• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2018 12:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
4799 posts
743 upvotes

[Best Buy] Asus RT-AC86U $229.99

Good price for one of the best routers out there IMO.

Going to get my purchase price matched today!
Last edited by mystery on Apr 20th, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
65 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9108 posts
806 upvotes
GTA
I bought this router back in February 2018 from Best Buy and it is the best router I have ever had. I like it and I haven't even scratched the surface in terms of options/etc. I might buy another one to do the AI Mesh.

One thing to note, for those that always want the cheapest a product has sold at it was $199.99 in February so if you don't really "need" it now you might want to wait to see if it goes on sale at that lower price again.

EDIT- removed talk about tmobile router - got wrong equivalent
Last edited by YLSF on Apr 20th, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 22, 2014
206 posts
184 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thanks OP I was waiting for this to go on sale. I'll pick one up today.
Jul 22, 2014
206 posts
184 upvotes
Calgary, AB
YLSF wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 10:02 am
I bought this router back in February 2018 from Best Buy and it is the best router I have ever had. I like it and I haven't even scratched the surface in terms of options/etc. I might buy another one to do the AI Mesh.

One thing to note, for those that always want the cheapest a product has sold at it was $199.99 in February so if you don't really "need" it now you might want to wait to see if it goes on sale at that lower price again.

Another option is buying one of those tmobile routers posted about here on RFD and flashing it to the equivalent of this router but I don't have time to fool around with that now so going to pass for now.
I don't think those T-Mobile routers are the equivalent model. I thought they were like AC1900?

Edit: Just checked and the T-Mobile routers are in fact AC1900 and similar to the RT-AC68U not the 86U.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9108 posts
806 upvotes
GTA
blyndfyre wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 10:05 am
I don't think those T-Mobile routers are the equivalent model.
Ah, my mistake. I edited my original comment. I think the reason I was considering the tmobile model was that it support AI Mesh as well but forgot it was a different model.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2212 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
I jumped on this deal last time..

I PM'ed at Staples and applied coupons. Awesome router - highly recommended!

edit: Also 1% Ebates
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
7360 posts
350 upvotes
SK
My old Asus dual band I think is starting to go. Solid for many years, but Ive lost internet completely twice now in the last 3 weeks, and a complete power loss is the only way to make it come back online. Not even a reboot does it.

Happened again this morning, was fine when I went to bed, no internet in the morning. Confirmed it wasnt my Smart Hub connection

I have stock o/s in it with the latest firmware, although they dont have any new firmwares for awhile (not supported maybe?)

I do like the software in it, I go into it all the time for device blocking, device name labeling, etc, etc. So Id like to keep the same if I could since Ive been happy with it
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1253 posts
221 upvotes
Oshawa
Tried to PM at Staples, but they denied it because they do not price match competitors products that are "limited quantities".
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3892 posts
49 upvotes
With merlin, will you get gigabit speeds over cat6 on this router?
Jul 22, 2014
206 posts
184 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Scorpiate wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 11:02 am
https://asus.4myrebate.com/?oc=ASU-14841 <- extra rebate offer.
You have to purchase two qualifying routers to get the rebate:

"Special Instructions
Bundle MIR: MUST purchase 2 units in a single transaction during the valid period to be eligible for the rebate."
Apr 3, 2017
15 posts
Do these make a big difference in speed and coverage when compared to the higher end modems that Rogers or Bell provides. Such as the home hub 3000?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1253 posts
221 upvotes
Oshawa
Staples PM Policy:

We reserve the right to limit quantities sold to an individual customer. The price match guarantee does not apply to competitors’ or Staples advertising that states “limited quantities,” “clearance,” “close-outs,” “bankruptcies” or special events (e.g., Boxing Day, Boxing Week, Black Friday). We do not match typographical errors in competitors’ advertisements. OEM, Government and Educational prices may be excluded. Prices do not include applicable taxes and/or eco-fees. We reserve the right to modify the terms of our price match guarantee from time to time.