• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 2:20 am
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
919 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto

Best Bluetooth speaker bang for buck!

I'm looking for a portable Bluetooth speaker that is fairly good price (midrange). Not small speakers mid to upper range in terms of price. My options are
1 Sony xb 40 or xb 30
2.jbl charge 3
3.bose sound link color 2
4.bose sound link mini
5. Monster firecracker (might be too small)
With these in mind... What are your suggestions? If you think there is a better choice then please let me know asap. Thanks.
20 replies
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
919 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto

Damn 9 dollars? I've been looking at a mainstream speakers. Where you can buy at local stores. I'm hesitant to buy stuff online I've never heard about.
Aug 5, 2008
150 posts
91 upvotes
WhatADeal! wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 11:18 am
That's in USD. Add import duties, taxes and brokerage fees and it's much cheaper to buy local.
I thought that you don't pay duties for anything under $20 CAD.
Apr 13, 2010
341 posts
121 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
WhatADeal! wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 11:18 am
That's in USD. Add import duties, taxes and brokerage fees and it's much cheaper to buy local.
$9.99 + $5.84 shipping to Canada (to my postal code anyway) = $15.83US = $19.24CDN

There is no duty, and no brokerage fee since it's delivery by Canada Post. Even if you get dinged HST (which is unlikely), that brings you to $21.74CDN.

I'm curious where you'd find a comparable bluetooth speaker locally for less.
Aug 23, 2017
73 posts
18 upvotes
cursayer wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 7:57 pm
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LZV6TYQ/ Got this on Prime Day for $30. Amazing deal. It sounds great, the sound fills up the room, and can get really loud. The sound compares to my friend's $100+ BT speaker.
+1 to this. Using this BT speaker for a while. For 40 bucks, that's a LOT of bang for your buck.

Sound (both volume and quality) is pretty cool. This supports phone calls thru BT as well. But I wouldn't endorse that part. The quality for phone calls deserves to be improved.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6094 posts
663 upvotes
T dot 6
I have a Bose Sound Link mini and a Cambridge SoundWorks OontZ Angle 3 and in terms of sound quality, the Bose is much much better. But one is >$200 and the other is around $30

The Cambridge I don't think it can beat in it's price range and if you just use it for back ground music it's great. That said, if you listen to a lot of music I would invest in something better.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3314 posts
707 upvotes
Mississauga
JBL no question.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
919 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:21 pm
I have a Bose Sound Link mini and a Cambridge SoundWorks OontZ Angle 3 and in terms of sound quality, the Bose is much much better. But one is >$200 and the other is around $30

The Cambridge I don't think it can beat in it's price range and if you just use it for back ground music it's great. That said, if you listen to a lot of music I would invest in something better.
cursayer wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 7:57 pm
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LZV6TYQ/ Got this on Prime Day for $30. Amazing deal. It sounds great, the sound fills up the room, and can get really loud. The sound compares to my friend's $100+ BT speaker.
How about the anker soundcore boost? That's rated better than the Cambridge. But it's 89.
Feb 8, 2017
244 posts
93 upvotes
we are happy with our bose sound link. works fine, sounds great.
Jan 13, 2004
595 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver
Small bkuetooth speakers have sounded like crap until some recent innovations a couple years ago.

Listen to the JBL Charge 3 or Bose Sound Link Mini and compare it to anything else under $100. Then you'll understand why people are willing to pay $200 for a little Bluetooth speaker.

If you can go with a larger speaker and want good sound for cheap, look up the Doss Soundbox XL. It's $119cad shipped on Amazon and should sound better than the JBL Charge 3. The catch is that it's more comparable in size to the JBL Xtreme.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
919 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
turbo_slug wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:36 am
Small bkuetooth speakers have sounded like crap until some recent innovations a couple years ago.

Listen to the JBL Charge 3 or Bose Sound Link Mini and compare it to anything else under $100. Then you'll understand why people are willing to pay $200 for a little Bluetooth speaker.

If you can go with a larger speaker and want good sound for cheap, look up the Doss Soundbox XL. It's $119cad shipped on Amazon and should sound better than the JBL Charge 3. The catch is that it's more comparable in size to the JBL Xtreme.
Saw alot of does sound box xl reviews on YouTube. Sound is great but people say it's cheap Chinese made.