Automotive

Locked: Belligerent cyclists - Stories? Experiences? Was I wrong?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2012 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
May 27, 2010
176 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Wait if the cyclist was behind you, did you at least turn on your turn signals to let her know you were going in? (one of my biggest pet peeves is when a driver doesn't signal!)

If the cyclist was in your blind spot the whole time, then it's a different situation.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
Scott Hall wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:11 pm
Wait if the cyclist was behind you, did you at least turn on your turn signals to let her know you were going in? (one of my biggest pet peeves is when a driver doesn't signal!)

If the cyclist was in your blind spot the whole time, then it's a different situation.
I wasn't going "in" anywhere. I was going in one direction, albeit slowly, in order to park in a proper spot between two locations I needed to stop by. She made her comment while I was still going in that one direction and she found room to squeeze by my passenger-side door.

MS MSP - way to delete your post because you apparently can't read and are accusing me of something I'm not doing. No, I didn't change my story, and I didn't say that she started with calling me a b----. But she said it to me as she was passing my parking spot (before her reversal) and I gave her the finger in response.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
D-Roc wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:10 pm
How are her looks even a factor in how you should respond? That is really petty and shallow.
Who cares if she "talked down to you"? Should have just let her go on her way as confronting her changed nothing.

You claim to be patient, but yet you let a little thing like this set you off.
Read more carefully. I said that I am patient with simple human errors and am generally a laid-back person who avoids confrontation. But intention to be aholes and attacking people unnecessarily is a whole other story - I do have a temper when I am provoked.

As to why looks factor in, I guess I am shallow and petty. If she didn't look like a troll I guess I might dislike her less. If she looked like a more experienced cyclist I would have respected her more. She looked and acted like this is the first time she is ever riding a bike in the city. And as I said, she couldn't even steer straight, she was slow and wobbling all over the place.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11822 posts
5355 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:21 pm
IMS MSP - way to delete your post because you apparently can't read and are accusing me of something I'm not doing. No, I didn't change my story, and I didn't say that she started with calling me a b----. But she said it to me as she was passing my parking spot (before her reversal) and I gave her the finger in response.
I decided I had enough of this thread, so yeah I deleted my post.

Your original post makes no mention that she called you a name....now you conveniently claim she called you a "b____" first.

Secondly, I didn't realize you were a female as well. The "b___" comment has less impact IMO female to female.

Regardless, with your "talk to the hand" and referring to your car as "my Binky", you sound like you have the maturity level of a 12 year old.

Whatever, I'm done with this thread.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9423 posts
450 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:51 am
One could also avoid the situation if people like you and her would let things go and go on your way. However, in this case, he is actually driving improperly, so I'd say you have more of a case than hipster. Also, hipster's attitude was that I simply don't leave room for cyclists, period, when that is far from the case. It was a moment of inattention, specifically, to leaving room for cyclists to pass. And a few moments ago I know that that area was clear so it's not like I was completely in my own world all day or habitually.
Let things go? I'm telling him how he should drive safely so that next time it won't happen again. What if I also wasn't paying attention and didn't swerve. We would have gotten into a collision. Just like how the cyclist was telling you how to share the road. So next time, you won't be blocking them and will avoid a similar situation.
Yes it was a moment of inattention. Yes you can't be aware all the time. So when you should have seen something that you didn't, apologize. How hard is that? People make mistakes. Own up to it is all I'm saying and things probably wouldn't have gotten so heated...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
rems wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:39 pm
People make mistakes. Own up to it is all I'm saying and things probably wouldn't have gotten so heated...
Yes, people do make mistakes. She should have gotten over it as I wasn't intentionally trying to block her. She ignited it, and I like when things get heated.

She should have gotten closer to me. :)
MS MSP wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:37 pm
I decided I had enough of this thread, so yeah I deleted my post.
And yet you've come back. Bravo.
MS MSP wrote:
Your orignal post makes no mention that she called you a name....now you conveniently claim she called you a "b____" first.
I never claimed anywhere that she called me a b---- first. Learn to read. I freely claim that I used the word first. But she used it at me, as well. And just like you, she couldn't get enough. Instead of parting ways when she passed me and while I'm getting my parking ticket, she has to come back and continue the exchange.
MS MSP wrote:
Secondly, i didn't realize you were a female as well.
Yeah, I'm not surprised that little details like that go over your head. Assumptions are rampant.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9423 posts
450 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:40 pm
Yes, people do make mistakes. She should have gotten over it as I wasn't intentionally trying to block her. She ignited it, and I like when things get heated.

She should have gotten closer to me. :)
Again YOU are the one to make the mistake. It's up to YOU to "get over it".

Basically you got mad for someone getting mad at you for making a mistake...
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11822 posts
5355 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:40 pm
And yet you've come back. Bravo.

