Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2016

[Best Buy] ASUS ROG price drop further Friday?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2016 2:49 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2010
45 posts
2 upvotes

[Best Buy] ASUS ROG price drop further Friday?

This is pretty much exactly the laptop I want. Been waiting for BF to buy one. BB website says that this deal ends today... is it worth waiting until tomorrow or Monday? Will the price drop any further or is this the best it will get?
All who wander are not lost
19 replies
May 29, 2016
451 posts
240 upvotes
Have you taken a look at the Alienware 15's? You can get a gtx 1060 which is much more powerful than that for ~$1300
[OP]
Dec 1, 2010
45 posts
2 upvotes
Really wanting 17" screen though... I'm spoiled :)
Dec 30, 1969
794 posts
336 upvotes
Victoria
lopix wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 9:35 am
Not quite sure why you'd want a 17"
But I guess to each their own...

If you need a big screen, buy an external monitor.
13" or 15" ftw. You'll hate lugging a huge laptop around to friends.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2010
45 posts
2 upvotes
Not going to take it anywhere, will be a desktop replacement. Don't want an external monitor.
Nov 23, 2016
1 posts
2 upvotes
17" can be better because of the heat distribution area.

With Gaming Laptops one of the bottlenecks is heat so that's also something to really consider.

I purchased my laptop 2 Black Friday's ago and was going to take it back and get the better deal when it came. No better deals came on the Black Friday in the price range I was looking.

I would suggest ordering it and then just taking it back if something better comes along. Better safe then sorry.
Jan 29, 2008
42 posts
2 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm holding-out for a version with GTX 1070 and Tunderbolt. I don't think that combination is available right now, though. But I'm definitely not going with a 900 series.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
5682 posts
1133 upvotes
Oakville/Toronto
lopix wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 9:35 am
If you're getting the 17", get a G752 model, not the GL. The G has back cooling where the hot air disperses and is much better designed.
Nov 26, 2015
110 posts
47 upvotes
Out of curiosity, why are you spending that kind of money on a laptop if you're not going to take it anywhere? You can spend that same money and build your own PC and get 3-4x the performance.

I thought the whole point of buying a laptop which is inferior in regards to dollar to performance was so that it is portable. If you're not going to use that feature why not just get a PC?
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Feb 18, 2008
347 posts
790 upvotes
MoriorInvictis wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 1:31 pm
Out of curiosity, why are you spending that kind of money on a laptop if you're not going to take it anywhere? You can spend that same money and build your own PC and get 3-4x the performance.

I thought the whole point of buying a laptop which is inferior in regards to dollar to performance was so that it is portable. If you're not going to use that feature why not just get a PC?
Well, for us, we use it in different room at home.
I lost the ability to remember things when I lost the right to a full night's sleep.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3291 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
MoriorInvictis wrote:
Nov 24th, 2016 1:31 pm

Could be like me where portability isn't about taking it outside the house but from room to room within the house. Also, living in an apartment, sometimes the space is better used on other things (ie you can pack it away when you have friends over)
[OP]
Dec 1, 2010
45 posts
2 upvotes
Exactly what loletifie and MoonDoggy said. Sometimes you just want to play a game in that room instead of this room. Or just take up less room. Or just make it easier to clear everything off the dining room table when company comes over. And maybe, couple times a year, you go away and want to bring it with you.

For true portable computing, I use my phone.
Nov 17, 2003
622 posts
108 upvotes
Edmonton
My new alienware 17" with 1060 came to like 1560 all in after tax. Definitely do not spend 1300 on a 960 because the performance will be trash in comparison.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Feb 28, 2007
8 posts
Toronto
I bought the same laptop from Costco in 2016 July. It was also on sale $1480 (before tax).
Sep 10, 2015
26 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I would strongly advise against getting a laptop with a 960m. 1060 are available today for basically the same price. Google some benchmarks for both cards to see what kind of difference in fps were talking about.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel