• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 1:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1419 posts
322 upvotes

Best 4K TV for under $1,400?

Sorry... I know these threads are kind of repetitive, but I couldn't find anything recent. Any pages I've googled are either outdated, or are from the US so not really useful.

Planning to pick up an Xbox One X next week... and feel like it's finally time to upgrade to 4K. Having a quick scan of Best Buy, and I was pretty surprised to see how relatively "affordable" they are.

I'm looking at 50-55', and would spend $800-1,100 or so (on the latter side if it was really worth it). The Samsung MU6500/MU7500 seemed to be good enough bets on paper. Sound quality isn't a concern as I know they're generally poor and I just picked up a decent sound bar.

TV would primarily be used for gaming... considering cable/streaming options are pretty limited otherwise. Any tips/advice would be helpful.

EDIT: upping the price
Last edited by signore on Oct 28th, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2186 posts
239 upvotes
Ajax
signore wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 7:05 pm
Sorry... I know these threads are kind of repetitive, but I couldn't find anything recent. Any pages I've googled are either outdated, or are from the US so not really useful.

Planning to pick up an Xbox One X next week... and feel like it's finally time to upgrade to 4K. Having a quick scan of Best Buy, and I was pretty surprised to see how relatively "affordable" they are.

I'm looking at 50-55', and would spend $800-1,100 or so (on the latter side if it was really worth it). The Samsung MU6500/MU7500 seemed to be good enough bets on paper. Sound quality isn't a concern as I know they're generally poor and I just picked up a decent sound bar.

TV would primarily be used for gaming... considering cable/streaming options are pretty limited otherwise. Any tips/advice would be helpful.
Keep in mind, as with everything, you get what you pay for. Those sets are entry level. Arguably will not give you the WOW factor you are looking for. Save a bit more or wait for Black Friday and see if you can get something a tad larger and better. You will then be happy.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3712 posts
323 upvotes
When people speak of video games and quality of your screen low lag input I personally have never really bothered. Some times I play COD or the likes at work or at friends place I have the fancy LG 4K time right now and my kills don't change from running on a 24" tv that runs 720 or a 4K tv.

The biggest difference is the look and feel. I did not see any difference in play. Lag is my number 1 issue other then that the tv lag or quaility has never effected my game play in a manner I can quantify.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4791 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
Bratcoin wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:58 am
check out Vizio M55-E0
Second this, outside of the tcl p series which is only available in the USA (which may be an option for you) it's the best budget 4k Tv you will get, has all the bells and whistles of the high end tv's (FALD, HDR, lowish input lag). Only issue is it only has 1 4k rated hdmi port. Also the local dimming is limited to 32 dimming zones which you can occasionally notice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1419 posts
322 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 11:15 am
Second this, outside of the tcl p series which is only available in the USA (which may be an option for you) it's the best budget 4k Tv you will get, has all the bells and whistles of the high end tv's (FALD, HDR, lowish input lag). Only issue is it only has 1 4k rated hdmi port. Also the local dimming is limited to 32 dimming zones which you can occasionally notice.
I always hear good things about Vizio on these forums. Why are they better than Samsung/Sony/LG sets? I've been specifically looking at the UN55MU7000 55' from Samsung. What am I missing?

And only 1 port that outputs 4K?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5970 posts
1272 upvotes
I went with this TV as my first 4K TV:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

It is in the 2500+ range before tax but It covers HDR gaming with very low input lag for a 4K TV,
and its also has the highest rating for 4k Movies, Sports, and the lowest amount of motion blur out of all the TVs that website has reviewed this year.

It is currently $350 off at best buy and it comes with a free wall mount. Better than nothing I suppose.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... 20657.aspx?

It will replace my living room 1080p TV which is almost 9 years old now.

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4791 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
signore wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:58 pm
I always hear good things about Vizio on these forums. Why are they better than Samsung/Sony/LG sets? I've been specifically looking at the UN55MU7000 55' from Samsung. What am I missing?

