• Dec 30th, 2018 1:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes

Best budget GPU

My current video card is an AMD 5750 series and it’s time to upgrade. I’m having driver issues and artifacts on the screen. Anyway it’s like 8 years old.

I was looking at the GT 1030 @ $120 and the GTX 1050 at $170. I was really looking for under $100. But I can go up to $150ish.

Can anyone recommend a good card? Even better if it’s on sale. Ideally it would need to have 2 HDMI or 1 HDMI and DP. HDMI and DVI would work as well. Minimum 2GB?

Thanks!
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6826 posts
1765 upvotes
Maple
Used GTX 970 4gb is best bang for money/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes
teoconca wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 2:59 pm
Used GTX 970 4gb is best bang for money/
Not sure I’d trust a used video card. They could have been overclocked and abused.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2876 posts
554 upvotes
What is it that you do with you video card? If you game at all I'd suggest upping your budget to at least $150 to get at least a 1050 level GPU. If it's just office productivity/web surfing/ youtube.... then pretty much any card will do if you pair it with a i-core level CPU.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1666 posts
792 upvotes
GTA
second2none wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 2:56 pm
My current video card is an AMD 5750 series and it’s time to upgrade. I’m having driver issues and artifacts on the screen. Anyway it’s like 8 years old.

I was looking at the GT 1030 @ $120 and the GTX 1050 at $170. I was really looking for under $100. But I can go up to $150ish.

Can anyone recommend a good card? Even better if it’s on sale. Ideally it would need to have 2 HDMI or 1 HDMI and DP. HDMI and DVI would work as well. Minimum 2GB?

Thanks!
Not sure about your usage or workload but If you don't mind staying with AMD another option is the RX 550. It can be had for $130 and has all 3 ports you mentioned. HDMI, DP and DVI.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... e00a24060c

Otherwise the cheapest under $150 new is a 1030 and they are all low profile with only 1x HDMI an 1x DVI ports that I have seen. The cheapest 1050 is $170.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes
coilz wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 4:57 pm
What is it that you do with you video card? If you game at all I'd suggest upping your budget to at least $150 to get at least a 1050 level GPU. If it's just office productivity/web surfing/ youtube.... then pretty much any card will do if you pair it with a i-core level CPU.
Mostly surfing and very light gaming. I can do $150-$160. Haven’t seen any 1050’s in that range.
Last edited by second2none on Dec 29th, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 26, 2006
584 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
I have a 5770 and a 270x (=7870)

The 7870 = to 1050 performance almost

There is a guy in BST selling a RX460 for $80 maritrunks which I also had which is equal to a 7870 i think (passmark 4300 ish)

OVer double the perforamance of the 5750 you have
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4113 posts
705 upvotes
second2none wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 5:35 pm
Mostly surfing and very light gaming.
You need to define what you consider to be "very light gaming." I've been using onboard integrated Intel HD Graphics. All my gaming is on consoles and mobile. At the time of my PC purchase, I figured I could always buy a GPU in the future if I ever needed one. But it's been 4 years now and I've been fine with onboard integrated graphics. Saved me $500 at the time. And my motherboard has DP, DVI and HDMI.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5019 upvotes
There were various RX 570s on sale in the BD sales (might still be some) which were in this price range and definitely the best bang for the buck considering it's significantly better than 1050 Ti and was going for around the same price.

Nvidia 1050s and 1060s are way overpriced right now. Their prices had come down a few months ago but they went right back up. The only good deals on Nvidia cards as of late have been on 1070 and higher cards. Their upper and lower mid-range cards are not worth buying as AMD prices have come down. That's not to say all AMD cards are down in price but there's been plenty of sales on 570s and 580s, with the 570 being particularly well priced given its performance level.

If you can still find one of those in the $150-180 range with what's left of BD sales, then get one of those.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 5:54 pm
There were various RX 570s on sale in the BD sales (might still be some) which were in this price range and definitely the best bang for the buck considering it's significantly better than 1050 Ti and was going for around the same price.

Nvidia 1050s and 1060s are way overpriced right now. Their prices had come down a few months ago but they went right back up. The only good deals on Nvidia cards as of late have been on 1070 and higher cards. Their upper and lower mid-range cards are not worth buying as AMD prices have come down. That's not to say all AMD cards are down in price but there's been plenty of sales on 570s and 580s, with the 570 being particularly well priced given its performance level.

