Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] $119.99 - Philips Hue A19 Smart Bulb Starter Kit & Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - White Ambiance/Charcoal

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2019 10:50 am
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
688 posts
356 upvotes
Montreal

[Best Buy] $119.99 - Philips Hue A19 Smart Bulb Starter Kit & Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - White Ambiance/Charcoal

First time buyer for a Philips Smart Bulb Starter Kit A19 (White). To be honest, I'm not sure it's the best deal around but taught that by sharing some of you could comment.
The starter kit comes with 4 bulbs (white ambiance), the bridge and also includes an Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen).

[Sorry forgot to add price in title]
Montréal, Québec
30 replies
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
688 posts
356 upvotes
Montreal
No comment about pricing ?
Montréal, Québec
Dec 5, 2017
85 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
Not bad. If you sell the Dot, and Bridge for $25 each, you're only paying $18.50 per bulb.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
688 posts
356 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks. As I said, it's my first smart light kit and haven't being watching deals about these products. I was more interested in the color kit but white bulbs will do just fine to start with.
Montréal, Québec
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2203 posts
543 upvotes
Windsor
MiniTatou wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 4:07 pm
First time buyer for a Philips Smart Bulb Starter Kit A19 (White). To be honest, I'm not sure it's the best deal around but taught that by sharing some of you could comment.
The starter kit comes with 4 bulbs (white ambiance), the bridge and also includes an Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen).

[Sorry forgot to add price in title]
Obviously if you want these bulbs, this is a good price. IMO, the colour ones are very overpriced, but the white ones are insanely overpriced, so to ME, this brings them somewhere near what they're actually worth.

You can get $25 for the bridge without a doubt, and ~$50 for the Dot (probably dependent on where you live). At that point, the bulbs are ~$15, which isn't too bad.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
688 posts
356 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for the info ChubChub. Haven't taught about it but it might be a good idea to sell the Dot. Just not sure yet if I will or not have a use for it. Need to explore & learn what else it can do.
Montréal, Québec
Nov 29, 2013
785 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
What is the main difference between these bulbs and the more round ones? Is it only the ability to dim the lights?

And i see for the hue bridge sold separately it says 2.0, and i am guessing this comes with version 1 so what is the difference between them?
Oct 2, 2016
21 posts
83 upvotes
brensavoyton wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 11:09 am
What is the main difference between these bulbs and the more round ones? Is it only the ability to dim the lights?

And i see for the hue bridge sold separately it says 2.0, and i am guessing this comes with version 1 so what is the difference between them?
These ones can be dimmed and you can change the colour temperature of the white (yellowish to white)

The more round ones can be dimmed but colour temperature can’t be changed
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
688 posts
356 upvotes
Montreal
brensavoyton wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 11:09 am

This link explains differences between generations of the bulbs and bridges: https://huehomelighting.com/key-differe ... hue-bulbs/
This starter kit comes with a 2nd gen bridge.
Montréal, Québec
Dec 12, 2018
8 posts
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I just ordered two. Planning to keep one bundle and will try and sell the echo and bridge from the second.
Sep 16, 2008
38 posts
1 upvote
Ignorant question here -- why would someone buy the bridge via Kijiji/Craigslist? Wouldn't most people have just bought a starter kit and already have a bridge? Are there multiple bridge use cases?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1214 posts
407 upvotes
Montreal
I never lose power, but I sometimes lose my internet connection for half a second. Would these lights turn off in that case?
And would I need to do some tinkering to get it to reconnect?
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Jun 22, 2015
29 posts
8 upvotes
Noobzilla wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 2:08 pm
I never lose power, but I sometimes lose my internet connection for half a second. Would these lights turn off in that case?
And would I need to do some tinkering to get it to reconnect?
No. They would stay on and no, they would keep working.
Oct 19, 2009
139 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
I purchased this starter kit without the Dot for that exact price last week. Just got off the phone with best buy to get a free Dot shipped. Thanks for the heads up OP