Automotive

Locked: Belligerent cyclists - Stories? Experiences? Was I wrong?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2012 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 19, 2009
898 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
There are cyclists that hog the lane by not staying as far right as possible too when there's clearly enough room for a car and them. I've had many times near my workplace where I change lanes to pass them and switch back over to the right lane. However sometimes I get run into a red and have to stop but the cyclist will only then squeeze further to the right to pass cars otherwise they ride 1/3 into the lane from the curb to hog their lane. Often they run the red light too since they don't want to lose momentum at these 3 way stops that allow traffic from the side street to come out.
Feb 19, 2012
904 posts
598 upvotes
Woodbridge
skidz88 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:27 pm
Cyclists are a snobby bunch that feel as if they're entitled to do whatever they want. They don't stop for streetcar doors, red lights, they weave in and out of traffic without looking likes its my job to make sure I don't hit them.

I show them no regard, because they don't deserve it. Anytime its been a near miss with one of them it was the cyclists fault. I won't feel bad if I hit one either in that situation.

Honestly, you had better show them some respect because if you let your ego dictate your driving habits you're going to end up hitting a cyclist and you'll definitely feel bad when you end up in court. You may not give a damn about the cyclist but the legal trouble you're going to put yourself through just isn't worth it. Yes, most cyclists in toronto (not pedestrians on bikes) are arrogant, inconsiderate and utterly indifferent to the rules of the road but there are also a minority of cyclists that do what they are supposed to and they still feel the wrath of reckless drivers.
Banned
Jan 2, 2009
413 posts
74 upvotes
Anonymouse wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:35 pm
I wonder if it is an RFD offense to observe that skidz and JohnB are sociopaths. It is not an insult, it is a description.
Yup. Very scary to read posts like theirs. Be careful out there.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2845 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
I feel the same way about cyclists as most here.
They have a sense of entitlement, they break more rules than car drives do.

Does that make me a sociopath too?
Banned
Jan 2, 2009
413 posts
74 upvotes
hdave wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 9:21 am
Does that make me a sociopath too?
Depends. If you killed a cyclist through your inattention, would you feel this way, as one of the named users posted: " I won't feel bad if I hit one either in that situation." If so, yes, you are a sociopath. Unfortunately, there is no treatment for it, so please just turn in your driver's license.
Banned
Jan 2, 2009
413 posts
74 upvotes
In 91 out of 129 fatalities the Ontario coroner recently reviewed, the car driver was at least partially, or solely, at fault. Please pay attention when you drive. Don't feel like you can't go over the yellow line to make room when you are passing a cyclist. Aim to give him/her at least a metre, and don't be afraid to wait to pass if you can't do that.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 7:46 pm
.... She told me that if I was going to drive I should share the road and drive well. I said "Well excuse me, even if I am a bad driver get over it, move on and just be thankful you're not hurt but starting s*** with me is rude. Then she said I'm the rude one because I should be apologizing. Then I said, "Excuse me, do you even drive? Can you even afford a car with your $50 bike?" Nope, she did not retort that she does drive. For the rest of the time I made wahwahwah noises and flapped my hand like you do when someone is saying things you don't care about and after a while she walked off.
I think she won the moment she kept her composure and was civil with you from the very beginning.

She may not have the moral authority to preach you, but she was at least civil.

You lost the cause when you tried to demean her with the $50 remark.

My 2 cents.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
vaportech wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 3:11 am
Lol met iv met peanuts in person. Cool chick. Never knew she could snap like that. Certantly not through thr interactions weve had. Wouldve paid to see peanutz scrap another chick tho. She barely weighs 100lbs. Anyways get ready to get crucified by rfd auto white saints.
I actually have never snapped like that, but I was truly caught off-guard by this random stranger making the snide comment at me. That is also something I am very unused to; I can't remember if I ever experienced something like this before.
D-Roc wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 4:40 am
Based on your initial interaction, I understand anger and like the fact you admit you should not have brought up about the cost of her bike (I respect that).
Thank you.
D-Roc wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 4:40 am
That was just really low. What was equally low is referring to her as a hippster, etc. However, in subsequent posts about this, you still continue to degrade/berate the cyclist based on her looks. I have lost a lot of respect for you as I thought you were better than that based on some of your previous posts on here.
Well, it is what it is. Sorry to say that your respect does not matter much to me. I am not going to get talked down to by a "pedestrian on a bike" (as a poster above would call her) who is ugly on both the inside and the outside. Ya'll could say the same about me, but I like to think I'm more patient with simple human errors that do not post a threat to anyone, and I don't go out of my way to initiate and make someone feel bad. Even a simple little ring of a bike bell would have alerted me enough to make room for her, but instead of understanding, accommodating and cooperating, she decided to put me down. To me it is the equivalent of verbal assault. And you guys may not know from the words she started with, but her tone was definitely condescending.

Fair's fair in my books. Not everyone has to agree with me, I can't say I'd do things differently even if now I weirdly hope she doesn't feel too badly about the things I said.

