• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2017 3:11 pm
[OP]
Nov 28, 2008
30 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond

[Best Buy] 3-Pack Google Wifi Best Buy $399

It was for sale a few weeks back at $449. I was tempted, but this essentially means its almost tax free.

Not sure if you guys think its hot or cold.
Last edited by osama1234 on Aug 16th, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
55 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1256 posts
176 upvotes
Scarborough
zero64 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:12 am
Unless there's something special about the Google system I'd save my money and use a few Wifi extenders like this one: http://www.ncix.com/detail/tp-link-re20 ... omoid=1653
Mesh network are seamless, with extenders your have to manually switch wifi points or when your devices disconnect from a wifi point.

Might be cheaper to buy 3x Asus or tplink onhubs.
Dec 2, 2007
325 posts
89 upvotes
People should stop mucking around with these crappy consumer solutions and just get one or two Unifi access points and flood their whole block.
Feb 15, 2012
24 posts
14 upvotes
supremekai wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:19 am
Mesh network are seamless, with extenders your have to manually switch wifi points or when your devices disconnect from a wifi point.

Might be cheaper to buy 3x Asus or tplink onhubs.
That's not entirely true. The mesh network will just be useful to help on the configuration. But most extenders today will provide you a very simple "next next finish" experience that will configure the same way (Same SSID and configurations of main router).

I expected that because of the mesh network I would have a seamless switch between bridges, but it seems that that's not the case, it will be hooked to the first one until the connection drops, then the device will have the opportunity to find athe best repeater.
Jan 6, 2006
846 posts
23 upvotes
Markham
caio4686 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:33 am
That's not entirely true. The mesh network will just be useful to help on the configuration. But most extenders today will provide you a very simple "next next finish" experience that will configure the same way (Same SSID and configurations of main router).

I expected that because of the mesh network I would have a seamless switch between bridges, but it seems that that's not the case, it will be hooked to the first one until the connection drops, then the device will have the opportunity to find athe best repeater.
I am a noob with Wifi-Mesh. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is a Wifi-Mesh is just a bunch of repeaters with the same SSID (to make the transition from one to the other seamless supposedly). Other than that, easy configuration and the built-in smartness in picking the fastest path are the selling points. My biggest question is whether the speed will still be cut into half like a repeater?
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4622 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
I bought one of these routers and ended up returning it the next day, you cant change the IP range and its set to some non-standard setting, no thanks, i have way too many static IP's to be messing with this.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3184 posts
946 upvotes
Edmonton
caio4686 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:33 am
I expected that because of the mesh network I would have a seamless switch between bridges, but it seems that that's not the case
+1

There is a common misconception that a mesh system like Google Wifi will magically force your device to connect to the closest/fastest node in the network. However that's simply not true. Your device is solely responsible for determining which node to connect to.

For example, if you have a node in the basement and another on the second floor, as you walk up from the basement to the second floor with your phone, it's entirely conceivable that your phone will hold on to the basement connection if it decides it's strong enough, even though you're now next to your second floor node.

Features like 802.11k/r will help the device make more intelligent decisions about which AP to transition to, but those features need to be supported by both the AP and the device to work.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2008
30 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond
OH god, now you have me confused whether i want to get it. Maybe i'll try a repeater with best buy (with return policy).

I'm at my wits end with dealing with wifi.
Dec 2, 2007
325 posts
89 upvotes
osama1234 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 12:52 pm
OH god, now you have me confused whether i want to get it. Maybe i'll try a repeater with best buy (with return policy).

I'm at my wits end with dealing with wifi.
Order a Unifi Access Point off Amazon. It'll do your whole house.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2008
30 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond
2 storey townhouse for the loss. I have a connection, but its 3-5 mbit often downstairs from a 15mbit internet connection (actually 15mbit upstairs)

AC lite or pro? and just one?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3439 posts
449 upvotes
Windsor
theastroboy wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 12:32 pm
I am a noob with Wifi-Mesh. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is a Wifi-Mesh is just a bunch of repeaters with the same SSID (to make the transition from one to the other seamless supposedly). Other than that, easy configuration and the built-in smartness in picking the fastest path are the selling points. My biggest question is whether the speed will still be cut into half like a repeater?
Generally most of the mesh systems (and I don't know if it's true for this one) are using their own radio backchannel to communicate between the points and back to where your router is - so it's not simply repeating the signal like an extender. You should get much better speed with mesh than with simple extenders.
Feb 15, 2005
497 posts
164 upvotes
Calgary
Just posting my own personal experience.
I have 1500 sq ft bungalow.
1400 sq ft downstairs.

Router is in basement. 150 speed.
I had 2/3 repeaters around. (all connected directly to router).
Including the tplink re200 posted above.

I could get internet in master bedroom on main lvl. But max was 25, and occasional drop.

I tried 2 tplink onhub because they were on sale for 80 each and rated to do 2500 sq ft.

I can now get 100 Mbps in my bedroom and never had a drop since.
Setup was a breeze. Definitely made for the novice user.
Mobile app to see data usage of individual devices is great. Real-time or accumulated in past week/month/etc. Eg. Know if someone is streaming at home.
I needed 2 static ip for my printer and Nas that was a simple setting on a device.
2.4ghz and 5.0ghz use same ssid. Devices just figure it out.

Google WiFi has 24/7 free phone support too.

Bottomline, I recommend the Google WiFi mesh system if you are thinking about repeaters. Personally will never go back.
I'm not sold on the Onhub vs WiFi pods though. Onhubs are cheaper, rated to do bigger area. Pods look nicer?

There are other mesh systems out there, but I cannot attest to them. They might offer more configuration that others need.
Apr 20, 2017
39 posts
9 upvotes
Dr. Grinch wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 1:02 pm
Order a Unifi Access Point off Amazon. It'll do your whole house.
Agreed. MUCH better than consumer stuff.
Jan 28, 2014
416 posts
95 upvotes
I have setup a few of these systems are they aren't bad at all.

Obviously if you want something with more options and customization you'll want a different product but this is one where you set it and forget it.

Great for a family who doesn't know how to setup networks and wants to schedule when the wifi can be on or off for the kids etc.

Have people over and want to share wifi? Scan a qr code and they are in.

I've also setup this product for a few people who had bought one and out of the 5 I've installed no one has called me with any issues about it.