Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA

Best Black Eyeliner?

Not sure if there's a post on this (I thought there was but when I searched it, there wasn't one). But what do you guys think are the best black eyeliners out there? These are the ones I use so far.

Gel
I stand by MAC's Black Black Chromaline. I used to use blacktrack fluidline religiously, but then its non-waterproof formula made it run from the waterline throughout the day. Not all Chromalines are eye-safe (only the Black and White ones are I think) however, so if you guys want to try the coloured ones, you guys might be better off trying another one.

Pencil
UD's 24/7. Still fades throughout the day, but not nearly as bad as other ones. I used to use Dior's Le Crayon since it's waterproof and supposedly smudgeproof, but it's not. Its stubborn formula, however, makes it hard to clean up when it smudges and gives the racoon eyes. =/

Liquid
I've been using Gosh's extreme art liquid liner from SDM, and this stuff WORKS. The only thing is that it takes a while to dry (about 10-15 seconds after application) so if you blink, it'll smudge into your crease and it'll STAY there. But the great thiing about it is that it really doesn't smudge or budge at all throughout the day. Absolutely needs waterproof eyemakeup remover (the greasier kinds) to get rid of though.

I pretty much stick with these 3, but if you guys have any suggestions, I'll check them out!
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
112 upvotes
Gel
I use Bobbi Brown's long wear gel eyeliner. It smudges but I only use it for special occasions and apply it outside the upper lashline. I am still a noob with brushes so I have to take my time for gel eyeliners.
I also have Sephora gel eyeliner and it's @#$%. Never buy it people! ZzZZ, after buying this Sephora product, I don't think I will buy any Sephora brand items anymore. Quality is so crap> :(
There's one more that I bought in Asia, which has glitter and is super dark. I love it.

Question: How do you clean your brushes? I usually water it and wipe it with paper towel but I don't know how frequent I should do this.

Pencil
Still using ones from SDM. I have not came across a 'great' pencil eyeliner yet. However, I am willing to try new stuff. :) I usually apply pencil inside the upper and bottom lashline. For casual wear :)

Question: How do you sharpen your eyeliner pencils?

Liquid
Not a big fan of liquid as I am not as skilled/always screw up. I find that my hand is not still when applying liquid eyeliner, lols. I do have a Motives brand liquid eyeliner pen which is amazing when I do it right.

Good thread, sedated_xtc :) I like it.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
biee wrote: Gel
I use Bobbi Brown's long wear gel eyeliner. It smudges but I only use it for special occasions and apply it outside the upper lashline. I am still a noob with brushes so I have to take my time for gel eyeliners.
I also have Sephora gel eyeliner and it's @#$%. Never buy it people! ZzZZ, after buying this Sephora product, I don't think I will buy any Sephora brand items anymore. Quality is so crap> :(
There's one more that I bought in Asia, which has glitter and is super dark. I love it.

Question: How do you clean your brushes? I usually water it and wipe it with paper towel but I don't know how frequent I should do this.

Pencil
Still using ones from SDM. I have not came across a 'great' pencil eyeliner yet. However, I am willing to try new stuff. :) I usually apply pencil inside the upper and bottom lashline. For casual wear :)

Question: How do you sharpen your eyeliner pencils?

Liquid
Not a big fan of liquid as I am not as skilled/always screw up. I find that my hand is not still when applying liquid eyeliner, lols. I do have a Motives brand liquid eyeliner pen which is amazing when I do it right.

Good thread, sedated_xtc :) I like it.

For gel liners, what brush do you use? I use MAC's 209 for upper and 201 for lower but on days when I want to make a more pronounced wing, I use the 266.

For cleaning, most people recommend just using water and baby shampoo (it's gentler). There's also brush cleaner (MAC has one, I think Sephora has some), but that's more for 'deep cleaning' as they're usually alcohol/acetone based and can dry out real hair brushes. Same deal with brush cleaners, run water through the brush to get rid of excess pwoders/gels whatever, then work the brush cleaner through (i usually just dump it onto a paper towel or kleenex then swirl my brush in it and repeat until the cleaner runs clear), then rinse my brushes. ALWAYS lay your brushes flat when drying after reshaping. And try not to get too much water into the part where the bristles are held by the brush cause it might mess with the glue that's holding it together.

And sharpening pencils? There's eyeliner pencil sharpeners. I had a stockpile up from when I used to buy Dior liners caues they all came free with one, but MAC, Sephora, SDM all sell them. :) It's basically like a pencil sharpener, but I *think* it's supposed to be sharper so that it prevents your eyeliner from splintering so nothing falls in your eye to make you go blind.