If you can still find one of those in the $150-180 range with what's left of BD sales, then get one of those.
Dam. Sold out. I hate it when I miss a deal.
Images
  • E5EF6F7D-8F24-4F75-A500-16DB78086FF0.jpeg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 5:46 pm
You need to define what you consider to be "very light gaming." I've been using onboard integrated Intel HD Graphics. All my gaming is on consoles and mobile. At the time of my PC purchase, I figured I could always buy a GPU in the future if I ever needed one. But it's been 4 years now and I've been fine with onboard integrated graphics. Saved me $500 at the time. And my motherboard has DP, DVI and HDMI.
For some reason the MB i decided to buy 8 years ago doesn’t have on board video. I wish it had because at least I could use it while I’m waiting on a new video card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes
Also, do I need to worry about my CPU? I’m reading all sorts of complicated posts about how it may not work with certain CPU’s. It’s an AMD Phenom x4.

Thanks again.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5019 upvotes
second2none wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 6:57 pm
For some reason the MB i decided to buy 8 years ago doesn’t have on board video. I wish it had because at least I could use it while I’m waiting on a new video card.
Depends on what CPU you have. Assuming it's an Intel CPU, if it's Sandy Bridge it would more than likely have an iGPU but there was one Cougar Point chipset that didn't have FDI support--P67. However if you have a Lynnfield CPU then it wouldn't have an iGPU anyway (in first and second gen Core iX CPUs, only Clarkdales had an iGPU)... Either way though Clarkdale and Sandy Bridge iGPUs are really quite weak, you wouldn't be able to do any gaming on them at 1080p though they are certainly fine for 2D/desktop and video (up to AVC) use.

Kind of sucks you missed out on the 570s, CC is showing there was one MSI 570 left but in Ajax (not sure where you are) and it seems CC stores closed already for the day anyway and the sale ended today--ouch! If you can't see any sales at other retailers you may be SOL :( Still I wouldn't pay as much as $130 for a GT 1030* or pay the ludicrous prices on GTX 1050s either. In this case I would go used, though I see you are hesistant--in this case it's best to stick to places like RFD classifieds or eBay where sellers have feedback (obvoiusly buy from those with good feedback).

*Note about the GT 1030. Nvidia pulled a fast one and released a DDR4 version of this card. Stay away, far away (!), from this version of the card. If you must buy new and end up looking at a GT 1030, be sure it's the GDDR5 version. It has 1/3rd (read: miserable) the memory bandwidth and it sells for around the same price. Beware.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5019 upvotes
second2none wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 7:02 pm
Also, do I need to worry about my CPU? I’m reading all sorts of complicated posts about how it may not work with certain CPU’s. It’s an AMD Phenom x4.

Thanks again.
Phenom? Ewww...lol. Okay well Phenom don't have an iGPU either so that explains that. Is it a Phenom II at least? That's a pretty old CPU there, either way. Original Phenom was quite bad, Phenom II...it's not terrible but it's not really up to modern use. It pretty much competes with C2Q processors and wouldn't hold a candle to any QC Core iX, (even a first-gen Lynnfield will spank it).

I'd say if you aren't going to game then just buy something cheap/older/used because it's not worth spending even $150 in GPU for that thing TBH. Otherwise you'll have to upgrade the whole system--board, CPU, RAM at a minimum, plus the GPU (though if gaming needs are indeed light you could build a Ryzen-G system which would have a decent iGPU, thus negating the need to buy a dGPU on top of everything).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 7:23 pm
Phenom? Ewww...lol. Okay well Phenom don't have an iGPU either so that explains that. Is it a Phenom II at least? That's a pretty old CPU there, either way. Original Phenom was quite bad, Phenom II...it's not terrible but it's not really up to modern use. It pretty much competes with C2Q processors and wouldn't hold a candle to any QC Core iX, (even a first-gen Lynnfield will spank it).

I'd say if you aren't going to game then just buy something cheap/older/used because it's not worth spending even $150 in GPU for that thing TBH. Otherwise you'll have to upgrade the whole system--board, CPU, RAM at a minimum, plus the GPU (though if gaming needs are indeed light you could build a Ryzen-G system which would have a decent iGPU, thus negating the need to buy a dGPU on top of everything).
It’s a Phenom II x4 940 3.0ghz with 16MB of ram and a Gigabyte MB. It was a solid machine back then. It does what I need it to do, but it’s old. I was planning on upgrading but I didn’t want to spend $700 on a new MB, RAM and CPU.

If i were to build a new rig I would go for the Ryzen CPU with 32GB of RAM and an ASUS MB. The RAM is the killer.

I could always use the video card in the new system when I build it. That’s why I don’t mind spending $150-$170.