I see drivers honk and exchange verbal fights when they don't like each others' driving, and that's equally stupid in my books.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
longitude wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:19 am
I think she won the moment she kept her composure and was civil with you from the very beginning.

She may not have the moral authority to preach you, but she was at least civil.

You lost the cause when you tried to demean her with the $50 remark.

My 2 cents.
She was not civil. She called me a ***** , too, several times during the exchange. And instead of letting it go, she had to reverse her path and walk back towards me while I bought my parking ticket. That's especially sad.

She also did not look like she bikes a lot. Someone who does not bike often (nor probably drives) should not be telling others how to do things.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
brian.gerson wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:00 am
In 91 out of 129 fatalities the Ontario coroner recently reviewed, the car driver was at least partially, or solely, at fault. Please pay attention when you drive. Don't feel like you can't go over the yellow line to make room when you are passing a cyclist. Aim to give him/her at least a metre, and don't be afraid to wait to pass if you can't do that.
This statistic is meaningless. If in 91/91 of those cases, the car driver is partially at fault, it means that the cyclist is also partially at fault. Of COURSE people should pay attention while they drive, most people don't want to kill someone else. But likewise, if the cyclists are also partially at fault, they need to pay attention, too, and it's in their interests to pay even more attention than drivers as it's their life that is being gambled.

In addition, I suppose this means that in 38/129 of those cases the cyclist was a moron.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9423 posts
450 upvotes
You weren't paying attention as you admitted. You should have just apologized. That would have probably diffused the situation.

It's like when this cabby tried to switch to my lane. I swerved a bit and luckily he looked before crashing into me. At the red light the exchange went something like this...
Me: Next time you should signal and look before switching lanes
Cabby: What happened to you?
Me: You almost hit me!
Cabby: Right nothing happened to you.
Me: You're an @$$hole

If he had just apologized that he was in the wrong I wouldn't have said that last part.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
rems wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:44 am
You weren't paying attention as you admitted. You should have just apologized. That would have probably diffused the situation.

It's like when this cabby tried to switch to my lane. I swerved a bit and luckily he looked before crashing into me. At the red light the exchange went something like this...
Me: Next time you should signal and look before switching lanes
Cabby: What happened to you?
Me: You almost hit me!
Cabby: Right nothing happened to you.
Me: You're an @$$hole

If he had just apologized that he was in the wrong I wouldn't have said that last part.
One could also avoid the situation if people like you and her would let things go and go on your way. However, in this case, he is actually driving improperly, so I'd say you have more of a case than hipster. Also, hipster's attitude was that I simply don't leave room for cyclists, period, when that is far from the case. It was a moment of inattention, specifically, to leaving room for cyclists to pass. And a few moments ago I know that that area was clear so it's not like I was completely in my own world all day or habitually.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1213 posts
91 upvotes
Kitchener
morpheus_1987 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 7:10 am
There are cyclists that hog the lane by not staying as far right as possible too when there's clearly enough room for a car and them. I've had many times near my workplace where I change lanes to pass them and switch back over to the right lane. However sometimes I get run into a red and have to stop but the cyclist will only then squeeze further to the right to pass cars otherwise they ride 1/3 into the lane from the curb to hog their lane. Often they run the red light too since they don't want to lose momentum at these 3 way stops that allow traffic from the side street to come out.
Like it or not, a cyclist is entitled to take the entire lane if they choose to or it makes them feel safer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
tjayl wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:03 pm
Like it or not, a cyclist is entitled to take the entire lane if they choose to or it makes them feel safer.
Likewise, so should a driver be able to. But nope, they're going to get a snotty comment because cyclist is forced to go at 3kmph instead of 5kmph and so the driver should apologize.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:26 am
I actually have never snapped like that, but I was truly caught off-guard by this random stranger making the snide comment at me. That is also something I am very unused to; I can't remember if I ever experienced something like this before.

Thank you.

Well, it is what it is. Sorry to say that your respect does not matter much to me. I am not going to get talked down to by a "pedestrian on a bike" (as a poster above would call her) who is ugly on both the inside and the outside. Ya'll could say the same about me, but I like to think I'm more patient with simple human errors that do not post a threat to anyone, and I don't go out of my way to initiate and make someone feel bad. Even a simple little ring of a bike bell would have alerted me enough to make room for her, but instead of understanding, accommodating and cooperating, she decided to put me down. To me it is the equivalent of verbal assault. And you guys may not know from the words she started with, but her tone was definitely condescending.

Fair's fair in my books. Not everyone has to agree with me, I can't say I'd do things differently even if now I weirdly hope she doesn't feel too badly about the things I said.

I see drivers honk and exchange verbal fights when they don't like each others' driving, and that's equally stupid in my books.
How are her looks even a factor in how you should respond? That is really petty and shallow.
Who cares if she "talked down to you"? Should have just let her go on her way as confronting her changed nothing.

You claim to be patient, but yet you let a little thing like this set you off.