[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2632 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto

Best BBQ Cover Brand/Materials?

Hi everyone!

I just purchased a BBQ not too long ago, and now I'm looking for a cover to protect it.

My parents bought a grey plasticy cover that lasted no longer than a summer after it dry-rotted and tore all over the place just by handling it.

Similar thing happened to a friend who bought a Canvas-like material. It faded like crazy in the sun, and then after a winter started to dry rot in the summer.

Ideally I know you shouldn't leave your BBQ outside in the winter (covered of course), however this may be my only option if I don't buy an outdoor shed in time to protect it from the elements.

Can anyone recommend a brand, heck even a type of material, that I should be looking for that will NOT fade, dry rot, rip, and get mouldy... while still allowing for proper ventilation and not rusting out the BBQ?

Thanks all!
13 replies
Jul 16, 2005
305 posts
2 upvotes
Oshawa
the cheap crappy tire version is better than the expensive crappy tire version.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2016 posts
65 upvotes
Niagara area
Try to find a canvas type waterproof fabric. The plastic coated ones harden and crack after 3-4 years.
Oct 29, 2007
71 posts
27 upvotes
I bought one at Costco. Looks quite durable. But used for only one year. Sees can last at least few years. The color at the top fades a little bit due to the sun light but not a major problem. Last year, the price is less than 20$
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2632 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
GTT1 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 8:36 pm
Try to find a canvas type waterproof fabric. The plastic coated ones harden and crack after 3-4 years.
EXACTLY! yeah, I'm trying to stay away from the plastic coated ones.

Can anyone recommend a brand/store to pick up a canvas one?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2016 posts
65 upvotes
Niagara area
Repooc wrote:
Jun 17th, 2009 12:19 am
EXACTLY! yeah, I'm trying to stay away from the plastic coated ones.

Can anyone recommend a brand/store to pick up a canvas one?

Thanks
My sister has one and she said she bought it at a Home hardware store. I intend to get around to looking sometime so if someone sees one I would like one. Hers is over 5 years old and in better shape than my plastic coated one.
Jun 2, 2009
18 posts
4 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
For my Broil King BBQ, I bought a BK cover that feels like heavy thick nylon. It did fade under the sun as it gets direct afternoon sunlight, but it's been very solid and it's on its 2nd year so far. It's still waterproof and doing the job perfectly. I used to buy the cheap covers from Walmart that wouldn't survive one winter.
May 12, 2009
10 posts
Brampton
stevensun74 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 11:06 pm
I bought one at Costco. Looks quite durable. But used for only one year. Sees can last at least few years. The color at the top fades a little bit due to the sun light but not a major problem. Last year, the price is less than 20$
Indeed those are great covers. I've had one for almost 2 years now and it's still as strong as the first day, just faded a bit on top (gets sun all day long).
My parents have had theirs for 3 years or more and it's still in great condition.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1053 posts
7 upvotes
York
dhalgren wrote:
Jun 17th, 2009 1:57 pm
Indeed those are great covers. I've had one for almost 2 years now and it's still as strong as the first day, just faded a bit on top (gets sun all day long).
My parents have had theirs for 3 years or more and it's still in great condition.
Anyone know if they are still selling these at Costco. I was there this afternoon and didn't see any BBQ covers anywhere. I need a BBQ cover, I might have just missed it.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2004
4204 posts
87 upvotes
WeeB wrote:
Jun 17th, 2009 4:39 pm
Anyone know if they are still selling these at Costco. I was there this afternoon and didn't see any BBQ covers anywhere. I need a BBQ cover, I might have just missed it.
I haven't seen them this season. I bought one there last year.

BTW, Zellers has 40% off BBQ accessories - pretty good prices after the discount. I saw a few different covers there.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1053 posts
7 upvotes
York
So what s better BBQ cover? A nylon type fabric of the plasticy/fake leather like material?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4845 posts
233 upvotes
Got the cheap one at Costco. The black faded in a week big time. Oh well, it's kinda cheap so I can afford to replace it in a few yrs
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1675 posts
31 upvotes
WeeB wrote:
Jun 17th, 2009 4:39 pm
Yes they do ... the breathable, nylon type fabric. $ 28.99
× < >