers because at least drivers are required to be licensed whereas any idiot schmuck can get on a bike and be on the road.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
960 upvotes
It goes both ways.

Cyclists have to WATCH out for cars too. The idiot cyclists I see are almost like they dare you to hit them or run over them. No courtesy for cars.

And when you are driving slowly, they love to pass you on your right, one inch from your mirror even if they know you are just about to start a parallel park, or turn right or whatever.

Maybe that one chance when you dont see a bike thats okay because the bike is also watching for you so the bike can move. But in some cases the bikes just keep riding and think they really do own the road and cars will all magically stop around them because they are in their spandex and bike lane.

Driving is bad out there for everyone, even cars have it bad with other drivers of cars, bikes should expect it to be potential for danger too, not go around lecturing people to watch for bikes.
Damn youre on the road, usually you just watch for other cars in the road, not some bike jumping off the sidewalk or some side street in your path or being passed on the right when you are turning right at an intersection waiting for pedestrians, etc.

100% to quote you, she came from a side road and you didnt see her. A car at a side road would have DTR and actually stop. Bikes just blaze right through, how safe can that be. Bikes should slow down and make sure cars see them too.
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 7:46 pm
I seriously didn't see her and she must have come from a side road because before I got to the vicinity of my stop, I was driving normally and I usually check around, especially in areas where cyclists are common. Being a regular bike rider myself has made me generally paranoid and on the watch for them.
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:44 pm
But if you're going to tell me to grow up, people should also be considerate about having to share the road. There was a reason why I was slowed down, and I wasn't about to hurt anyone. Annoy? Yes.
Slowing down to look for a parking spot isn't very "considerate about having to share the road". You pulled closer to the parked cars, I assume to allow cars space to pass you...but you also blocked this cyclist by doing so.

She was not self-righteous in the slightest, at least not from the story you've told. Probably a chip on her shoulder sure, she didn't need to confront you either, but you escalated it completely unneccesarily...driving past where you were going to continue the bitchfest.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39849 posts
3920 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I wouldn't be quick to say that.

-99.9% of people don't drive the speed limit
-most people don't check blind spots
-if drivers are so good why are so many in ditches in the winter time... Yet I never see a cyclist on the side of road due to nagging injuries of slipping on ice cycling in the winter. Mad skills!
-People do not follow the rules of stop signs
-no one checks their blind spots when making right turns
-no one stops at a red light to make a right turn
-hit and run. less then 1% of parking lot accidents with no witnesses leave a note
-cars kill people. Some people even use their cars to kill people and run away

This is a hopeless debate. There are way more motorist then there are 'true' cyclist. Even with ped's on wheels taken into consideration. (see note 1)

Note 1 : Ped's on wheels refers to 'pedestrians on wheels'. People in the cycling community consider these types of people as merely pedestrians on wheels because they do not follow the rules of the road and hold little to no ties to cycling culture or the cycling community.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
JohnB, totally with you on your post.
JohnB wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:06 pm
Damn youre on the road, usually you just watch for other cars in the road, not some bike jumping off the sidewalk or some side street in your path or being passed on the right when you are turning right at an intersection waiting for pedestrians, etc.

100% to quote you, she came from a side road and you didnt see her. A car at a side road would have DTR and actually stop. Bikes just blaze right through, how safe can that be. Bikes should slow down and make sure cars see them too.
I ALWAYS check my right side for cyclists whenever I do a right turn or parallel park. Every single time, without fail. But when I'm driving straight, I do it in intervals. That's just the way it is. Apparently I didn't check in timely enough fashion for this woman.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
960 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:01 pm
Comment on the situation, not in generalities of motorists vs. cyclists. ;) I'm both, and lots of other people are.

But yeah, I agree with you that IMO I've met more ahole cyclists than drivers because at least drivers are required to be licensed whereas any idiot schmuck can get on a bike and be on the road.
In my area there is this new ***** craze I see at least 3-4 times a week. Joggers or Pedestrians using the cycling lanes. They are jogging or on a skateboard, or pushing a baby carriage while jogging (seriously) but they still go 1inch from the solid line from your 50km/h car because joggers want to run in the bike lane now.

