• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2009 3:33 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 13, 2007
49 posts
7 upvotes

Best buffet in ottawa?

Hi, I am looking for a good priced buffet in Ottawa for Friday/Sat, preferably with a lot of seafood but anything other than Chinese buffet is fine (had it way too often)

I was looking at a sushi lunch buffet at Jade Asian Kitchen & Sushi Bar for 10.99, and also the 14.99 lunch buffet at Sakura Japanese Restaurant. Have anyone ever been to the 2 places? anyone have any other suggested places to dine?

Thanks in advance!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been to Sakura and I liked it. I've heard 1000 Sushi Islands is pretty good, too. Quite a few Indian buffets around town if you're into that. Also a new Mongolian Hot Pot place @ Bank/Riverside just recently opened (http://www.littlesheephotpot.com/). Oh yeah and there's a few Korean BBQ places around the city as well.
Jul 11, 2003
696 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe it's because I live in Toronto where AYCE is abundant, but I went to Sakura Sushi last weekend and it was terrible. I've been there before but it was even worse the last time I went. 1000 Sushi Island is a lot better comparatively. I haven't tried the other places in Ottawa like Sushi Kan.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
There is the Mosaic buffet, which is Chinese & Indian. Carling & Herzberg in Kanata. It is pretty decent, and I think the prices are reasonable.

There is always Tucker's Marketplace downtown, but I find them a little bland.

There is the Internatiol Buffet in Gatineau. It had a huge selection of all different kinds of food, but I remember it being super busy and fairly expensive.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
angekfire wrote: There is the Mosaic buffet, which is Chinese & Indian. Carling & Herzberg in Kanata. It is pretty decent, and I think the prices are reasonable.

There is always Tucker's Marketplace downtown, but I find them a little bland.

There is the Internatiol Buffet in Gatineau. It had a huge selection of all different kinds of food, but I remember it being super busy and fairly expensive.
The one in Gatineau is http://www.lebuffetdescontinents.com/en/index.php
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
Bah, yea sorry, only been there once and forgot the name.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
Sushi Sakura is probably your best bet so far. Convenient location and the food is decent. I don't like Sushi Kan at all...

Another suggestion is to go to Korea Garden on Rideau (past the Loblaws), they have all-you-can-eat table BBQ on Saturday lunch I believe.

Also Ceylonta (Sri Lankan food) just opened another location in the West End (Carling I believe), they have lunch buffet as well. Pretty spicy stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
canabiz wrote: Another suggestion is to go to Korea Garden on Rideau (past the Loblaws), they have all-you-can-eat table BBQ on Saturday lunch I believe.
I'll have to check that out for sure. Know what the price is like?
canabiz wrote: Also Ceylonta (Sri Lankan food) just opened another location in the West End (Carling I believe), they have lunch buffet as well. Pretty spicy stuff.
I've tried the Ceylonta at bank and the food was pretty good. What my friend got was way better than what I got though, and we didn't do the buffet. The service was crap though.

The one on Carling has been open for a while, its not terribly new. Its like 2 blocks from the colisseum. It has (or had anyway, not sure about now) a fake palm tree outside.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4384 posts
482 upvotes
i've been to Moni Mahal on Laurier...not bad but I haven't been to any other Indian buffets so I can't really compare (http://www.restaurantica.com/on/ottawa/ ... /23004437/)

i've been to Korea Garden before as well...don't get stuck as the guy cooking the food while everyone else eats =P I don't remember the exact prices...but they had a fire there not too long ago and I went before that happened.... I think i recall it being fairly pricey...hmmm

.. hungry ..
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26211 posts
39763 upvotes
Toronto
The buffet at Rideau Carlton racetrack is nice. I get it for free due to my player status but it is decent food.

Lobster Fridays - They're Back and They're Free! Every Friday, when you purchase a dinner buffet, you will receive a free lobster to enjoy with your buffet!
$19.99 per person (plus taxes & gratuity)

Seafood & Prime Rib All-You-Can-Eat Buffet
Available every Saturday for a limited time only!
$19.99 per person (plus taxes & gratuity)

Bigger & Better All-You-Can-Eat Dinner Buffet
Available every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 5pm to 10pm
$9.99 per person (plus taxes & gratuity)

Sunday Brunch Buffet - Kids Eat Free
Available every Sunday from 11am to 3pm
$12.99 per person (plus taxes & gratuity)
$9.99 for children 6 - 12 years of age (plus taxes & gratuity)
Children 5 and under eat free!

For reservations please call (613) 822-2211

[IMG]http://www.rcentertainmentcentre.ca/ima ... banner.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
angekfire wrote: I'll have to check that out for sure. Know what the price is like?

I've tried the Ceylonta at bank and the food was pretty good. What my friend got was way better than what I got though, and we didn't do the buffet. The service was crap though.

The one on Carling has been open for a while, its not terribly new. Its like 2 blocks from the colisseum. It has (or had anyway, not sure about now) a fake palm tree outside.
angel, the price at Korea Garden is pretty competitive, it's not on the cheaper side like the Chinese joints but it won't break your bank either, your best bet is to call them and find out, i believe there is a new owner there now...the previous owner opened another Korean restaurant in Chinatown called Koreana, i've been there a couple of times and the food was pretty good. Same with the service and the decor.

sprung, can you give some feedback about the buffett at the Rideau Carleton Raceway ? I have never eaten there but I am tempted to try it with the free lobster promotion. I read the reviews here and it sounds pretty bad though

http://www.restaurantthing.com/ca/on/ot ... php?ID=732

It's a good half-an-hour drive for us from Barrhaven so i might go ahead and get this lobster deal but I am not too keen, let's put it that way.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been to the racetracks, and it can be hit or miss. I've never had the lobster though. They have the same kinds of foods as Tucker's Marketplace, for comparison.

They have ribs there (which are pretty good usually). I've been a few times, and for the $9.99 it was well worth it, but like I said, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
Sound like a trip for Friday tonight me then. I've been to Tucker's several times for the free birthday meals and I don't mind that type of food at all, not something I want to eat every other day but certainly passable.

I read in the Sun today about a buffet place called *The Persian Grill* on Industrial. Kinda far out for us but if we are in the area, we may check it out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
The raceway also has free dinner on your Birthday. You can also request they display a birthday wish on the big scrolling text banner outside if there is a race on, but we've requested that 2 or 3 times and they always "forget".