Oh, and if you're looking for a pencil, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Urban Decay's 24/7 pencils. :) They DO fade over the course of the day, but they don't really smudge you into a racoon. Just have to reapply.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2005
2058 posts
75 upvotes
I am a fan of Annabelle's smoothliner!
Cheap and works fantastic
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
112 upvotes
sedated_xtc wrote: For gel liners, what brush do you use? I use MAC's 209 for upper and 201 for lower but on days when I want to make a more pronounced wing, I use the 266.

For cleaning, most people recommend just using water and baby shampoo (it's gentle). There's also brush cleaner (MAC has one, I think Sephora has some), but that's more for 'deep cleaning' as they're usually alcohol/acetone based and can dry out real hair brushes. Same deal with brush cleaners, run water through the brush to get rid of excess pwoders/gels whatever, then work the brush cleaner through (i usually just dump it onto a paper towel or kleenex then swirl my brush in it and repeat until the cleaner runs clear), then rinse my brushes. ALWAYS lay your brushes flat when drying.

And sharpening pencils? There's eyeliner pencil sharpeners. I had a stockpile up from when I used to buy Dior liners caues they all came free with one, but MAC, Sephora, SDM all sell them. :) It's basically like a pencil sharpener, but I *think* it's supposed to be sharper so that it prevents your eyeliner from splintering.

Oh, and if youer looking for a pencil, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Urban Decay's 24/7 pencils. :) They DO fade over the course of the day, but htey don't relaly smudge you into a racoon.

Thanked! I will definitely pick up UD's 24/7 pencil next time I stop by Sephora !!! :D

One more question, kinda off topic but which eye makeup remover do you use? I'm using Shiseido's and I don't find it that effective. Any suggestions? :)
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
funkyfr3sh_ wrote: I am a fan of Annabelle's smoothliner!
Cheap and works fantastic

I've had a couple of those and they apply really well, but not so much for staying power. But then again, it's cause i always apply onto my waterline so waterproof and smudgeproof is a must. =/ I'm pretty sure I'll go blind someday from that.
biee wrote: Thanked! I will definitely pick up UD's 24/7 pencil next time I stop by Sephora !!! :D

One more question, kinda off topic but which eye makeup remover do you use? I'm using Shiseido's and I don't find it that effective. Any suggestions? :)

Lol, go tomorrow! March 29 = VIB 15% off day. Basically means no tax, lol. And you get a free umbrella. If you don't have the email, PM me your email and I'll forward you a copy of it. :) :)

I use an Almay one that says it's for waterproof eye makeup, it's kinda greasy, but it just makes it all melt away. Most I find that are effective have some oily compound in it or they're the type that is duo layered (there's a layer of oil on top of solution and you shake it up before you use it).

I've also used a Clean & Clear one as well as a Vichy one, all work about the same. I think the key here is that as long as it's one that clearly says it's for waterproof eye makeup, it should be ok. And I agree about how Sephora makeup is crap, but I got a sample of their eyemakeup remover and it was ok. Don't know if I'll buy it though.

But the thing is you always have to rinse your face after you use it or you'll get oil pockets around the eye area. Not a good look.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
112 upvotes
sedated_xtc wrote: Lol, go tomorrow! March 29 = VIB 15% off day. Basically means no tax, lol. And you get a free umbrella. If you don't have the email, PM me your email and I'll forward you a copy of it. :) :)

I use an Almay one that says it's for waterproof eye makeup, it's kinda greasy, but it just makes it all melt away. Most I find that are effective have some oily compound in it or they're the type that is duo layered (there's a layer of oil on top of solution and you shake it up before you use it).

I've also used a Clean & Clear one as well as a Vichy one, all work about the same. I think the key here is that as long as it's one that clearly says it's for waterproof eye makeup, it should be ok. And I agree about how Sephora makeup is crap, but I got a sample of their eyemakeup remover and it was ok. Don't know if I'll buy it though.

But the thing is you always have to rinse your face after you use it or you'll get oil pockets around the eye area. Not a good look.

Nah, can't go tomorrow :( I'm not even in Toronto :( Are you going tomorrow? :cheesygri

Yeah, the Shiseido one I'm currently using is oil-based and like what you mentioned, it gets really oily after I wipe my eyes with it. So even if you don't use waterproof eyeliner/mascara, you use the waterproof eye makeup remover??

