• Jan 10th, 2019 7:21 pm
[OP]
Mar 12, 2013
104 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton

Best Antivirus Protection for my laptops

Hi all

I was planning to buy Antivirus for my 3 laptops. Please suggest me the best antivirus boxing day deals if you found any.

ps: should there be any antivirus installed on my phones as well or is it not necessary? . tia
33 replies
Aug 5, 2005
202 posts
97 upvotes
glenn9090 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 2:53 pm
Hi all

I was planning to buy Antivirus for my 3 laptops. Please suggest me the best antivirus boxing day deals if you found any.

ps: should there be any antivirus installed on my phones as well or is it not necessary? . tia
This question has been asked so many times and the simple answer is none are the best. It what works with your system, meaning no bog down on the resource. I just use Microsoft free anti virus and its good enough. Think about it if you're using windows, who better than to use MS anti virus, but to each their own
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5623 posts
2007 upvotes
Alberta
$n00ker wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 3:48 pm
This question has been asked so many times and the simple answer is none are the best. It what works with your system, meaning no bog down on the resource. I just use Microsoft free anti virus and its good enough. Think about it if you're using windows, who better than to use MS anti virus, but to each their own
x2 for Windows Defender. We have 4 laptops running in on Win 10 and never had a problem yet.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10564 posts
9739 upvotes
Oakville
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 6:18 pm
x2 for Windows Defender. We have 4 laptops running in on Win 10 and never had a problem yet.
I also just run Defender on my laptops. On my parents' computers I also add MalwareBytes.
Jan 4, 2014
65 posts
23 upvotes
Paris
Just go with the Windows Antivirus/Defender. Free and does the job. Long time computer nerd here. First used PC Tools. Ha. Did anyone remember that? I have tested, bought and used many antiviruses and they are all CPU/memory hogs. Norton the worst. Kaspersky is the one I used the most, but then went to Windows Defender 5-6 years ago and never looked back. So I recommend Defender.
May 2, 2014
99 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
over the past 10 years i have used AVG and Avast (free editions) couple with Malware Bytes (again free edition) on a range of my laptops and desktops.

i have maybe come across an issue once or twice, but it was a malware and not a virus. I am also a heavy downloader from questionable websites
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10564 posts
9739 upvotes
Oakville
IslandTourGuide wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 9:22 pm
Just go with the Windows Antivirus/Defender. Free and does the job. Long time computer nerd here. First used PC Tools. Ha. Did anyone remember that? I have tested, bought and used many antiviruses and they are all CPU/memory hogs. Norton the worst. Kaspersky is the one I used the most, but then went to Windows Defender 5-6 years ago and never looked back. So I recommend Defender.
Yea, the number one antivirus is using your brain to not open sketchy links/files. If unsure, scan the link/file with www.virustotal.com
May 2, 2014
99 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
$n00ker wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 3:48 pm
Think about it if you're using windows, who better than to use MS anti virus, but to each their own
does this mean you also use Internet Explorer? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Jan 4, 2014
65 posts
23 upvotes
Paris
The OP had a simple question. Not everyone knows when they hit a sketchy link or what's a sketchy file. Likewise, not everyone will scan links. Trust me, if people want to get into your computer no antivirus or blocker will stop them.
Sep 28, 2017
478 posts
297 upvotes
windows built in defender would be the one to use.... like the one member said above, it's made to work with windows. plus i doubt it's a resource hog as that would make windows as a whole look bad and they don't want you to run to apple (and yes i know microsoft has a hand in apple). but those other companies just make their software to run across a general field so that they can sell it... so i'm sure they don't really optimize it or else that might exclude some potential buyers.

what company is going to say on the box/site "sure our software stops all potential threats ! but it will also bog your system down and cause other unavoidable issues with software and hardware". where as microsoft builds it into their OS and are constantly fixing issues to make it run as best as they can. so it's going to be something they make sure is not causing slow downs or incompatibilities if they can help it.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Jan 17, 2013
495 posts
126 upvotes
glenn9090 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 2:53 pm
Hi all

There are 4 factors to consider:

(1) Your risk level

If you visit a lot of free websites such as movies, games, utilities, adult material, etc, then you are bound to be hit/attacked one day. So you will definitely need a good anti-virus protection. A person may say "I use John Doe Antivirus and have no problems" but the person didn't say how he use his computer. If he does not visit high risk websites, then how effective is John Doe Antivirus is not known.

(2) How much resources the anti-virus use

As pointed out, avoid those anti-virus that takes up a lot of resources and slow down your system.

(3) Level of support

How fast is the level of support provided by the anti-virus company when your system is infected or when the anti-virus causes windows to slow down/malfunction? Does the free ones provide support? Within a day or takes days/weeks?

(4) How established is the anti-virus company

Well established suggests the company have more resources to develop/research/support the anti-virus software and also the company has a reputation to upkeep. Microsoft has been around for over 40 years, Symantec which develops Norton Security is over 35 years, McAfee over 32 years (2 owners though), Kaspersky 21 years (Russian product, security risk???), AVG AntiVirus 20 months old, Malwarebytes 12 years ago, etc
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1163 posts
885 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Is windows defender installed by default on win10?