I [bYeah, I'm not surprised that little details like that go over your head. Assumptions are rampant.
You called me out, so I responded.

Frankly it sounds like you're the one with anger issues, not the cyclist in your "scenario".

Had you simply said "sorry, I didn't see you".....the situation wouldn't have escalated.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
rems wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:44 pm
Again YOU are the one to make the mistake. It's up to YOU to "get over it".

Basically you got mad for someone getting mad at you for making a mistake...
She shouldn't get mad in the first place, so the onus is on her to get over it first. I'm getting mad at her for being a b---- about it.

And my mistake isn't technical. It's a matter of courtesy which I prefer to do, but as cyclists can take up the entire lane if they want/need to, I'm wondering why cars have to get bitched at by cyclists..
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9423 posts
450 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:53 pm
She shouldn't get mad in the first place, so the onus is on her to get over it first. I'm getting mad at her for being a b---- about it.

And my mistake isn't technical. It's a matter of courtesy which I prefer to do, but as cyclists can take up the entire lane if they want/need to, I'm wondering why cars have to get bitched at by cyclists..
What do you mean? You admitted you were inattentive and was blocking the cyclist's path. You now admit that your mistake was a courtesy one. So you were being rude to the cyclist by blocking her path. If someone is rude to you, do you not have a right to be angry?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
MS MSP wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:49 pm
You called me out, so I responded.

Frankly it sounds like you're the one with anger issues, not the cyclist in your "scenario".

Had you simply said "sorry, I didn't see you".....the situation wouldn't have escalated.
Escalation isn't the issue. I'm all for it.

I'm talking about initiation. I'm a cool cat when no one starts anything with me.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11822 posts
5355 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 8:19 pm
And yes, it's true that you've gotta be careful who you snap at. I'm crazy. :)
Quoted for truth.
rems wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:55 pm
What do you mean? You admitted you were inattentive and was blocking the cyclist's path. You now admit that your mistake was a courtesy one. So you were being rude to the cyclist by blocking her path. If someone is rude to you, do you not have a right to be angry?
bingo
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
rems wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:55 pm
Rudeness implies deliberation. I was not blocking her path deliberately, and I do check for cyclists, I just hadn't at the moment she appeared.

Do you think I've never had a less-experienced or less-skilled driver do something that annoyed me? And how many times do you think I made a snarky comment or gesture towards them? (0...)
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9423 posts
450 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:58 pm
Rudeness implies deliberation. I was not blocking her path deliberately, and I do check for cyclists, I just hadn't at the moment she appeared.

Do you think I've never had a less-experienced or less-skilled driver do something that annoyed me? And how many times do you think I made a snarky comment or gesture towards them? (0...)
Ignorance isn't an excuse. Whether you intended to block her or not, you still shouldn't have been blocking her.
When I accidentally step on someone's foot, I apoligize even though I wasn't deliberately stepping on their foot. I made a mistake, so I apoligize. If I didn't know I stepped on their foot and that person told me I should watch where I'm stepping, I would say sorry. I wouldn't get mad at them for pointing out my mistake.

If you apologized and she still went batsh*t crazy then yes feel free to complain. But you blocked her. She told you you shouldn't be blocking cyclists. Then you went crazy...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1491 upvotes
rems wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 1:03 pm
Ignorance isn't an excuse. Whether you intended to block her or not, you still shouldn't have been blocking her.
When I accidentally step on someone's foot, I apoligize even though I wasn't deliberately stepping on their foot. I made a mistake, so I apoligize. If I didn't know I stepped on their foot and that person told me I should watch where I'm stepping, I would say sorry. I wouldn't get mad at them for pointing out my mistake.

If you apologized and she still went batsh*t crazy then yes feel free to complain. But you blocked her. She told you you shouldn't be blocking cyclists. Then you went crazy...
We should just agree to disagree and you can reply to this post but. Firstly, with your foot-stepping example, you are confusing active violation of someone's space and person vs. opening a path on a road. Second, once a foot has been stepped on, the only remedy is to apologize, whereas if a path is blocked, there are alternatives to making rude comments at the blocker. Such as "can you please make space?", ringing a bike bell, or if you are "daring" like I supposedly am when I'm on a bike, passing on the left.

You say when someone is rude to someone, they have a right to be mad back. Well in my opinion, I wasn't being rude. Temporarily inattentive, yes. Inconveniencing, yes. But she was the rude one to begin with, and I got mad at her where no grudge or anger @ cyclists as a group exists.

Lastly, the equivalent comment is not "watch where you step" - it's "you should learn to not step on people's feet". Instead of making it a one-time issue, the implication in the second comment is that the person simply does not know and/or habitually does it.