Automotive

Locked: Belligerent cyclists - Stories? Experiences? Was I wrong?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2012 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
I wonder if it is an RFD offense to observe that skidz and JohnB are sociopaths. It is not an insult, it is a description.
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:33 pm
It's everyone's responsibility to try to be as aware as possible. It's also part of the human condition that we do not have eyes that see in 360 degrees at all times.
Except you admit you weren't aware. I'm sure the cyclist was very aware of your Binky in front of her.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1489 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:20 pm
You aren't suppose to. You slow down if you find a spot and start to engage in parking. Doing what you did obstructs traffic for bost cars and cyclist.

When looking for a parking spot you're suppose to look far ahead. It is dangerous to pass on the left as she is a slow moving vehicle. You were also driving irratically. You were going slow with no clear intentions of what direction you are going... This causes accidents for cyclist and cars.

What if a car passes on the left... But you were twiddling your thumbs while looking for a parking spot and couldn't find one... Then you decide to suddenly accelerate forward (which technically requires you to signal your intention).
It is unrealistic to expect cars not to slow down while looking for a place to park. My mistake was pulling in closer to the parked cars and the unfortunate timing of her approach.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1489 upvotes
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:37 pm
Except you admit you weren't aware. I'm sure the cyclist was very aware of your Binky in front of her.
It is unrealistic to expect a human to be aware 360 degrees at all times.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
961 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:35 pm
I wonder if it is an RFD offense to observe that skidz and JohnB are sociopaths. It is not an insult, it is a description.
Yeah, asking cyclists to be aware of their surroundings, share the road with cars, and to take responsibility for their own safety makes me a sociopath.

Suuuure.
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:39 pm
It is unrealistic to expect a human to be aware 360 degrees at all times.
The fat nerd did not magically appear behind you.

And if you honestly can't see a parking spot coming up without slowing down you should have your eyes checked.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1489 upvotes
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:40 pm
The fat nerd did not magically appear behind you.

And if you honestly can't see a parking spot coming up without slowing down you should have your eyes checked.
I believe she came from a side road and wasn't behind me for very long.

And I wasn't looking for a parking spot between clusters of cars. I was looking for a spot situated between my two pedestrian sites. I just wasn't exactly sure where they would be, navigationally-speaking.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1798 posts
181 upvotes
learn2drive
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car; oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall; torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4367 posts
371 upvotes
in the end what it comes down to is that the onus is on cyclists to heed caution to their surroundings if they wish to live. car>bike - simple physics.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1054 posts
140 upvotes
Brampton
Yea some cyclists are crazy, weaving in and out of traffic. I was slowing down to a stop one time and boom, there goes a cyclist cut right in front of me while I was still moving.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11473 posts
4819 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 7:46 pm
Today I got into a yelling match with a cyclist. I have never done this before, with anyone.

I was driving slowly down Parliament in Cabbagetown, fairly close to the parked cars on the single-lane per direction road without thinking because I was looking for a parking spot in an unfamiliar place. This 30's-looking hipster geek chick on a bike actually told me as she was passing by that I should learn to not block cyclists or something. I seriously didn't see her and she must have come from a side road because before I got to the vicinity of my stop, I was driving normally and I usually check around, especially in areas where cyclists are common. Being a regular bike rider myself has made me generally paranoid and on the watch for them.

Anyway, I was pissed at her rudeness so I drove a little further past the coffee shop I was looking for and said "listen b**** don't preach at me on your s***** $50 bike" and parked in my spot.

She actually got off her bike and walked towards me so I knew this was going to be fun. Well she didn't get too close but I was going to stay for a while in case she tried to vandalize my Binky (my car's name). She told me that if I was going to drive I should share the road and drive well. I said "Well excuse me, even if I am a bad driver get over it, move on and just be thankful you're not hurt but starting s*** with me is rude. Then she said I'm the rude one because I should be apologizing. Then I said, "Excuse me, do you even drive? Can you even afford a car with your $50 bike?" Nope, she did not retort that she does drive. For the rest of the time I made wahwahwah noises and flapped my hand like you do when someone is saying things you don't care about and after a while she walked off.

