Shopping Discussion

Best Buy $20 DVD player plays DVD+-R/W? (Nova DV-D411)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2004 1:54 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 27, 2003
337 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Best Buy $20 DVD player plays DVD+-R/W? (Nova DV-D411)

Does anyone got this DVD player before? Will it play DVD+R/W or DVD-R/W? This would be a nice item to place it beside in your bedroom's TV set.

Based on the web site, the dvd player should be Nova DV-D411.....
13 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
362 upvotes
SmartBen wrote:Does anyone got this DVD player before? Will it play DVD+R/W or DVD-R/W? This would be a nice item to place it beside in your bedroom's TV set.

Based on the web site, the dvd player should be Nova DV-D411.....
-------------------

no i DON'T have this player but just wanted u to update the thread cuz this palyer is on sale for $9.99 after $10 MIR.... even sweeter deall.... can't go wrong with a DVD player....

BUT however, i wanna mention that its currently OOS, which is obvious considering its $10 less than the advertised price.... i was gonna buy it too!.... but stupid lagging BB server at 12-1am EST.... :mad:

link

btw, buy it 1st, try out ur burned DVD+/- Rs and see if they work....if they do, then u've got a pretty damn good player for only $10..... its not "pro-scan" unfortunately.... so u decide over that if its good or not

MJM ;)
Nov 18, 2001
786 posts
6 upvotes
Scarborough
mahjongmaniac wrote:-------------------

no i DON'T have this player but just wanted u to update the thread cuz this palyer is on sale for $9.99 after $10 MIR.... even sweeter deall.... can't go wrong with a DVD player....

BUT however, i wanna mention that its currently OOS, which is obvious considering its $10 less than the advertised price.... i was gonna buy it too!.... but stupid lagging BB server at 12-1am EST.... :mad:

link

btw, buy it 1st, try out ur burned DVD+/- Rs and see if they work....if they do, then u've got a pretty damn good player for only $10..... its not "pro-scan" unfortunately.... so u decide over that if its good or not

MJM ;)
This player plays both DVD -R and DVD+R. (both were memerox brand)

Thought the overall quality is not great, but can't expect too much from $10.

hp
check out my heat
Heat Eval
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
362 upvotes
hp wrote:This player plays both DVD -R and DVD+R. (both were memerox brand)

Thought the overall quality is not great, but can't expect too much from $10.

hp
-----------------

yah.... so if u can, buy it 1st, try out couple of DVD+ and - Rs, observe for quality... and then return it if u don't like it .! :lol:

btw, maybe u should consider try testin the burned DVDs out on a good AND cheap (i.e. Nova) dvd players... just in case its not the dvd players that have the diff, that it might be the quality and how u burned the discs (with which dvd burner and what brand of blank media ) ...

MJM ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9049 posts
1909 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Any hack for region free?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2907 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
Daijoubu wrote:Any hack for region free?
I believe that dvd player plays all region dvds already....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9049 posts
1909 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I was also wondering if it was region free out of the box ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3427 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
even if it doesn't work with +/-R or other regions....would you really consider returning a $10 DVD player?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1240 upvotes
Sauga
Fightguard wrote:even if it doesn't work with +/-R or other regions....would you really consider returning a $10 DVD player?
Yes, if it's bad enough.

Last year I bought a cheapo AMW brand DVD player during Futureshop's Boxing Day sale...around $30, I think. I tried a few commercial DVD's in it, and for all of them the audio was out of sync with the video. I returned it because it was unbearable to watch.

Even for $10, something like that would be a waste of money.

If you read the comments here, this one may be similar. One review reads:

I got one of these things and had to return it because it did not work with standard purchased DVD. The replacement also did not work so I assume that there is some defect with the lot shipped to the store. Anyway it did work with princo 4x DVD-R media and commercial double sided, single layer discs. But not well. It made a lot of noise and touch 30 seconds to start playing a disc.

:confused:
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
362 upvotes
Fightguard wrote:even if it doesn't work with +/-R or other regions....would you really consider returning a $10 DVD player?
Rehan wrote:Yes, if it's bad enough.

Last year I bought a cheapo AMW brand DVD player during Futureshop's Boxing Day sale...around $30, I think. I tried a few commercial DVD's in it, and for all of them the audio was out of sync with the video. I returned it because it was unbearable to watch.

I got one of these things and had to return it because it did not work with standard purchased DVD. The replacement also did not work so I assume that there is some defect with the lot shipped to the store. Anyway it did work with princo 4x DVD-R media and commercial double sided, single layer discs. But not well. It made a lot of noise and touch 30 seconds to start playing a disc.

----------------

same, IF its bad enuff... then i will return it....

as for Rehan's case, i bought the same AMW DVD player last yr like u did... (i think it as instore only as online i think was ~$40...).... but i gotta say mine works *flawlessly*.... originals, burned, almost every type of format except divx (of course, as it was not stated on specifications)....

so Rehan, maybe u got a defect??? maybe u shouldve tried exchanging 4 another 1 and if same/similar things happen, then return it..... :D

MJM ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9049 posts
1909 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Rehan wrote:Yes, if it's bad enough.

Mine still flawlessly (even without the tray face plate, thanks to my friend ;) ), it does have lags when I trow high bitrate MPG or MPEG2 in .mpg files, no problems with DVD or VCD and handle corrupted stream quite well
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1240 upvotes
Sauga
mahjongmaniac wrote:----------------
so Rehan, maybe u got a defect??? maybe u shouldve tried exchanging 4 another 1 and if same/similar things happen, then return it..... :D
Well, others were reporting similar problems if I remember correctly.

Soon after that I got the equivalent of a Norcent DP-300 from another RFD user for a good price, and that has kept me very happy. :)
[OP]
Nov 27, 2003
337 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I went to FS and got the Nova DV-D511 instead (Which should have the same hardwares as D411.), I don't really care about progressive scan or not, it is just that it is closer to my home.

And this DVD player, just like all the China made one, plays DVD+RW & DVD-R!

I tested with Memorex DVD+RW & Pinco DVD-R and it looks o.k.! I tested with some other VCD, DVD movie and they all plays o.k.! It has the video mode (NTSC/PAL plus some other format which it didn't really describe, but who cares..)

The only thing I don't like about this player is that it couldn't display the remaining time of chapter/title.... & it has a weak tick sound when playing disc.. but I don't think this will be the reason to return the player...

Over all, I am happy with $20 player! ($29.99 & $10 MIB)

BTW. I went to FS at 8 a.m. and still a pile of DV511 (Hiding in Music section), took 3 and line up, the guys in front of me see them and ask me where to find them and I show to them. The $29.99 price was for the 1st 30 units only, but the guy in front of me successfully 'talk his way out' to the sales and everyone in front got the special $29.99 price :D