None
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
3222 posts
1908 upvotes
Surrey

Best All Season Tires?

Hi,

I am looking for all season tires for Subaru Tribeca 2009.
P255 55R18

Not sure which ones to get.
Any recommendations?

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
Michelin Defenders all-season tires.

Michelin Defenders ( 145,000 km warranty ) - they were rated #1 of all ( 20 ) T-speed-rated all-season tires that Consumer Reports tested in 2012.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
3222 posts
1908 upvotes
Surrey
poedua wrote: Michelin Defenders all-season tires.

Michelin Defenders ( 145,000 km warranty ) - they were rated #1 of all ( 20 ) T-speed-rated all-season tires that Consumer Reports tested in 2012.
Thanks for replying. Do you happen to know which month these were published in?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
Seems like the Conti ProContact is equally as good and $30 cheaper.
I would value wet weather performance higher since you'll reach the tire's limit much easier than if you were in the dry.

For those that want performance data:
http://tinyurl.com/chago2s
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
paaji wrote: I managed to find it.
Well done ...good post ....VERY informative !
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
And yet it all depends so much on the variables like the car the tire is mounted on, the tire size, and the driving conditions. In the CR test, which apparently used a Chevy Cruze front-wheel drive econo-sedan if the picture is anything to go by, the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum is rated Poor in snow. I have a set on a BMW 5-series rear-wheel drive sedan, which happens to be the particular car that tire model was designed for, and for me the traction is snow is good, way better than the original Continental all-season tires. That certainly matches comments from other drivers of similar cars on Tire Rack, who also rated that tire as good in snow traction. Why would that be? Could be the tire size, the different weight and power distribution of a rear-wheel-drive car, or just the local snow conditions (we get heavy, wet snow here, and it doesn't get real cold). I previously had a high-performance front-wheel-drive car that originally came with Pirelli summer tires. Against all expectation they were fantastic in the snow, in Edmonton. I subsequently tried a couple of other brands of all-season tires on the car that were rated good by CR, Dunlop and Bridgestone, and neither was as good in the snow as the original Pirelli summer tires. Go figure.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
Falkens ...
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
poedua wrote: Michelin Defenders ( 145,000 km warranty ) - they were rated #1 of all ( 20 ) T-speed-rated all-season tires that Consumer Reports tested in 2012.
I'm fairly sure the OP's Tribeca should have an H speed-rated tire.
JamesA1 wrote: And yet it all depends so much on the variables like the car the tire is mounted on, the tire size, and the driving conditions.
Definitely agree - how else would CR explain something like the Yokohama Avid Envigor H speed-rated model falling from the top 2 years ago to near the foot in company with a Firestone and a Champiro of all things?

Best to find out the experience of other Tribeca owners in the Fraser Valley and go with what they prefer - or take a chance and buy whatever you like the look of.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
They're pricey and hard to find in your size, but the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred may be a good choice, especially for your location. They have the snowflake symbol and are approved for winter driving. In your area, it should not be a problem to use them all year round, even if you take the vehicle for ski trips, etc.. And they're very good in rain, too.

Ratings can be seen at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyres ... p?type=HAS

Sears USA carries them for about $250 each for 255/55R18 109H. They may have some special rebate offers as well.
Sep 16, 2008
127 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
+1 - I just put these on my vehicle. Thus far, smooth and quiet ride