Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

55" Toshiba TV w/ 4K, HDR and ChromeCast - $699

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 1:14 am
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary

[Best Buy] 55" Toshiba TV w/ 4K, HDR and ChromeCast - $699

Stopped in to a Best Buy yesterday evening and they had this TV on the sales floor.

I'm in the market for a 55" TV and Costco seems to be in between stock right now in the lower priced end of the market (RCA/Haier/Hisense) in my area (Calgary), this Toshiba looks to be a pretty reasonable deal!

Anyone know how this stacks up against the 55" Hisense from Costco linked here? Main difference I see is the Hisense is not HDR?
33 replies
Sep 4, 2014
722 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Looks solid I might have to go check it out!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
OKSpring wrote: Stopped in to a Best Buy yesterday evening and they had this TV on the sales floor.

I'm in the market for a 55" TV and Costco seems to be in between stock right now in the lower priced end of the market (RCA/Haier/Hisense) in my area (Calgary), this Toshiba looks to be a pretty reasonable deal!

Anyone know how this stacks up against the 55" Hisense from Costco linked here? Main difference I see is the Hisense is not HDR?
Toshiba is also on the lower end off the market. The TV's are made by Taiwan-based Compal Electronics, they just license the name.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
Nexzen wrote: Toshiba is also on the lower end off the market. The TV's are made by Taiwan-based Compal Electronics, they just license the name.
Good info, thanks.

It's tricky to find details on "exclusive" products like this one, because under this name/model it's only stocked by Best Buy..not much about it online.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
OKSpring wrote: Good info, thanks.

It's tricky to find details on "exclusive" products like this one, because under this name/model it's only stocked by Best Buy..not much about it online.
Ya hate those, cuz the price seems so good
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
This is probably "crappy" HDR at this price right?

Although there are some exceptions, there was that one TCL I think it was, on Amazon that sold out quick, and I remember the reviews said it actually had good HDR, I believe especially good for gaming.
Jan 13, 2009
375 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Stay away! I bought one and less than 6 months of light use I had 2 blue virtical lines and Best Buy couldn’t repair and basically had to carry it back to the store to get a refund. Toshiba Canada doesn’t help.... told me only Best Buy can warranty them .. be careful!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1459 posts
1302 upvotes
Gatineau
These have no HDR. That's a load of crap
Maybe I can build a house with all the boxes from stuff I've bought off RFD
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
1247 posts
429 upvotes
Bought a “high end” Toshiba a few years ago, nothing but issues. Spent 400ish repairing it the first time, did not bother a year after for a second repair (mainboard issues). Ended up giving the tv away for parts.

My advice is, spend the extra few dollars and get something of better quality. This is not the Toshiba of old, and these TVs are not made to last.
Aug 3, 2017
48 posts
41 upvotes
My parents have one of these Compal TVs in their bedroom, I have nothing good or bad to say about it. It is a big-ass TV for $700.
Oct 31, 2011
57 posts
42 upvotes
Bought the 50" version of this a couple months ago and so far no problems. This TV has NO HDR though. Do not be fooled. They have an HDR mode but it's fake. This is an 8-bit display not a 10-bit so does not support HDR. As a regular 4K TV the picture is very bright and colourful especially after tweaking the settings, though I'm very happy with it at $399. We'll see how it goes in the future.

Edit: Though I will say that since HDR is so important when it comes to 4K I will either be selling this or replacing it within the by the end of 2018 and getting an HDR TV when I find one on sale. Hopefully the 55" TCL comes to Canada at a reasonable price.

Edit2: I forgot to say the fake HDR mode looks horrendous.
Jan 13, 2017
477 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know what exact panel they use in this Toshiba?

Is there an online panel checker?

I wonder how these stack up to the RCA/Haier/hisense 55" 4k TV's?
Dec 29, 2007
677 posts
477 upvotes
Gogi wrote: Bought a “high end” Toshiba a few years ago, nothing but issues. Spent 400ish repairing it the first time, did not bother a year after for a second repair (mainboard issues). Ended up giving the tv away for parts.

My advice is, spend the extra few dollars and get something of better quality. This is not the Toshiba of old, and these TVs are not made to last.
I remember going to somebody's house and seeing a Toshiba and being envious
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1466 posts
2212 upvotes
Toronto
Buying a Toshiba tv is a roll of the dice for luck. You may have no problems but you may (likely) have problems in the not too distant future. Wait for BF or Boxing day and spend a bit more on a good brand
May 13, 2016
161 posts
192 upvotes
GTA
DealOrNoDeal55 wrote: Buying a Toshiba tv is a roll of the dice for luck. You may have no problems but you may (likely) have problems in the not too distant future. Wait for BF or Boxing day and spend a bit more on a good brand
Just to muddy the waters, I bought one 3 years ago, and one a couple months ago. Both BB open boxes. Both going strong. 2 for 2. Of course now that I said it out loud I'm sure I'll go home and both will have exploded.
So easy, even I can do it.
Jan 13, 2017
477 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
I picked one of these up.... They sold me the 3 yr extended warranty for the price of 2 years... Is the extended warranty worth buying from Best buy these days? I always get it from Costco on my TV purchases, 5 years....
Aug 3, 2005
186 posts
174 upvotes
x
User994596 wrote: Just to muddy the waters, I bought one 3 years ago, and one a couple months ago. Both BB open boxes. Both going strong. 2 for 2. Of course now that I said it out loud I'm sure I'll go home and both will have exploded.
Whatever you do, don't buy a third!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1068 posts
782 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
this one for 699 or sylvania for 549?

both are 55" 4K and have ARC - I intend to use with a home theater in a near future.
TV features dont matter to me, I am looking only for acceptable image quality

Any advice is appreciated
Dec 10, 2008
895 posts
130 upvotes
I bought one open box few months ago Toshiba 4k built in chromcast from best buy for $550. So far so good

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)