[Best Buy] $39.99 Google Home Mini..reserve in store

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 7:17 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2107 posts
843 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one on Black Friday and I already love it.

Every morning I wake up and say "Hey Google, play 680 news for 30 minutes." I don't have a physical radio in my house so before I was constantly casting Tune In Radio to the TV so this definitely makes things easier. I'll also ask for the traffic before I leave.

Lots of other small useful things have been helpful to me. For $40, it's worth it to me. I've also used it to make phone calls. The person receiving the calls were saying its not the best quality so I won't use it too often. My TV has Google Cast but for some reason not everything is loading up with the TV so thats a bit annoying but I could live with it.
Oct 4, 2008
262 posts
58 upvotes
Saad1988 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 1:46 am
How would I ask my Google Home to Turn or Off my Mi Box. I have Mi Box connected to my Samsung TV so CEC is there but when I say Hey Google, turn on TV" it doesn't work. I even changed the name of the device to TV in the MiBox settings.
Android TV (in Mi Box) does not support Google Home TV on/off feature.
https://support.google.com/googlehome/a ... 1?hl=en-CA
Aug 18, 2009
754 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
ToniCipriani wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 1:32 pm
The automation part is a Google Assistant feature though, you don't need a Google Home for that. It's just a speaker and mic to act as a node.
Are you suggesting to use your phone instead?
Shouting across the room to your phone won't be ideal.
Jun 9, 2017
50 posts
4 upvotes
VertigoM wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 7:56 pm
I have a Mibox and it is able to turn on / off the tv.
What tv do you have and what comment do you tell google home to turn on and off tv
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6825 posts
2245 upvotes
Markham
VertigoM wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:19 pm
Are you suggesting to use your phone instead?
Shouting across the room to your phone won't be ideal.
Well some people like me carry my phone on me at all times anyways. Just pointing out it's not absolutely necessary if you just want to try out the home automation first.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Jan 22, 2010
64 posts
33 upvotes
Regina
All I can do is shake my head regarding the amount of negative comments about the Google Home. Like any product out there, it isn't perfect and it isn't for every one. If it isn't for you, that's fine. You don't have to post a bunch of negative garbage to let that be known to the world though. I don't need insulin and it doesn't do anything positive for me so should I shit on everyone that buys it to help with their diabetes?

For me I am up to 5 Google Homes now and for my family they are great. It would be hard to give them up. They have their use cases and that fits our family perfectly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5404 posts
1988 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
dr_jared88 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:42 pm
All I can do is shake my head regarding the amount of negative comments about the Google Home. Like any product out there, it isn't perfect and it isn't for every one. If it isn't for you, that's fine. You don't have to post a bunch of negative garbage to let that be known to the world though. I don't need insulin and it doesn't do anything positive for me so should I shit on everyone that buys it to help with their diabetes?

For me I am up to 5 Google Homes now and for my family they are great. It would be hard to give them up. They have their use cases and that fits our family perfectly.
Well said.

I picked up 5 from Home Depot this evening, $39 each.

Already set one up and have it controlling the Philips Hue Starter Kit I grabbed on Black Friday.

So much better than using a phone or tablet.

Gonna set one up in the workout room to control lights/music & Netflix/YouTube.

Very handy device for $39.
Jun 3, 2016
22 posts
44 upvotes
Guys, don't forget that with Google Home, you can do free, unlimited calling to any numbers in Canada and U.S.
Theres also broadcast mode where you can broadcast a msg to your Google Home through Google Assistant on your phone, or another Google Home unit.
Jan 14, 2011
975 posts
229 upvotes
dr_jared88 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:42 pm

I think the negative comments are important, it helps potential buyers know what to expect and make a more informative decision. I don't wanna just hear how great a product is even if I'm just looking for confirmation, I wanna know why some people think it sucks, and I'll use my own judgement on how valid or relevant it is towards my opinion of the product.

ps. Comparing it to insulin and diabetes is ridiculous.
Jul 3, 2017
381 posts
210 upvotes
KMKM wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 8:57 am
I think the negative comments are important, it helps potential buyers know what to expect and make a more informative decision. I don't wanna just hear how great a product is even if I'm just looking for confirmation, I wanna know why some people think it sucks, and I'll use my own judgement on how valid or relevant it is towards my opinion of the product.
Agreed, but I think most people feel there's no need to post comments along the lines of "I just dropped into this thread to say that I would never use this product and I don't see why anyone else would use it either." It's fine to say "I wouldn't use it because I use an alternative that I think is better..." or "I don't understand, what uses does this thing have?".
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1425 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto, ON
where can you set the default account? I set it up to have multi-user, me and my wife. if I ask my calendar it checks my account but when I ask to call someone it looks like it will check my wife's contacts.
Nov 27, 2003
711 posts
150 upvotes
KMKM wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 8:57 am

ps. Comparing it to insulin and diabetes is ridiculous.
I never see any good insulin deals on here.
Nov 27, 2003
711 posts
150 upvotes
goovangle wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:55 am
Guys, don't forget that with Google Home, you can do free, unlimited calling to any numbers in Canada and U.S.
Theres also broadcast mode where you can broadcast a msg to your Google Home through Google Assistant on your phone, or another Google Home unit.
Really? Oh snap! Great feature!