• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2019 7:08 am
[OP]
Oct 15, 2006
255 posts
75 upvotes
Markham

[Best Buy] August Bluetooth Smart Lock (Silver and Dark Grey) $98.99

Saw this on Best Buy. I don't have it personally but a few friends own this and seem to like it.

Overview
No keys, no codes, no hassle. This August Bluetooth Smart Lock adds secure keyless entry to your home. You can lock and unlock your door with your smartphone, and give keyless entry to family, friends, housekeepers, and other home services without worrying about lost or copied keys.
More Information
Easy access: Enjoy the ability to lock and unlock your door with your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
Total control: Give out (and manage) keyless entry access to your friends, family, and housekeepers.
Peace of mind: DoorSense technology locks itself when you leave, so you always know your door is completely closed and locked.
Key entry, optional: This smart lock attaches to your existing deadbolt so you can still use your regular keys.
Install in minutes: The easy to install design means you can do-it-yourself, with no locksmith needed; smart lock installs on the interior-side of your door, while the exterior door hardware remains unchanged.
Nest friendly: Connects with other popular smart home services, such as Nest.
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 19th, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
73 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1164 posts
131 upvotes
Guessing this one cannot be expanded to work with the wifi attachment?
Jan 12, 2019
15 posts
90 upvotes
Thanks OP! Needed one of these for the garage door.
Jun 21, 2009
191 posts
161 upvotes
too bad this cannot be expanded to work with the wifi. I already have an august smartlock on the main door and this would have been perfect for the garage
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26538 posts
12622 upvotes
Ottawa
malaujai wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 9:04 am
Guessing this one cannot be expanded to work with the wifi attachment?
blue dragon wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 9:23 am
too bad this cannot be expanded to work with the wifi. I already have an august smartlock on the main door and this would have been perfect for the garage
Add an August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge for remote access and Google Home and Alexa.
Jan 28, 2008
125 posts
84 upvotes
Not sure what is meant by cannot be expanded to wifi.

August website lock comparison says the only thing it does not have is HomeKit support and zwave but it can be connected to august connect.

If you already have august connect you are all set.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1262 posts
331 upvotes
Edmonton
so just to be straight since I know nothing about these. These go over your deadbolt on the inside. And you can proximity unlock with your phone etc? Can it be used as is or do you need something else like a bridge?

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26538 posts
12622 upvotes
Ottawa
freewheelin76 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 9:43 am
so just to be straight since I know nothing about these. These go over your deadbolt on the inside. And you can proximity unlock with your phone etc? Can it be used as is or do you need something else like a bridge?
Without the smart connect, you can only use proximity lock/unlock.
With the smart connect, you have remote access for lock/unlock, along with Google Home and Alexa connectivity.
Jul 26, 2018
279 posts
242 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Kind of sucks these smart locks don't work with mortise locks :(
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26538 posts
12622 upvotes
Ottawa
secretalcoholic wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 10:11 am
Kind of sucks these smart locks don't work with mortise locks :(
I believe Samsung does, but $$$
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3127 posts
1508 upvotes
strange that in both amazon and BB marketing photos they never show you a picture of the outside portion of the lock assembly .The video on amazon gives a few distant or side glimpses. Probably not a big deal but why does the marketing not care? If it looks odd and its permanently attached to the front outside door. Personally I would never buy a smart lock without a backup keyhole and set of keys.
Sep 3, 2002
890 posts
333 upvotes
GTA
Redscott wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:33 am
strange that in both amazon and BB marketing photos they never show you a picture of the outside portion of the lock assembly .The video on amazon gives a few distant or side glimpses. Probably not a big deal but why does the marketing not care? If it looks odd and its permanently attached to the front outside door. Personally I would never buy a smart lock without a backup keyhole and set of keys.
There is nothing changing on the front of your door. It reuses your existing lock. That's the hook for this particular product vs other smart locks.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3127 posts
1508 upvotes
theSPOOLER wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:37 am
There is nothing changing on the front of your door. It reuses your existing lock. That's the hook for this particular product vs other smart locks.
well damn that explains it all. good then Electric Light Bulb
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1085 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Redscott wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:33 am
There is no outside portion of the lock. It's just an add on that goes on your existing lock lever inside.

It's a mechniscm that phsyically turns the lock for you. Your keys still work.