Toronto
Before Korruption's patented replies, i'll just say:
Canon A590 IS
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
changturkey wrote: Any suggestions?
Yes. Sony's great Cybershot series of cameras.

Excellent timing for your question. I just noticed the DSC-W120 at Sears for $109.

Red Hot price considering I got a similar one for almost double the price just a year or so earlier!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
My suggestion is to not get Sony. Their pictures are alright. Just alright to my level when shooting full auto too.
To me they're not very good in terms of "price vs performance vs quality", which is my definition of best budget.

I'd go for something other than Sony.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
In the same range Costco has the Nikon Coolpix S52c at $169.99 is something I should be considering?
Dec 10, 2003
102 posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands these days (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.). I'll just throw out some points to think about:
  • Image stabilization/Vibration Reduction is worth paying for if you can afford it. This reduces the number of blurry pictures you wind up with.
  • For ultra compact cameras, you're paying more for the smaller size than for any difference in quality.
  • Ignore the megapixels, they don't measure quality.
  • Get something that feels comfortable
  • Lithium Ion batteries are lighter and last longer, but in 2-4 years when you need to buy another one it will likely be hard to find and will cost $30-$60.
  • AA batteries are a bit heavier and won't last as long. Consider getting nimh rechargables (if you don't already have some) and you may need to carry a couple extra with you.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2004
1708 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
canon a590is

it's 129.99 @ dell.ca now
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Canon SD1100IS

I got one each for my Brother & Sister for $114.89
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Aug 30, 2008
186 posts
24 upvotes
Markham
bembol wrote: Canon SD1100IS

I got one each for my Brother & Sister for $114.89
Where, may I ask?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
changturkey wrote: Any suggestions?
It helps to know a bit about what you are planning to use if for and such. Cause in each category (compact,sub compact, superzoom,etc), there is usually a budget model.

It is like asking, what is the best budget car ?? So, do you need to carry just yourself, 2, family of 6 ? And then, do you auto/manual/AC/4x drive/etc ??
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
31 upvotes
PunchMonkey wrote: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands these days (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.). I'll just throw out some points to think about:

[*]Lithium Ion batteries are lighter and last longer, but in 2-4 years when you need to buy another one it will likely be hard to find and will cost $30-$60.

[*]AA batteries are a bit heavier and won't last as long. Consider getting nimh rechargables (if you don't already have some) and you may need to carry a couple extra with you.

I just want to address these 2 things. At present I own to digital cameras. 1 takes a lithium ion and agree with you about the shelf life but want to add the following. THey have a slower battery drain then NIMH's plus at least in my case it takes a lot quicker to charge. Sure at present to get another is pricey but I figure when the battery gets to the point I cannot fully charge anymore one of 2 things will of happenned a) since lithium ion right now is still a relative new technolgy that when I have to get a new one the tech will perfected and like anything will most likely come down in price or b) i will have a better camera so having to replace it will not be a priority.

As for the NIMH they have a slight bigger battery drain then the lithium ion but to get replacements at present are alot cheaper so like above even tho nimh are older tech i am sure they will get even better and who knows maybe even a little bit cheaper. Also the NIMH can take a little longer to do a charge.

Finally so with this I have opted to hold onto both use the ion battery camera for special events where it might be hard to charge unless i can find a good inexpensive extra battery and use the NIMH camera for regular photos that i can use and get replaements for when the ones i own cannot be used at plus allow me the opportunity to charge one set while still be covered.

Should state also when you say budget you might want to define what you mean by that (a price range) what might be budget for you might not be for someone else.
Aug 30, 2008
186 posts
24 upvotes
Markham
Budget ~$150. Mostly point and shoot, with the odd video here and there. I think image stabilization would be a required feature.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote: My suggestion is to not get Sony. Their pictures are alright. Just alright to my level when shooting full auto too.
To me they're not very good in terms of "price vs performance vs quality", which is my definition of best budget.

I'd go for something other than Sony.
Funny how their Alpha DSLRs are easily the best bangs for the buck around now. Please enlighten us with why they're not very good in your opinion.

Canon's A590IS is pretty solid. Meets the intended budget too.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Thx. If that is the case, I would suggest a Canon, really can't go wrong with either a SD / A series, depends on how much control you want to have or even the SXs, if you don't mind the size but great zoom on those.

Canon is great for the SD memory, ease of use, amount of accessories and cheap oem parts (battery & such).
changturkey wrote: Budget ~$150. Mostly point and shoot, with the odd video here and there. I think image stabilization would be a required feature.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote: Funny how their Alpha DSLRs are easily the best bangs for the buck around now. Please enlighten us with why they're not very good in your opinion.

Canon's A590IS is pretty solid. Meets the intended budget too.
Well, a DSLR is a DSLR. To me you cant compare a DSLR to a compact.

I've tried some sony cameras, and i've checked the EXIF afterwards.
To my standards and opinion, the image quality is not as great as all the other camera's i've used such as Canon, FujiFilm.

There was a couple of portrait pictures up close of my uncle's daughter, and used with flash, the camera decided on a high ISO value, 1/40th shutter, with flash as well, resulting in a very noisy image.

On a bright sunny day, the camera still decided on a high iso value with a very fast shutter.
I'm pretty sure he takes all his images on auto.

To me, i dont like how the camera decides on what to use and do. Such as close portrait consisting of head and shoulders with high iso while using flash as well.
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote: Well, a DSLR is a DSLR. To me you cant compare a DSLR to a compact.

I've tried some sony cameras, and i've checked the EXIF afterwards.
To my standards and opinion, the image quality is not as great as all the other camera's i've used such as Canon, FujiFilm.

There was a couple of portrait pictures up close of my uncle's daughter, and used with flash, the camera decided on a high ISO value, 1/40th shutter, with flash as well, resulting in a very noisy image.

On a bright sunny day, the camera still decided on a high iso value with a very fast shutter.
I'm pretty sure he takes all his images on auto.

To me, i dont like how the camera decides on what to use and do. Such as close portrait consisting of head and shoulders with high iso while using flash as well.
I know that a lot of people mistakenly shift the mode dial to High-ISO (it's very easy on the Sony Cybershots as it is right beside Green Auto) so it'll push the ISO up by default even if you're shooting in daylight. The EXIF won't report these special modes. This could be what's happening here.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote: I know that a lot of people mistakenly shift the mode dial to High-ISO (it's very easy on the Sony Cybershots as it is right beside Green Auto) so it'll push the ISO up by default even if you're shooting in daylight. The EXIF won't report these special modes. This could be what's happening here.
The sony cameras that i've played with and seen EXIF data from were not models that have the "High-ISO" option.

I google each camera itself and read up reviews. They did not have the high iso option.
My HEATWARE
100% Positive