Travel

Best bet to fly from Toronto to San Francisco in December 2019 for reasonable price ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 8:22 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
112 posts
14 upvotes

Best bet to fly from Toronto to San Francisco in December 2019 for reasonable price ?

Best bet to fly from Toronto to San Francisco in December 2019 for reasonable price ? 2 Adults, 2 kids and one infant on lap ! Is there any other airports closer to get cheaper price. I'm getting $2400-$2500 CAD as cheapest now from YYZ to SFO. Any other options for me ? Looking for 5-6 days travel before mid of Dec 2019. Kindly advice...
Regards !
20 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10650 posts
1689 upvotes
Toronto
Prob won't get much cheaper. Also, which part of December? Big difference when school is out.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
112 posts
14 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 1:35 pm
Prob won't get much cheaper. Also, which part of December? Big difference when school is out.
Any days in December will do !
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11384 posts
1618 upvotes
Mississauga
Look into San Jose or even Oakland as alternate airports. It'll involve a layover as there are no non-stop flights from Toronto to these airports at the moment. I believe Air Canada will start the Toronto-San Jose non-stop route next spring.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10650 posts
1689 upvotes
Toronto
MK1986 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 2:02 pm
Any days in December will do !
i've learned that San Fran is perpetually on the higher side. Even when I went about 10 years ago. I'm guessing that flights to there aren't as abundant (so more of a regional airport). What's your plan in San Fran?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1996 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Swoop flies Hamilton to LV. And try cheap tickets there to SF. Or Porter to Chicago and then from there. With a small child, they both seem bad choices. How about Buffalo?
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
112 posts
14 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 4:10 pm
i've learned that San Fran is perpetually on the higher side. Even when I went about 10 years ago. I'm guessing that flights to there aren't as abundant (so more of a regional airport). What's your plan in San Fran?
Family visit !
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
112 posts
14 upvotes
Thanks all , yes we are travelling with three small kids, so cannot do multiple stop over and very tight on schedule, only have 4-5 days for the entire trip including travel !
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3808 posts
1602 upvotes
Much cheaper fares to Los Angeles. As low as $330 CAD return per passenger in Dec.

$515 CAD return to San Francisco. All on Delta one stop.

Non stop to SFO is $628.
Feb 29, 2008
277 posts
73 upvotes
GTA
Fly out of Buffalo or Detroit to Oakland/San Jose/San Fran
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7777 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver
MK1986 wrote: Thanks all , yes we are travelling with three small kids, so cannot do multiple stop over and very tight on schedule, only have 4-5 days for the entire trip including travel !
I mean this with no disrespect but what are you hoping for?

Tight schedule. Very strongly prefer no connection. Short of someone giving you a gift card number or a 15-20% off coupon code that frequent. Fliers tend to have when ac messes up what do you expect?

I don’t mean to be rude but seriously. Go somewhere cheaper during the holidays or pay to play. Especially if schedule is important.

That said. If you haven’t already maybe look at the personal finance forums. Credit card churn the next vacation.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2157 posts
1141 upvotes
Sacramento (SMF) comes up at CAD$399 on Kayak per person in December round-trip from Toronto on United. Its a 90 mile (ie: 140km) drive, but if you're getting a rental car anyways... And the road to/from Sacramento is all nice freeway that usually flows reasonably well.

If you book it as a one-way and are travelling without checked baggage, you could even arrive at SFO as SFO is a 'hidden city' connection. And skip your onwards flight to Sacramento.

LA, lol, that's a 7-8 hour drive.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11509 posts
4846 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 2:47 am
I mean this with no disrespect but what are you hoping for?

Tight schedule. Very strongly prefer no connection. Short of someone giving you a gift card number or a 15-20% off coupon code that frequent. Fliers tend to have when ac messes up what do you expect?

I don’t mean to be rude but seriously. Go somewhere cheaper during the holidays or pay to play. Especially if schedule is important.

That said. If you haven’t already maybe look at the personal finance forums. Credit card churn the next vacation.
+1
not to mention he's looking to travel within 2 months from now.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3330 posts
2529 upvotes
If you want a non-stop flight you can forget Buffalo as no airline goes nonstop from BUF to any of the Bay Area airports. JetBlue does fly nonstop to LAX but then you have a really long drive after that.
Detroit might be your better option if you must go non-stop but now you're adding a 4 hour drive to/from there from Toronto.

Maybe try out of Buffalo but make sure your layover (and limit that to just one) is at least 3 hours, so you won't be so rushed dragging kids and luggage from one gate to another (and you might have time to get lunch). Given the distances you have to hike through that place, I strongly recommend NOT changing in Atlanta if you can avoid it. It's fine if you're alone or all adults but with kids, avoid.

Consider flying Southwest Airlines out of Buffalo as they let you check 2 bags free (so, again, you can check in more stuff and not have as much to carry on planes and through airports). Just read up on how their boarding system works as they don't do seat assignments, it's "rush seating" with them but the order you board is important.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Nov 26, 2012
123 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Given the size and age of your travel party and restricted travel period, I suggest you just pay up. $2400 for 2 adults and 3 kids RT direct to SFO is not that bad tbh. Maybe see if there are any deals over the thanksgiving weekend. Last 2 years, AC and WJ have had promos.

Personally think that transferring in the US for domestic flights segments with no status AND for a party of 5 would be a nightmare if anything were to go wrong.