• Jul 24th, 2011 8:01 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 28, 2008
64 posts
2 upvotes
Leduc

Best Budget(Or on Sale) HDTV?

I was wondering what the best rated 'budget' HDTV was, in people's opinions? FINALLY making the first HDTV purchase after using SD for so bloody long. It'll be used for the full gamut of movie watching(have two kids), TV watching(stay at home wife), and PS3/Xbox 360 gaming(ME!). Not particular about LED/LCD/Plasma...Just wanting to know what I should be looking to spend.

Thanks. :D
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
For HDTV viewing, make sure that you get a HD source....cable, satellite, etc. Watching SDTV on a HDTV set is way worse than SDTV on a SDTV set. Look for either LCD or LED (LCD is typically cheaper). For gaming, I would not get anything less than 120 Hz 1080p rez. Size depends on viewing distance and budget. Is 3D needed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HD ... g_distance

Viewing distance = 1.5 to 2.5 times diagonal TV size

For a viewing distance of 6 to 10 feet, a 46 inch is recommended.

5 to 8 feet, a 40 inch.

IMO, 46 inch HDTV are typically in the sweet spot in terms of value or best bang for the buck. I prefer Samsung....only certain models however.

Dave
[OP]
Nov 28, 2008
64 posts
2 upvotes
Leduc
DavidY wrote:
Jul 24th, 2011 1:01 pm
For HDTV viewing, make sure that you get a HD source....cable, satellite, etc. Watching SDTV on a HDTV set is way worse than SDTV on a SDTV set. Look for either LCD or LED (LCD is typically cheaper). For gaming, I would not get anything less than 120 Hz 1080p rez. Size depends on viewing distance and budget. Is 3D needed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HD ... g_distance

Viewing distance = 1.5 to 2.5 times diagonal TV size

For a viewing distance of 6 to 10 feet, a 46 inch is recommended.

5 to 8 feet, a 40 inch.

IMO, 46 inch HDTV are typically in the sweet spot in terms of value or best bang for the buck. I prefer Samsung....only certain models however.

Dave

I was trying to remember what the ratio was for the optimal viewing distance. Just double checked that, looks like I may actually be looking at 46" for our living room. 3d is definitely not needed, but if the TV is a decent price and it includes 3d, then I won't turn it down. I was thinking 32", just for budget constraints but was informed that apparently bigger would be better so I am NOT arguing with the wife on this. lol. I have encountered and gamed on a couple Samsungs...One LED and one LCD. Really liked that, but I'm not specific on brand(preferring to stay away from the lesser knowns(Haier, Emerson, etc, etc). If I'm going to get something like this, may as well get something decent right off of the bat.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
After checking, I think that the Samsung LCD have a lag issue and therefore, not ideal for gaming. LG 47LK520 seems to be quite popular....like some recent Samsung LCD models, it appears that there are various panels within the LG xxLK520 model line....see AVS forum and do a search for what to look for (a specific character in the product code). Different panels are a real pain in the butt to deal....but are critical to picture quality unfortunately. Prices on this TV appear to be in the $700-$800 range (may be cheaper if there is a huge sale). Good luck.

Dave
× < >