Do you use those Neutrogena(or any other brand) wipes as makeup remover? I am really tempted to get some but I don't know if it's worth getting.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
biee wrote: Nah, can't go tomorrow :( I'm not even in Toronto :( Are you going tomorrow? :cheesygri

Yeah, the Shiseido one I'm currently using is oil-based and like what you mentioned, it gets really oily after I wipe my eyes with it. So even if you don't use waterproof eyeliner/mascara, you use the waterproof eye makeup remover??

Do you use those Neutrogena(or any other brand) wipes as makeup remover? I am really tempted to get some but I don't know if it's worth getting.
I use the same eye makeup remover everyday, lol, but then again, all my liners are waterproof. =/ Lol

And no, i haven't, i just wash my face twice with a foaming cleanser (scrubbing about 30 secs each time) and then follow up with a scrub (Kose warming massage gel). :) Haven't really had any problems with my stuff coming off.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
112 upvotes
sedated_xtc wrote: I use the same eye makeup remover everyday, lol, but then again, all my liners are waterproof. =/ Lol

And no, i haven't, i just wash my face twice with a foaming cleanser (scrubbing about 30 secs each time) and then follow up with a scrub (Kose warming massage gel). :) Haven't really had any problems with my stuff coming off.

Haha, that's what I've been doing too ! I wash my face with cleanser twice..but sometimes I don't know if it's clean enough and that I've removed all makeup/dirt... :|
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
2173 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
Gel Liners
For gel liners, ones I suggest are Shu Uemura Painting Liner and Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Liner. They both work very well. I just don't use them anymore, because they take longer to put on.

Pencil Liners
I've used quite a few over the years and I don't like pencil liners in general, but one that I use when I need a pencil liner look is Elizabeth Arden Colour Intrigue Eyeliner.

Liquid Liner
I usually prefer liquid liner. I used to use Lancome Artliner, but I found it came out too strong or too weak at times and the tip was harder to use. I now use, surprisingly enough, the liquid eyeliner from the Body Shop. It's easy to apply and it lasts all day. As an added bonus, it's cheap too!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
EbonyRose wrote: Gel Liners
For gel liners, ones I suggest are Shu Uemura Painting Liner and Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Liner. They both work very well. I just don't use them anymore, because they take longer to put on.

How long do you keep yours for? I've had an issue with Bobbi Brown before where I find the pot dries out VERY easily (<2 months even if there's tonnes of product left), even when I close it tight and store it upside down. And how did you set it? I find its smudgeable formula makes it less durable. But then again, the only things I found that could wear like iron on the waterline is chromaline and some greasepaints.
Nov 7, 2011
773 posts
34 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
sedated_xtc wrote: Not sure if there's a post on this (I thought there was but when I searched it, there wasn't one). But what do you guys think are the best black eyeliners out there? These are the ones I use so far.

Gel
I stand by MAC's Black Black Chromaline. I used to use blacktrack fluidline religiously, but then its non-waterproof formula made it run from the waterline throughout the day. Not all Chromalines are eye-safe (only the Black and White ones are I think) however, so if you guys want to try the coloured ones, you guys might be better off trying another one.

Hmmm, I'm going to try the Chromaline. I currently use the Blacktrack fluidline gel with 266 brush lol I wish it came with a brush :( lol
What are chromalines usually for anyways?
Is this it?
http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/sha ... index.tmpl
So it's a pencil ?

For pencil liners, I use Chanel's waterproof eyeliner and for gel liners, I use MAC's Blacktrack. I don't use liquid liners.

Btw, off topic, but I got my Kose black mask @ sedated ;) Going to try it out this week! lol And Sephora still has 15% off until April 5 I believe :D
CUTE PICS <3
http://tinyurl.com/cppxpvx & http://tinyurl.com/c4jbapt
WTB: BNIB BB Bold 9900 | Holt Renfrew GC
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
chibsta08 wrote: Hmmm, I'm going to try the Chromaline. I currently use the Blacktrack fluidline gel with 266 brush lol I wish it came with a brush :( lol
What are chromalines usually for anyways?
Is this it?
http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/sha ... index.tmpl
So it's a pencil ?

For pencil liners, I use Chanel's waterproof eyeliner and for gel liners, I use MAC's Blacktrack. I don't use liquid liners.

