[Best Buy] ASUS Wireless AC2900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router (RT-AC86U) - $199.99

Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1034 posts
482 upvotes
Ottawa
DealyMcDeals wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:34 am
Probably a dumb question, but I am having issues withe using the Roger Gigabit built in Wifi to reach the whole area of my small condo (~750 sq ft). I even tried turning off the wireless on it and using a WiFi extender in place of the internal WiFi.

Would this do a much better job in most cases?
The 5GHz frequency doesn't penetrate walls well, you'll get better results with 2.4GHz but you'll lose AC.
If your condo is wired with Ethernet cables, try to move your Rogers modem around to see where is the optimal location or put this one in a different room and connect it to your Rogers modem with wifi still enabled
Jan 1, 2015
42 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DealyMcDeals wrote:
Probably a dumb question, but I am having issues withe using the Roger Gigabit built in Wifi to reach the whole area of my small condo (~750 sq ft). I even tried turning off the wireless on it and using a WiFi extender in place of the internal WiFi.

This router does have better signal than the Rogers white box, but I don't think it will be much better. It's more about where you put it. Maybe try move your rogers router to a better location.
Mar 20, 2013
72 posts
103 upvotes
Innisfil
NoCountry4RFDer wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:40 am
The 5GHz frequency doesn't penetrate walls well, you'll get better results with 2.4GHz but you'll lose AC.
If your condo is wired with Ethernet cables, try to move your Rogers modem around to see where is the optimal location or put this one in a different room and connect it to your Rogers modem with wifi still enabled
raymondzzd wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:43 am
This router does have better signal than the Rogers white box, but I don't think it will be much better. It's more about where you put it. Maybe try move your rogers router to a better location.
Thanks both of these were really helpful. If the signal is pretty much the same is the $200 you are spending here just for faster wireless speeds at that point?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1714 posts
128 upvotes
DealyMcDeals wrote:

Depending on which route you want to go, you should consider whether you want an access point, or extender. The wifi extender will not so much boost your signal, but also reduce the quality of the connection. If you want equal quality signal, the best bet is the access point method.

But if I were in your shoes, I would consider using a power-line adapter (from Rogers modem to centre of the condo), and then setting my wifi router at the centre of the condo (not the Rogers one) to become an access point to see if that works.
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Mar 23, 2009
304 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
marcsterr wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:27 am
To be honest I don't even know why I bought this - impulse purchase lol

I currently have a RT-N66U. I wonder if I'll even notice any difference?
In in the same boat, but haven't impulse bought yet... Should I upgrade to this one from RT-N66U?
Jan 1, 2015
42 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DealyMcDeals wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:46 am
Thanks both of these were really helpful. If the signal is pretty much the same is the $200 you are spending here just for faster wireless speeds at that point?
My take on the advantage of faster processor and bigger memory is able handle more devices and heavier load, say having file transfer, streaming, gaming, printing on desktop, phones, NAS, TVs at the same time.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2326 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
astroboy100 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:04 pm
In in the same boat, but haven't impulse bought yet... Should I upgrade to this one from RT-N66U?
Well at the end of the day I paid $175+HST. Buy now think later lol

I love the RT-N66U... have had no issues whatsoever
Sep 12, 2017
925 posts
72 upvotes
marcsterr wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:35 am
Thanks OP for the heads up.

I PM'ed staples and used a $25 off $75 coupon found in the RFD Staples Megathread!
How do you PM and add a coupon?

The router does not seem to have the best ratings online though, Asus going downhill?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2326 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
reggyDeal wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:18 pm
How do you PM and add a coupon?

The router does not seem to have the best ratings online though, Asus going downhill?
I bought it first at Staples and called in to PM with coupon and they credited me the difference to my credit card.
Feb 6, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes
Would you guys recommend this or a mesh router? I'm in a small home and my c7 doesn't have the best coverage in the further corners of the house. Will I see a vast improvement with this over the c7?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1034 posts
482 upvotes
Ottawa
DealyMcDeals wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:46 am
As said above, depending on your usage and how many heavy users do you have. The t-mo in the other thread might be enough for you.

The faster CPU/bigger RAM are good if you are planning to use it as a NAS, VPN server/client and run other stuff by many users.
AC2900 means it can handle more users at full connection speed (I think it's around 800mbps)
Oct 1, 2017
36 posts
8 upvotes
marcsterr wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:22 pm
I bought it first at Staples and called in to PM with coupon and they credited me the difference to my credit card.
I'm little confused
When you bought it in store, did you apply the coupon or did you apply it later when PM?
Doesn't Staples do PM in store as well? or do I have to call in after in order to apply the coupon to the PMed price?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2326 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
yukun wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:53 pm
When you brought it in store, did you apply the coupon or did you apply it later when PM
I'm little confused that don't Staples do PM in store as well? or do I have to call in after in order to apply the coupon to the PMed price?
I didn't buy it in store. As a matter of fact, Staples.ca says they don't have any in store, only online.

I bought it online and applied the $25 coupon, and then called it afterward to PM.
Nov 18, 2014
375 posts
342 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thanks! I have submitted a claim to my credit card for price protection as my 30 days are up for a Best Buy price match.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1545 posts
351 upvotes
Montreal
Exia97 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:38 pm
Would you guys recommend this or a mesh router? I'm in a small home and my c7 doesn't have the best coverage in the further corners of the house. Will I see a vast improvement with this over the c7?
I'd recommend the ASUS, as it can also work as a mesh node if you have other compatible ASUS routers.
ASUS's aimesh is comparably faster than other pre-packaged mesh networks.
https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/