Nov 29th, 2017 3:09 pm
why does everyone want one of these???
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8502 posts
795 upvotes
rtookey wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 6:48 pm
Most TVs have CEC these days. With that activated on the TV and the MiBox, the tv will turn on via the MiBox remote, or Google Home ("ok google, turn on tv" or "ok google, play 'insert artist' on mibox", etc.). GH does not currently work with the netflix app on the mibox (android tv). Im sure its coming, but not there yet. Works great for spotify, google play music, google photos, youtbube, etc.
hmm..i wish it will work with other app like Kodi...such as "ok google, start Kodi...play Walking Dead seasion 1 episode 3"
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Sep 9, 2013
437 posts
128 upvotes
Ottawa
actng wrote:
I've had the google home for a few months now and i only use it to check the temperature and lately i've been forcing myself to listen to music to it since that's what i've been told ppl use it for... but i really don't see what the rage is ? android is totally useless without a 6" screen in my opinion

pls edu me
I think its over priced even at $40 as it doesnt do anything, it seems so basic imo worth about $10 max
Dec 7, 2007
146 posts
22 upvotes
This is just a product that makes your life easier and automated your home devices. to who doesn't have any home automation devices, please skip this and don't say it's useless either. To be honest, all of us have been living without this for a long time. It's just a kind of convenient and a hi-tech toy at this point. For example, you already have timers here and there, but is it cool you just talk to GH or Echo to setup for you? tell him to turn off all your light when you are on your bed. sure, you can turn all of the lights manually, but again, just convenient.
Nov 27, 2015
11 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This is one of the hit devices at my home. My kids loves it and I love it. We use it for jokes, timers, home automation, temperature and weather and music, photos and youtube for casting. Also, with the new shortcuts it makes for some good pranks.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5058 posts
740 upvotes
GVR
hulk007 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:59 pm
I think its over priced even at $40 as it doesnt do anything, it seems so basic imo worth about $10 max
That's where the money is, to make it "seems so basic". You're underestimating the collaborative efforts that went into it to make all this happen.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5386 posts
1971 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
verby wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:46 pm
so uncle google can listen to you at home
I hope that there's one of these in the Oval Office.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2011
1542 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
My wife wasn't a fan of this when I brought it home. Now she calls me asking what other commands she can use. For instance, working on the couch while on her surface, she wanted to turn on the lights to a certain brightness %.
She did all this by saying one phrase. This is a luxury.
You pay for this kind of luxury. Overpriced or not, if you want to dish out $40 then you have every right to if you feel its worth it.
GH will also improve moving forward with more compatibility and maybe finally having legit Netflix Android tv support.
Feb 19, 2017
536 posts
203 upvotes
actng wrote:
I've had the google home for a few months now and i only use it to check the temperature and lately i've been forcing myself to listen to music to it since that's what i've been told ppl use it for... but i really don't see what the rage is ? android is totally useless without a 6" screen in my opinion

pls edu me

Living room for light
Checking score on hockey (or anyother) game without picking up phone/tablet
Quick google question for something random (tho doesnt always work)
Remote (voice) control for smart tv/android tv/tv boxes/cc/etc

It really depends on your house tho and how many devices/things you own that can take advantage of it

Ie my parents wouldnt benefit from it in their house yet the love messing around with it at my house (but wont let me setup their light switches lol).
Dec 26, 2010
486 posts
159 upvotes
Used to use tasker with auto voice and regex expressions to do some of the things that google home can do. Hoping that it would support android tv (it's built into the tv and doesn't rely on HDMI CEC) very soon because my bedroom tv is an android tv, and I'm not about to plug in my chromecast.
Jun 9, 2017
50 posts
4 upvotes
rtookey wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 6:48 pm
Most TVs have CEC these days. With that activated on the TV and the MiBox, the tv will turn on via the MiBox remote, or Google Home ("ok google, turn on tv" or "ok google, play 'insert artist' on mibox", etc.). GH does not currently work with the netflix app on the mibox (android tv). Im sure its coming, but not there yet. Works great for spotify, google play music, google photos, youtbube, etc.
How would I ask my Google Home to Turn or Off my Mi Box. I have Mi Box connected to my Samsung TV so CEC is there but when I say Hey Google, turn on TV" it doesn't work. I even changed the name of the device to TV in the MiBox settings.
Nov 14, 2013
612 posts
140 upvotes
Moncton
chatbox wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 5:13 pm
It's because there's no battery in phones anymore. The whole "charge your phone up" is a lie, when you plug in your phone, it's actually uploading that day's recording of you over to a government private network via the power grid. That "charge indicator" you see when (you think) you are charging the battery is actually the daily recording's upload indicator. And the reason why you need to do it pretty much close to once a day is because they're trying to keep a close eye on your whereabouts within 24-hour window.
ya, its not as if phones are connected to any network...
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1761 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
KevinC268 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 7:35 am
ya, its not as if phones are connected to any network...
Pretty sure Chatbox is joking... lol
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Nov 14, 2013
612 posts
140 upvotes
Moncton
Driftwood wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 7:51 am
Pretty sure Chatbox is joking... lol
i know, but its been confirmed that several governments actually do access the cameras and microphones on our devices as they see fit.
Jan 19, 2017
302 posts
253 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:53 pm
hmm..i wish it will work with other app like Kodi...such as "ok google, start Kodi...play Walking Dead seasion 1 episode 3"
It'll come. or, there may be a way to get IFTTT to do that.