Btw, off topic, but I got my Kose black mask @ sedated ;) Going to try it out this week! lol And Sephora still has 15% off until April 5 I believe :D

It's not a pencil, it's a pro product so you might want to head to the queen street pro store to try it out, basically it's like fluidline 2.0 imo. Waterproof and more creamy and comes in the same container as a paint pot. I had blacktrack before too, but find its staying power kinda meh after a while and i have to layer it multiple times to get the actual black look i want it to have.

http://www.temptalia.com/mac-pro-chroma ... hes-photos
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/show ... Eye_Shadow

And yay!! I hope you like it! But keep in mind, stay away from the eyebrows and hairline!! Try a thin layer for your first time, it dries to a almost papery kinda texture so it's not hard to peel off imo, but it DOES kinda hurt, so nstead of ripping it off, I foud it easier to "roll" it towards my nose from the outside edges.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
My girl friends swear by Macquillage by Shiseido.

But I don't think it's sold in Canada since they asked me to buy a lot for them when I was in HK.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
2173 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
sedated_xtc wrote: How long do you keep yours for? I've had an issue with Bobbi Brown before where I find the pot dries out VERY easily (<2 months even if there's tonnes of product left), even when I close it tight and store it upside down. And how did you set it? I find its smudgeable formula makes it less durable. But then again, the only things I found that could wear like iron on the waterline is chromaline and some greasepaints.

I found that it dried out easily too. There are ways to revive, but it's just so much effort. That's why I've stopped using it. Honestly, I have huge problems with smudging, because of my eye shape and the absolute best eyeliners for me are the Lancome Artliner and the Body Shop liquid liner. I've cried with the body shop one and it still stays in place.
Nov 7, 2011
773 posts
34 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
sedated_xtc wrote: It's not a pencil, it's a pro product so you might want to head to the queen street pro store to try it out, basically it's like fluidline 2.0 imo. Waterproof and more creamy and comes in the same container as a paint pot. I had blacktrack before too, but find its staying power kinda meh after a while and i have to layer it multiple times to get the actual black look i want it to have.

http://www.temptalia.com/mac-pro-chroma ... hes-photos
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/show ... Eye_Shadow

And yay!! I hope you like it! But keep in mind, stay away from the eyebrows and hairline!! Try a thin layer for your first time, it dries to a almost papery kinda texture so it's not hard to peel off imo, but it DOES kinda hurt, so nstead of ripping it off, I foud it easier to "roll" it towards my nose from the outside edges.

Yup, I've tried the Boscia one too lol It does hurt :'( but it's not THAT bad lol
CUTE PICS <3
http://tinyurl.com/cppxpvx & http://tinyurl.com/c4jbapt
WTB: BNIB BB Bold 9900 | Holt Renfrew GC
Jun 8, 2010
66 posts
8 upvotes
Gel Liners
Never tried a gel before.

Pencil Liners
I use pencil on my lower. I really like Smashbox Limitless eye liner in Onyx.

Liquid Liner
I use liquid almost every day, I've been using Rimmel liquid liner in Black Glamour for years. I really like the applicator, it allows me to be very precise. Ohh, and it's really cheap! I picked up a few at SDM for $5.99 each on the weekend.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
EbonyRose wrote: I found that it dried out easily too. There are ways to revive, but it's just so much effort. That's why I've stopped using it. Honestly, I have huge problems with smudging, because of my eye shape and the absolute best eyeliners for me are the Lancome Artliner and the Body Shop liquid liner. I've cried with the body shop one and it still stays in place.

Do you revive it like how ppl revive MAC paint pots or fluidline with fix+ and stuff? I find that my paintpots dry out fairly easily (within 2 months of opening), but it made a bit of a difference when I started storing them upside down (they say it forces the air out of the jar) and rubbing a bit of vaseline along the edges of the rim of the pot (you know, the screwy part where the lid goes on)
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
112 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: My girl friends swear by Macquillage by Shiseido.

But I don't think it's sold in Canada since they asked me to buy a lot for them when I was in HK.

Yeah, it's not available in Canada :(

I've only used their foundation before (introduced by my mother) and it's amazinggggg.

I think that line is more targeted towards women in their 20's.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1290 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
iEyeCaptain wrote: My girl friends swear by Macquillage by Shiseido.

biee wrote: Yeah, it's not available in Canada :(

I've only used their foundation before (introduced by my mother) and it's amazinggggg.

I think that line is more targeted towards women in their 20's.

Yeah!! I saw it in HK too, but the thing is, I heard the brush it comes with is really iffy?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)