Most of the Samsung/Sony/LG sets in this price range only offer edge lit LED TV's which cause noticable bleeding and doesn't have the same deep blacks as you'll get from a FALD TV (which means Full array local dimming, basically lights on the back of the TV that turn on and off), .
Vizio has made a name for itself offering features and picture quality that punch well above its weight and this is no exception.

It only does have HDMI 2.0 (which is the 4K/HDR port, the rest are just 1080P) input though so if you have multiple 4K devices (like an XBox one X and PS4 Pro) you'll need to figure out a solution such as a switch or in my case a HDMI 2.0 compliant receiver with HDMI switching.
XFactor11 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:46 pm

It is in the 2500+ range before tax but It covers HDR gaming with very low input lag for a 4K TV,
and its also has the highest rating for 4k Movies, Sports, and the lowest amount of motion blur out of all the TVs that website has reviewed this year.

It is currently $350 off at best buy and it comes with a free wall mount. Better than nothing I suppose.

Yeah this is the best TV you can buy right now no question but well out of OP's budget and with HDMI which is why I didnt recommend it.

In Canada I'd say:
Best Budget TV: Vizio M series
Best Mid Range TV: X900E
Best High end TV: LG B7/C7
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4791 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
signore wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:58 pm

Most of the Samsung/Sony/LG sets in this price range only offer edge lit LED TV's which cause noticable bleeding and doesn't have the same deep blacks as you'll get from a FALD TV (which means Full array local dimming, basically lights on the back of the TV that turn on and off), .
Vizio has made a name for itself offering features and picture quality that punch well above its weight and this is no exception.

It only does have HDMI 2.0 (which is the 4K/HDR port, the rest are just 1080P) input though so if you have multiple 4K devices (like an XBox one X and PS4 Pro) you'll need to figure out a solution such as a switch or in my case a HDMI 2.0 compliant receiver with HDMI switching.
XFactor11 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:46 pm

Yeah this is the best TV you can buy right now no question but well out of OP's budget which is why I didnt recommend it.

In Canada I'd say:
Jun 27, 2017
86 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 6:06 pm
Isn't it HDMI 2-4 are v1.4 and support HDR 4K but @ 24 Hz?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4791 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
Bratcoin wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 6:52 pm
Isn't it HDMI 2-4 are v1.4 and support HDR 4K but @ 24 Hz?
Yeah but what would that even be? A blu ray player maybe?

If you have a ps4 hdr works with those other ports (though not xbox one s)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5265 posts
1704 upvotes
Toronto
Bratcoin wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:58 am
check out Vizio M55-E0
This line is crazy value. I've been watching the 65 inch version for a while now which is $1500 at the moment and I'm going to bite as soon as it comes down $1100-1200 all in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1419 posts
322 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 6:06 pm

Yeah this is the best TV you can buy right now no question but well out of OP's budget which is why I didnt recommend it.

In Canada I'd say:
Thank you, appreciate all the insight! Is that fairly standard that these TVs only have one 4K output? It's not necessarily the end of the world - realistically I'd be using Xbox One X 90% of the time... but still a bit annoying especially if the ports are difficult to access.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5970 posts
1272 upvotes
Depending on the price range, most TV models have more than one 4K HDMI port.

Check the inputs section within the tv reviews at:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/b ... tra-hd-uhd

Specifically: HDMI 2.0 Full Bandwidth (and then check how many of the HDMI ports out of that specific TV model support HDMI 2.0 Full bandwidth).
The TV I linked to has all 4 HDMI ports supporting 4K, some of the other top recommended models they posted have 3 out of 4 HDMI ports, or 2 of 4 supporting 4K HDR.

signore wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:06 pm
Is that fairly standard that these TVs only have one 4K output? It's not necessarily the end of the world - realistically I'd be using Xbox One X 90% of the time... but still a bit annoying especially if the ports are difficult to access.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)