Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Acer Swift 14" Ultrabook -- Intel i5-8250U, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD ($799)

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2011
2300 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
What I find interesting is that all these U-series CPU's maybe super power efficient, but not even the most current gen U series i7s can beat a 2nd gen i7 2630qm.
Mar 20, 2006
325 posts
40 upvotes
messi2017 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 10:46 pm
I remember Amazon had similar one for $599 on Aug, but the CPU is 7th gen
Probably not 1080p though, right? Or maybe not SSD. Or 4GB. Or a refurb. It's hard to believe that the only major diff was the CPU.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
367 upvotes
Vancouver
messi2017 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 10:46 pm
I remember Amazon had similar one for $599 on Aug, but the CPU is 7th gen
I seriously doubt that. I looked at everything in Best Buy, London Drugs, and Costco. Anything with a 250gb SSD, 1080p was $999 or more. This was one of the few computers under $1000. Probably one of the only ones with a backlit keyboard too.

Supposedly in April 2017, Best Buy had the Asus Zenbook with similar specs on sale for $799. Today that computer is $999 again though.
Sep 9, 2007
66 posts
48 upvotes
Montr
Discrete gpu and it was a deal
Mar 20, 2006
325 posts
40 upvotes
Though Amazon.ca put the Zenbook UX330UA (choice of Wirecutter and Laptopmag) on sale for $910 today: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M18UZF5

FWIW, Laptopmag also considers the Swift 3's display to be "dull and bland," unfortunately.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
367 upvotes
Vancouver
rseiler wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 12:38 am
Though Amazon.ca put the Zenbook UX330UA (choice of Wirecutter and Laptopmag) on sale for $910 today: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M18UZF5

FWIW, Laptopmag also considers the Swift 3's display to be "dull and bland," unfortunately.
That's a good deal. London Drugs has that one for $1,299 (but with 16gb ram and 512gb ssd).

Personally I didn't like it because the 13.3" monitor felt too small for me, the text and icons felt really squished. I prefer this 14" monitor. But it did have a nice display.

Go to Costco or Best Buy and play around with the Acer Swift 3. I don't know what they mean by dull and blend. I've seen the monitors on sub-$500 laptops on display, and the grainy-pixelation on those is really obvious. But on this monitor I don't see any problems, sure it's not a retina display, but I didn't pay $1,800+ either (ps. I bought it today and I'm typing on it now lol).
Apr 10, 2015
41 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
probably it is clearance for old gen on Amazon. New cpu requires some changes on the motherboard, such as, DDR4 ram.
Mar 20, 2006
325 posts
40 upvotes
Thanks mofesto, that's helpful. Just to add another data point, PCMag (4 out of 5 stars) reviewed the Swift 3 recently (older CPU, but what we're talking about here should be the same):

"We're always happy to see an IPS screen on an affordable notebook, and the Acer has a pretty good one: Viewing angles are broad, though the glossy screen causes reflections, and colors are bold. Contrast, however, isn't all we could wish as backgrounds have a slight case of the off-whites; the display looks as if brightness has been dialed down two or three clicks when it's set to the max.

The full HD resolution is a good fit for the 14-inch screen size; depending on how large you like menus and icons, it's a tossup whether to leave Windows' screen-element zoom at its default 150 percent or scale it back to 125 percent. Image editing and 1080p video viewing are a pleasure."

And Pocket-lint (4 out of 5 stars):

"First, colour is a bit undersaturated. Maximum brightness is also quite limited, which becomes an issue if you take the Acer Swift 3 outside. As it has a glossy finish, reflections will be an issue. It's about 30 per cent less bright than its brighter competitors. Keep the device indoors and it's bright enough, though."
mofesto wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 10:02 pm

[Edit:] The keyboard is really nice, the keys are really soft. I could see myself programming on this without needing an external full size keyboard (I used to do that with my old laptop).
Oh, but is it the roundly despised French-style keyboard or a U.S.-style one?
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 8:00 pm
Can RAM be added to this unit? How much will this CPU throttle down under full load?
No. Onboard 8GB only.

Ethernet Port: No! What?! This and other Q&A's on Amazon's page (note that it's for the model including MX150, so ignore that part).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
367 upvotes
Vancouver
rseiler wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 1:50 am
Oh, but is it the roundly despised French-style keyboard or a U.S.-style one?
Yes, the left shift key is shortened, and the Enter key has a different shape. I think it's fine though, with enough practice, muscle memory will get used to the extra reach to hit that enter key. So far I have missed it a couple times and hit the \ key instead (which on US keyboard, appears above the flat-rectangular Enter key; but on the French-Canadian keyboard, appears to the left of the "Tetris-block shaped" Enter key).
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
1814 posts
1306 upvotes
Winnipeg
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 12:43 am

This review is for the Acer Swift 3 with a Core i7-7500U CPU (dual-core 8th generation CPU)

Best Buy is selling the unit with a quad-core 8th generation CPU

btw, I linked to this review in the 2nd post ;)
however it's the same review for the rest of the laptop (screen quality/keyboard,etc)
:arrow: "Proudly Serving The RFD Community"
Mar 24, 2003
434 posts
29 upvotes
my brother needs a dependable family laptop....something durable for kids use as well. Would this be suitable?
Sep 10, 2012
304 posts
123 upvotes
Saskatoon
Nolan wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 8:08 am
my brother needs a dependable family laptop....something durable for kids use as well. Would this be suitable?
Solid choice without breaking the bank. Just bought one for a buddy and was impressed with it. Nice that this one has the 8th gen cpu. Other considerations that dont have 8th gen are that zenbook for $900 linked above, MS store has an xps 13 for $1129 but smaller ssd and would also look at the new inspiron 13 7000 series. Did a live chat with a Dell rep a couple of days ago and he offered it to me for $980. This one does have the 8250u cpu. If budget is tight stick with the Swift and maybe Costco will stock it with the 8250u cpu soon as then you could buy it there and get the automatic 2yr warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9858 posts
4231 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Nolan wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 8:08 am
Define your situation more. Will it be taken outside the home, moved about the home? What will it be used for? How old are the kids?

Often, a computer feels broken and it's software related, a corrupted OS. Or the drive dies and you can put a new one in if its replaceable, or something else easy provided it's not soldered in. I used to take laptops apart, repair them, fix OS, built a desktop and I'm not a computer tech, just inclined.

Fwiw, the warranty at Costco is 2y, and this computer is there (with a weaker CPU) for less. There are also lots others there for less and if you don't know anyone that can fix them and you're concerned about reliability, maybe having the no hassle longer warranty is more important, which can also be extended to 3y (can't remember how much). And you have 90d to bring it back, full refund.