Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Ben & Jerry vs Haagan Daaz?

Just an FYI, Walmart has B&J's for $3.97 this week. I never tried it before because it seems so expensive so I always indulge on a sure thing and buy HD. I'm eating the Chunky Monkey which is Banana ice cream with walnut and chunks of chocolate. Honestly, it isn't that great. I prefer the taste of HD over this.
35 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I don't eat ice cream enough to justify an ice cream maker that expensive.

WOw, that Chunky monkey wasn't that good. I rather have the coffee or strawberry HD ones. Those are my new favourites.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like we're only comparing the 500ml containers, not the ice cream on a stick.
I prefer the HD or Magnum bars on a stick.
(Magnum replaced B&J on a stick here in Canada)

You know what's not bad? The "Premium" Chapman bars on a stick.

Back to the 500ml size. (or 444 ml, where applicable) I love cherry, and can't find an HD cherry anything, so B&J wins!! (for me!)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
playnicee1 wrote: Sounds like we're only comparing the 500ml containers, not the ice cream on a stick.
I prefer the HD or Magnum bars on a stick.
(Magnum replaced B&J on a stick here in Canada)

You know what's not bad? The "Premium" Chapman bars on a stick.

Back to the 500ml size. (or 444 ml, where applicable) I love cherry, and can't find an HD cherry anything, so B&J wins!! (for me!)
I almost never buy ice cream on a stick. To be honest, a 500ml is a personal size portion lol.

I sometimes eat half a tub and store it away though. Actually, I have a weakness for the Fudgiscles. It's about the only ice cream on a stick variety I buy but even that is pretty rare. Just grew up eating that stuff from the 'corner store' so it's once in a blue moon treat to nostalgia city for me.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
trucanuck wrote: Ice cream on a stick is garbage... magnum etc are all trash... not even sure if its real ice cream.

HD is much better quality than B&J.... the less ingredients the better (ice cream must be made with real cream, not skim milk + additives):
http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/07/haag ... errys.html
It's real ice cream, but the twist is that they get creative in using less and less of it by introducing newer product. (ie "Now with more caramel" or "now more almond")
They're extra careful to use ingredients that are cheaper than real ice cream, but still a good product or great quality.
(ie still using almonds, not peanuts to weigh the product down)

Another thing to note is that 5 or so years ago HD on a stick used to be 108 ml. It's been 88ml for a while now while the "other guys" are all still maintaining 110ml.

It does surprise me that no store brand (as far as I know) has made any effort to try using plain old peanuts instead of almonds to simulate the HD (on a stick) quality...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote: BJ Cherry Garcia
I agree with you 100%, but I'm still upset they discontinued the one on a stick!
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
uber_shnitz wrote: Neither. Kem CoBa ftw.
Isn't that a korean frozen yogurt place that's only in MTL?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
DougO wrote: Best is make your own. I just wish I could afford this:
I mean... it's not even in the same league, but if I'm going to spend a grand on an ice cream machine, I'd rather spend $8k on a used Carpigiani.
Supercooled wrote: Just an FYI, Walmart has B&J's for $3.97 this week. I never tried it before because it seems so expensive so I always indulge on a sure thing and buy HD. I'm eating the Chunky Monkey which is Banana ice cream with walnut and chunks of chocolate. Honestly, it isn't that great. I prefer the taste of HD over this.
Wow damn... that's $8/L which is acceptable at least in Canada.
I can't produce ice cream for less than $5/L.

Screw you dairy cartel.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
HD/ PC Black label>>>>>>>chemical filled garbage
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote: HD/ PC Black label>>>>>>>chemical filled garbage
The shorter the ingredient list, the better.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I mean... it's not even in the same league, but if I'm going to spend a grand on an ice cream machine, I'd rather spend $8k on a used Carpigiani.

Wow damn... that's $8/L which is acceptable at least in Canada.
I can't produce ice cream for less than $5/L.

Screw you dairy cartel.
Looked up that name (I had never heard of it before). Ooh! I want one if their soft ice cream makers...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3726 posts
432 upvotes
Haagen Dasz Gelato is the BEST.

Limoncello, Strachiatella, Sea Salt Caramel, Black Cherry Amaretto. All great flavours without a million ingredients.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Quality-wise 0 can touch HD: they have extremely strict guidelines on how their product is shipped so that it won't be spoiled in any way. BJ does have better flavor selection though.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
Just a reminder HD is with Nestle. If you can't find the brown HD freezer, look for the blue Nestle freezer and see if there's any HD there.