• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2005 2:25 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which one better deal?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2004
175 posts
1 upvote

Benq 16x DVD+-R?

Are the Benq 16x DVD+R and DVD-R any good? 100 spindle for $32.99. Or is the fujifilm 100 spindle for $24.99 better? Or the maxell 100 spindle $24.99 at FS that are MIT? Or the maxell 100 spindle $27.77 at WalMart that are MIJ? I have used the Benq 8x DVD+R and they were good.
19 replies
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Gamez_girl wrote:Are the Benq 16x DVD+R and DVD-R any good? 100 spindle for $32.99. Or is the fujifilm 100 spindle for $24.99 better? Or the maxell 100 spindle $24.99 at FS that are MIT? Or the maxell 100 spindle $27.77 at WalMart that are MIJ? I have used the Benq 8x DVD+R and they were good.
So have I. From last year's Boxing Day, right? But apparently, they are very very low grade media. Therefore, we can't trust that media codes = quality at 100%...

BTW, the 8x +R's last year were Made in Taiwan, DAXONs.. I checked out the new 16x BenQ's a few weeks ago and they are all MIM.. Malaysia. Anyone about to confirm if they are still made by DAXON, or by another manufacturer?
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11236 posts
4390 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
I've burned lots of the 4x and 8x BenQs, and never had problems with them. I would expect their 16x to be as good.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
I wouldn't say Daxon are very very low grade, but I would say they're not made very well. They should burn well initially, but they will likely degrade quickly.

I assume the Malaysian BenQs are indeed Daxon since they have a optical disc plant in Malaysia.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
'[buck wrote:']I wouldn't say Daxon are very very low grade, but I would say they're not made very well. They should burn well initially, but they will likely degrade quickly.

I assume the Malaysian BenQs are indeed Daxon since they have a optical disc plant in Malaysia.
Thanks for clarifying. Well, a lot of websites state that they are very very low grade, and usually at the end or near the end of their "list". buck, do you happen to have any info about Taiwan vs. Malaysian DAXON?
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote:Thanks for clarifying. Well, a lot of websites state that they are very very low grade, and usually at the end or near the end of their "list". buck, do you happen to have any info about Taiwan vs. Malaysian DAXON?
Sorry, none. :) I haven't heard anything at all about the Malaysian Daxon, actually.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
'[buck wrote:']Sorry, none. :) I haven't heard anything at all about the Malaysian Daxon, actually.
I actually bought a 50-pack of Malaysian BenQ before, but they were 4x. Don't really have anything to complain though.

BTW, there ARE Maxell MIJs in Futureshop and Best Buy as well, not just at Wal-Mart. It seems like Maxell in general have been shipping out MIJs to all retailers for this shipment. Any news about Maxell moving back to Japan?

And, you should include 50-Pack Philips as a good deal, because they are certainly better deal than the Fujifilm PRODISC. Can't say anything about the BenQ, but the Philips are probably better than the BenQ DAXONs as well. You're probably on your own if Maxell RITEKs are better than the Philips, though.
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8728 posts
1263 upvotes
Victoria
the poll isn't entirely accurate, as I bought a MIJ 100 pack spindle of maxell +r's at future shop. It seems future shop has both MIT's and MIJ's around the country, so if you manage to find some MIJ spindles, its cheaper then walmart, and 24.99 for 100 decent discs, isn't half bad at all.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
zod wrote:the poll isn't entirely accurate, as I bought a MIJ 100 pack spindle of maxell +r's at future shop. It seems future shop has both MIT's and MIJ's around the country, so if you manage to find some MIJ spindles, its cheaper then walmart, and 24.99 for 100 decent discs, isn't half bad at all.
Again, it seems like the Canada/US(?) distributors have all received MIJ shipment from Maxell, since everywhere in the whole country seems to be stocking on MIJs now.
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Jan 17, 2003
795 posts
1 upvote
Just curious, are those 10 pak($1.99) and 25 disc spindle($5.99) -/+R are MiT or MiJ? Totally forgot checking the store for those while I was there and grabbed the 100 disc spindle +R eagerly 'cause they are MiJ..^^; Along with the Kingston 1GB flash drive which is again in stock online I belive.(no mention of MiR or discount at store at all...at least when I found mine.)
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
IVNP wrote:Just curious, are those 10 pak($1.99) and 25 disc spindle($5.99) -/+R are MiT or MiJ? Totally forgot checking the store for those while I was there and grabbed the 100 disc spindle +R eagerly 'cause they are MiJ..^^; Along with the Kingston 1GB flash drive which is again in stock online I belive.(no mention of MiR or discount at store at all...at least when I found mine.)
I didn't pick up any 25 disk spindles, but did pick up the 10-packs. 5 +rs and 3-Rs. they were all MIT though, but all were stickered over. I don't want to open them to see if they are actually MITs, though.
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Jan 17, 2003
795 posts
1 upvote
You mean the MiJ sticker on the original MiT packaging or the other way around? The 100 disc +R spindles I picked up at BB today has the MiJ sticker on the MiT packaging I guess... I would think they are indeed MiJ but haven't actually opened them to check the disc yet.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
IVNP wrote:You mean the MiJ sticker on the original MiT packaging or the other way around? The 100 disc +R spindles I picked up at BB today has the MiJ sticker on the MiT packaging I guess... I would think they are indeed MiJ but haven't actually opened them to check the disc yet.
No, my 10-packs were originally MIJ (old packaging, you can tell), but MIT stickered over it.
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Apr 6, 2004
175 posts
1 upvote
Is it possible to edit the poll?
I didn't put the Phillips DVD+-R in there because I can't seem to find them at all. And I have had no luck finding Maxell DVD+-R at FS except online.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Gamez_girl wrote:Is it possible to edit the poll?
I didn't put the Phillips DVD+-R in there because I can't seem to find them at all. And I have had no luck finding Maxell DVD+-R at FS except online.
I'm quite sure they'll restock the Philips, but every restock the quantity is probably OOS within a few minutes. And it's only fair to add it to the poll, lol.
Heatware | RFD Feedback