Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Acer Swift 14" Ultrabook -- Intel i5-8250U, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD ($799)

Sep 10, 2012
304 posts
123 upvotes
Saskatoon
onthemove wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:27 pm
How does this laptop compare with the Dell XPS thats on sale now for $999. Specs look much better but XPS win with quality. Need a laptop not sure which way to go. Here is the dell link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d ... Ihkijm3Nw)()
That $999 is a fantastic price and xps is a significant step up in quality. I have an xps I bought approx 18months ago that has the i5 5200U and it has easily been my favorite ultrabook/laptop after owning and using several over the years
Oct 5, 2003
277 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
missed the ASUS ZenBook deal last boxing day...
Sep 25, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Pissed as hell. Just got the swift 3 today and after closing the screen to take it upstairs it wouldn't turn on anymore. Apparently it's a known problem linked to BIOS setup.
Also power connector is cheap as hell and will break quickly. Returning mine tomorrow for something else.
Will check on xps13 and will probably grab it. Any other recommendations? Xps13 vs zenbook ? What about the fact it's 7 vs 8th gen chip?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7198 posts
982 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
squint72 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 9:32 pm
That $999 is a fantastic price and xps is a significant step up in quality. I have an xps I bought approx 18months ago that has the i5 5200U and it has easily been my favorite ultrabook/laptop after owning and using several over the years
Looks ok as well, but the price is so much higher at $1300 for 256SSD (which is my minimum SSD size needed). Guess I will wait and see what the next few months bring.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2578 posts
1044 upvotes
GabrielL391711 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 1:09 am
Pissed as hell. Just got the swift 3 today and after closing the screen to take it upstairs it wouldn't turn on anymore. Apparently it's a known problem linked to BIOS setup.
Also power connector is cheap as hell and will break quickly. Returning mine tomorrow for something else.
Will check on xps13 and will probably grab it. Any other recommendations? Xps13 vs zenbook ? What about the fact it's 7 vs 8th gen chip?
I wasn't kidding about the power pin (not even worthy of being called a connector). I doubt Acer will admit it's their fault for under-engineering what should always be solid and sturdy power connector. Zero trust they will repair it once you snap off the soldering on the motherboard female connector. returning mine next week as well.
Aug 16, 2008
742 posts
127 upvotes
Markham
those of you who are looking at the xps 13 8th gen, buyer beware...i currently have this laptop (For two weeks now), and its overheated/random shutoff on me at at least every day i've used it.

This is a common running problem with the last two years of xps systems...though perhaps I have a lemon.