• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 1:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
26 posts
Ontario

Best articulating ladders

Looking to buy one of these articulating ladders...looking at the Little Giant Model 17 and also the Werner 17...I need at least a 15 foot fully extended to get at my eaves to remove leaves.
I am looking at these types of ladders mainly for the ease of storage.
Not sure which one was the original,as there are loads of this type available...just not sure which one to buy, I already have an 8 foot step ladder,but not high enough to get at my gutters.
Which one do you own and why? Thanks,Huck
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2190 posts
1066 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
One important thing to consider, regardless of the ladder you choose, is it's duty rating. Buy a higher rating than you need. (I wish I weighed as much as I did when I was 20)

I believe Little Giant were the first ladders of this type.
I bought a 17' Little Giant at the Home Show on the CNE grounds in the early '90's. It cost an arm and a leg, but man, it was a godsend renovating my first home. My ex-wife borrowed it permanently (never lend your ex ANYTHING), so I replaced it with a 17' Featherlite Jaws Junior.
The locking mechanism on the Featherlite is like an interlocking set of pyramid shaped teeth that is knob tightened, versus a spring loaded double pin lock on the Little Giant. The Featherlte takes a bit longer set up as such. I like the Jaws ladder in that even if it's not tightened fully, the teeth cannot disengage.

I also own a 21' Mastercraft that is a rip off of the Little Giant's lock mechanism. (Or is it a rip off of Werner's, which is a rip off of Little Giant's?.. so confusing). I bought it because I found 17' isn't enough reach in some cases. It was an earlier version, and they may have changed some things, but the one I have is a friggin' pain in the ass to get to lock. It has some kind of 'move past lock position' then 'move forward to lock' mechanism. Sometimes it locks one one side, sometimes it locks two sides, sometimes neither side. The last job site I used it at, I was very tempted to pull out my reciprocating saw and cut it in half. I was being cheap, and it was on sale. "Buy cheap, buy twice" is the lesson here.

Do note that none of these ladders are as light as a step ladder.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
26 posts
Ontario
Thanks!...I am going to look at a few at Lowes (Werner 17 feet,300 pounds) today...I weigh 165....not sure who carries Little Giant near me...I can get one (LG)from Amazon.ca,same price as Lowes for the Werner 17...I will check out the Featherlite's also.
Which is the best type of hinge locking system...spring loaded pins,interlocking jaws?Thanks,Huck50
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8612 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
I also bought the Little Giant from Costco. It's sturdy and very useful, but one big issue

The width of each step is very narrow!!!

My cousin bought these telescoping ladders and she swears by them. Her husband is a big guy (heavy) and he uses them all the time.

It collapses and fits into his car trunk. Here's one example

https://www.amazon.ca/Telesteps-1800EP- ... pic+ladder
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1223 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
I grabbed one of these on sale for $120 a few weeks back. 99% sure they're the same as Werner with different stickers on them.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/multi ... p.html#srp

Only downside is they are a bit awkward to set up in small Toronto yards, but any longer ladder is. I have a 32ft extension ladder that is a PITA to move around.

Used the articulating ladder as a step ladder to do some staining, but it's also long enough to reach the eaves when needed and when folded in 1/2 and shortened, it stores easily. Just heavy, which is to be expected from a 21 foot ladder.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
26 posts
Ontario
Thanks everyone who commented! I ended up going with a Werner 3 section 16 foot extension ladder,just on the fact that I think I would feel safer without using any flexing at the hinge point,plus it is a 6 foot length all shortened up and easy to store....tried it when I got home and I can reach my 13 foot high gutters easily. I already have 6 and 8 feet step ladders,so they can do most inside stuff for what I need.Thanks,Huck50
Last edited by Huck50 on Oct 12th, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4847 posts
1599 upvotes
Paris
rfdrfd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:57 am
I also bought the Little Giant from Costco. It's sturdy and very useful, but one big issue

The width of each step is very narrow!!!

My cousin bought these telescoping ladders and she swears by them. Her husband is a big guy (heavy) and he uses them all the time.

It collapses and fits into his car trunk. Here's one example

https://www.amazon.ca/Telesteps-1800EP- ... pic+ladder
Those ladders are basically magic.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.