And I occasionally see cyclists talking on their CELL PHONE in the bike lane, its like a new trend. How safe can that be...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:08 pm
Slowing down to look for a parking spot isn't very "considerate about having to share the road". You pulled closer to the parked cars, I assume to allow cars space to pass you...but you also blocked this cyclist by doing so.
So she is backed into a corner and forced to talk down to me instead of... passing on my left?

Duh?

I do it all the time.

And yeah, I did escalate it. It was delicious. And so did she. :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
JohnB wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:13 pm
In my area there is this new ***** craze I see at least 3-4 times a week. Joggers or Pedestrians using the cycling lanes. They are jogging or on a skateboard, or pushing a baby carriage while jogging (seriously) but they still go 1inch from the solid line from your 50km/h car because joggers want to run in the bike lane now.

And I occasionally see cyclists talking on their CELL PHONE in the bike lane, its like a new trend. How safe can that be...
ARE YOU AROUND HIGH PARK? Because I see this.

And they often do it going AGAINST the direction of regular traffic. Sometimes police set up speed traps around that park and I want to ask them do they ever ask them to stay on the sidewalk? Usually I'm OK with sharing the bike lane with joggers too but sometimes they jog shoulder-to-shoulder with another jogger and take up the whole space. I've almost collided with a pair of joggers doing this because neither of us could make up our minds which way to pass--jogging as a pair and going in the wrong direction--and had them tell me to turn on my lights even when it was light outside. I actually passed *between* them.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39849 posts
3920 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:15 pm
So she is backed into a corner and forced to talk down to me instead of... passing on my left?

Duh?

I do it all the time.

And yeah, I did escalate it. It was delicious. And so did she. :)
You aren't suppose to. You slow down if you find a spot and start to engage in parking. Doing what you did obstructs traffic for bost cars and cyclist.

When looking for a parking spot you're suppose to look far ahead. It is dangerous to pass on the left as she is a slow moving vehicle. You were also driving irratically. You were going slow with no clear intentions of what direction you are going... This causes accidents for cyclist and cars.

What if a car passes on the left... But you were twiddling your thumbs while looking for a parking spot and couldn't find one... Then you decide to suddenly accelerate forward (which technically requires you to signal your intention).
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:15 pm
And if there were cars squeezing by you? (Again, assuming you were pulled to the right to allow them space) Cyclists have it drilled into their head to stay to the right, which is where most motorists expect them to be when sharing a lane with them. Maybe her $50 POS didn't allow such deft maneuvering :)

You admit you didn't see her, it's your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings (especially when you are impeding the flow of traffic, cycle or auto)
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
1807 posts
21 upvotes
Cyclists are a snobby bunch that feel as if they're entitled to do whatever they want. They don't stop for streetcar doors, red lights, they weave in and out of traffic without looking likes its my job to make sure I don't hit them.

I show them no regard, because they don't deserve it. Anytime its been a near miss with one of them it was the cyclists fault. I won't feel bad if I hit one either in that situation.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:24 pm
And if there were cars squeezing by you? (Again, assuming you were pulled to the right to allow them space) Cyclists have it drilled into their head to stay to the right, which is where most motorists expect them to be when sharing a lane with them. Maybe her $50 POS didn't allow such deft maneuvering :)
I have never had a car simultaneously try to squeeze by left while I am also on my bike passing on the left...there is no drilling into my head of such rigid rules.

And yeah, she was quite clumsy on her bike and unable to steer straight.
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:24 pm
You admit you didn't see her, it's your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings (especially when you are impeding the flow of traffic, cycle or auto)
It's everyone's responsibility to try to be as aware as possible. It's also part of the human condition that we do not have eyes that see in 360 degrees at all times.