I realize this whole exchange was crude and immature and does not reflect well upon me but I drive AND bike a lot and people need to be forgiving of honest mistakes. Obviously if I knew she was behind me I would have given her lots of space like I always do and like to have when I am on my bike but with her self-righteousness, it felt good to tell her off. Anyone who bikes or drives around will know that someone who is less skilled or aware than you (or distracted) will offend you at one point or another; it happens to everyone. When it happens to me I don't get confrontational.

I believe some cyclists have lots of undue aggression. Once when I was walking home from the supermarket with my groceries, I saw a cyclist slapping his hand on the top of a car's hood because (I think? didn't see the whole thing) the car moved up beside his wife's bike at an intersection which he felt was too dangerous. For all I know the driver may have been wrong. However, I don't believe that justifies him being an ahole.

Thoughts? You can tell me that I'm wrong and should learn to drive better. I just want more opinions, that's all.
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:09 pm
Sounds like you were completely in the wrong and should have apologized to her and moved on with your life. Instead you get your panties in a bunch and start throwing the lamest, childish insults ever? Even after the fact in your replies to this thread you can't get over the fact that she's riding (in your opinion) a less than amazing bike. Grow up. Who cares what kind of helmet she was wearing? "Hipster fatty"? :facepalm: Seriously. Grow the ***** up.

And this is coming from someone who can't stand the holier than thou, sense of entitlement cyclists that you seem to be incorrectly placing her among.
This, and you started out by calling her a ***** .

OP is 100% in the wrong
skidz88 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:27 pm
Cyclists are a snobby bunch that feel as if they're entitled to do whatever they want. They don't stop for streetcar doors, red lights, they weave in and out of traffic without looking likes its my job to make sure I don't hit them.

I show them no regard, because they don't deserve it. Anytime its been a near miss with one of them it was the cyclists fault. I won't feel bad if I hit one either in that situation.
completely ignorant comments.

I am a cyclist and a motorist. I don't do any of the crap you describe while on my bike or in my car
Mar 30, 2007
455 posts
21 upvotes
ms msp wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 11:40 pm
this, and you started out by calling her a ***** .

Op is 100% in the wrong

completely ignorant comments.

I am a cyclist and a motorist. I don't do any of the crap you describe while on my bike or in my car
that was you wasnt it...? Ms msp
Banned
Aug 8, 2012
1115 posts
83 upvotes
Dallas, Texas.
I believe that bicyclists need to have a license and a plate tied to it, as mentioned earlier in Toronto because they often bike recklessly. I am not defending this particular driver or incident. I drive in Toronto a lot, all over the city for several hours a day sometimes and always see people being pretty dumb while riding their bikes, not stopping for red lights or stop signs, going in the opposite direction of traffic to short cut to the other side, using the pedestrian parts of the roadway (cross walks,) swerving in and out during stop and go traffic, those are just to name a few. I think the people that say it is stupid for them to need a license are saying so because they do not want to be held accountable.

If you want to use the roadways you should also be accountable for your actions on it. I am starting to get tired of the bicyclists putting everything on the drivers.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5924 posts
1384 upvotes
???
Lol met iv met peanuts in person. Cool chick. Never knew she could snap like that. Certantly not through thr interactions weve had. Wouldve paid to see peanutz scrap another chick tho. She barely weighs 100lbs. Anyways get ready to get crucified by rfd auto white saints.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Based on your initial interaction, I understand anger and like the fact you admit you should not have brought up about the cost of her bike (I respect that). That was just really low. What was equally low is referring to her as a hippster, etc. However, in subsequent posts about this, you still continue to degrade/berate the cyclist based on her looks. I have lost a lot of respect for you as I thought you were better than that based on some of your previous posts on here.