Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] $39.99 Google Home Mini..reserve in store

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 7:17 pm
May 5, 2017
116 posts
12 upvotes
Anyone with a mix of alexa and GH ecosystem? I have alex because I got a sonos one and we kind of like it and makes sense in the kitchen. Wondering if a GH would make sense in the living room.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2159 posts
922 upvotes
Muskoka
boldventure wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 10:55 am
where can you set the default account? I set it up to have multi-user, me and my wife. if I ask my calendar it checks my account but when I ask to call someone it looks like it will check my wife's contacts.
This should answer your questions - basically you need need to 'train' your voice to each account using the Home App alongside the GH
https://support.google.com/googlehome/a ... 0?hl=en-CA
Apr 3, 2006
646 posts
109 upvotes
Bafonso wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:10 pm
Anyone with a mix of alexa and GH ecosystem? I have alex because I got a sonos one and we kind of like it and makes sense in the kitchen. Wondering if a GH would make sense in the living room.
I have both and they work fine together. Just don’t put them next to another or they will have issues hearing you when the other one is playing loud music.
Jul 3, 2013
307 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
How is it as a music speaker? I mean it’s cheaper than some Bluetooth speakers out there.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5087 posts
754 upvotes
GVR
Sushi Roll wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:26 pm
I have both and they work fine together. Just don’t put them next to another or they will have issues hearing you when the other one is playing loud music.
What are your use cases for each of them to warrant the need to have both? I think I'm kinda in the same boat...but want to see what other people are using both for...e.g. they seem to complement each other in different ways.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5087 posts
754 upvotes
GVR
dukati wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:28 pm
How is it as a music speaker? I mean it’s cheaper than some Bluetooth speakers out there.
GH mini is actually a fairly decent easy listening music playback speaker. Just don't expect booming bass.

p.s. Has anyone seen a frequency response graph for the GH mini speaker? Head-fi?
Last edited by chatbox on Dec 1st, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 30, 2006
20 posts
35 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:30 pm
What are your use cases for each of them to warrant the need to have both? I think I'm kinda in the same boat...but want to see what other people are using both for...e.g. they seem to complement each other in different ways.
I'm buying both Echo and Google Home units for Christmas.
Use Echo Dots
- two-way intercom (my home office is separate from the house)
- plug directly into stereo via headphone jack. Stream music or use as a bluetooth adaptor for my phone
- home automation to control the wifi plugs and harmony hub I also purchased.
Use Google Home
- for the kids - seems that it will be easier for them to have a conversation with google
- 'find my phone' feature (man I'm looking forward to this one - it rings your phone even if the ringer volume is off apparently)
- integration with google calendar

Other stuff both seems equally well at.
Also for the kids it'll be nice to have the different games/interactions that each comes with
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5402 posts
1988 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Sushi Roll wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:26 pm
Cool, thx!

I grabbed a few (5) Google HM's last night from Home Depot to help with the Hue lighting system I'm starting throughout the house, plus media casting, information hubs, etc.

I'm also patiently awaiting one of the Amazon Echo V2's from the Telus/ Amazon Prime promo a couple of weeks ago, so I'm glad to hear that they can co-exist and compliment each other.

So far the GHM's have been awesome, and being able to control my Nexus Players using voice commands without the remote control has been worth it alone.
Last edited by Woah! on Dec 1st, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5087 posts
754 upvotes
GVR
talentive wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:39 pm
I'm buying both Echo and Google Home units for Christmas.
Use Echo Dots
- two-way intercom (my home office is separate from the house)
- plug directly into stereo via headphone jack. Stream music or use as a bluetooth adaptor for my phone
- home automation to control the wifi plugs and harmony hub I also purchased.
Use Google Home
- for the kids - seems that it will be easier for them to have a conversation with google
- 'find my phone' feature (man I'm looking forward to this one - it rings your phone even if the ringer volume is off apparently)
- integration with google calendar

Other stuff both seems equally well at.
Also for the kids it'll be nice to have the different games/interactions that each comes with
Thank you! I appreciate the response.
Dec 24, 2010
15 posts
Edmonton
google home mini does not play from youtube in Canada. its only plays from google music and spotify.
am i right .. is youtube not allowed in Canada to play on google home mini.
youtube is better to play music in my case.
any ideas as how to make youtube as the default player in google home mini for Canadians. Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2159 posts
922 upvotes
Muskoka
Re: Find my phone - Does it work natively with Google Home?

I did get this to work with IFTTT. To reiterate, I put my phone on vibrate and silent and stuck it in the couch. Hey google, Find My Phone. Sure enough, both time it started to ring full volume, not on the first ring or 2, but eventually yes.

Edit - Upon further checking, I don't have this set up in IFTTT, so it must be native
Last edited by spotts01 on Dec 1st, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 3, 2006
646 posts
109 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:30 pm
I have both because they each have some things the other doesn’t:

Alexa - let’s me play the free amazon music that comes with amazon prime. Also has voice control for Plex. Also has a aux output so can be wired into any old speakers or receiver. Also has Bluetooth output so I can send to my Bluetooth speakers.

Google - let’s me play Spotify free edition (Alexa only works with a paid premium account). Let’s me send music to speakers and receivers that have Chromecast Audio built in. Has no aux out or Bluetooth support. Also no Plex support. Much better for answering general questions though.