Best Buy Boxing Day Laptop Scam

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2013 11:17 am
Tags:
None
Aug 12, 2006
104 posts
7 upvotes
the one i went to a few months back also did this and they refused to waive the fee for software i didn't ask for, i told them ok i'll just purchase one online at a different store. there is a reason why BB's sales have decreased yearly and to a point where they were rumored to be heading towards bankruptcy protection.
Jul 3, 2001
678 posts
34 upvotes
GTA
i thought BestBuy and FS got in trouble for this a years back and they said they'd stop this fraud. i thought i even saw news articles on the matter....?

Futureshop is worse for this because their sales people make huge commissions on the setup fees, it's one of their biggest commission items and they make a killing on boxing day by doing this scam.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4307 posts
515 upvotes
there is really no change, they have been doing this for so many years. A few years ago everyone did stories and exposed this scam however after this BB head office sort of relinquished its power letting the GM have the overall final say on decisions made in the store. Ive had several runins with these GMs and they will gladly tell you to call head office and that they will tell you the same thing that its ultimately the store GMs decision. I guess this is there way to continue the scam while letting corporate get away with it, but we all know who really pushes these incentives in the end.
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2167 posts
831 upvotes
Montreal
Same inquired about a Laptop and told me that OS is not set up on computer and they wanted to charge me... The employee thinks I am so stupid. I just told him I dont want the computer to piss him off lol
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11356 posts
760 upvotes
Mississauga
Staples did that to me a year ago. I took pictures of the sign and escalated upwards. Within 2 days, I got the laptop from another location and additional 50 dollars off.

The hq did express their concerns with the staples near Square one in Mississauga. They didn't even want me to give any business to them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7756 posts
3652 upvotes
There is a reason why BBY stock is in the toilet ...
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3766 posts
45 upvotes
Binden wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 10:51 pm
i thought BestBuy and FS got in trouble for this a years back and they said they'd stop this fraud. i thought i even saw news articles on the matter....?

Futureshop is worse for this because their sales people make huge commissions on the setup fees, it's one of their biggest commission items and they make a killing on boxing day by doing this scam.
Yep I remember that. It was crazy on RFD that boxing day. So many people where furious. It made it to the Toronto Star even. Didn't know they are still doing this. This should be illegal or you should put the 'setup fee' in your advertising at the very least.
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Apr 18, 2006
211 posts
14 upvotes
My jaw dropped reading this thread. I have never purchased a laptop before, and I build my own desktops. Like, I don't even get how this works. So you go to buy a box with a laptop, but it's already been opened? wtflol
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4307 posts
515 upvotes
asif9t9 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 10:28 am
My jaw dropped reading this thread. I have never purchased a laptop before, and I build my own desktops. Like, I don't even get how this works. So you go to buy a box with a laptop, but it's already been opened? wtflol
LOL pretty much, you would be surprised the amount of saps who actually pay $150 for someone to startup your computer enter your name and burn a copy of the backup discs which can be obtained for free online. (oh! and they also help you install your copy of MS Office, cause apparently its super hard to do so LOL) They do this to be "customer centric" so that customers dont have to wait and computers are pre-done so that customers who pay the extra $150 can leave immediately after they pay for it.

I used to work returns and the amount of angry customers who come back (usually the unsuspecting mom/dad/grandmother/gradfather) asking for a refund on services they did not even want. Some did not even know they were charged the $150, these guys are real crooks they prey on the elderly and the uninformed.
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
Oct 23, 2010
6 posts
Do they tack on an extra fee for laptop purchases done online?

My gf just purchased a laptop from BB online yesterday, should I ask to look at her receipt to see if she's been hosed?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1804 posts
161 upvotes
jvin85 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 12:27 pm
Do they tack on an extra fee for laptop purchases done online?

My gf just purchased a laptop from BB online yesterday, should I ask to look at her receipt to see if she's been hosed?
These sort of things don't happen online. The online store doesn't have half a dozen managers yelling at their staff to sell profitable services.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2003
1333 posts
113 upvotes
So Best Buy staff are agreeing to the Windows EULA? They shouldn't be, it should be the purchaser who is agreeing to it.
Deal Fanatic
May 28, 2002
8279 posts
93 upvotes
Kitchener
LOL, I would have blew a gasket if I waited in line in the cold for something like this.
Stop supporting monopolistic companies like Bell and Rogers if you want positive change in the Canadian telecommunications industry.
Dec 29, 2008
460 posts
16 upvotes
cOmAtOaSt wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 3:11 pm
So Best Buy staff are agreeing to the Windows EULA? They shouldn't be, it should be the purchaser who is agreeing to it.
This is pretty awesome, I lol'ed.
Jun 23, 2008
386 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
akz wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 10:42 am
LOL pretty much, you would be surprised the amount of saps who actually pay $150 for someone to startup your computer enter your name and burn a copy of the backup discs which can be obtained for free online. (oh! and they also help you install your copy of MS Office, cause apparently its super hard to do so LOL) They do this to be "customer centric" so that customers dont have to wait and computers are pre-done so that customers who pay the extra $150 can leave immediately after they pay for it.

I used to work returns and the amount of angry customers who come back (usually the unsuspecting mom/dad/grandmother/gradfather) asking for a refund on services they did not even want. Some did not even know they were charged the $150, these guys are real crooks they prey on the elderly and the uninformed.
The same case happened to me a few years ago, the line at laptop/TV cashier was moving very very slow. 2 sales people( both of them quite young, probably still in college), they insisted I need that $60 back up disc. I said no twice. they lowered to $40. no again. one of them ignored my words, just added to my invoice. I could see the screen , and pointed out. She then changed to $25. I used very firm tongue to confirm just need the laptop. right now, I will say , it's not my 1st boxing day here, pls do right before I use F***G word to you. that game wasted me about 15 min, at that time I knew why the line was so slow.
I will report this to some regulation agency if happen again.

weeks ago, I filed a compliant about cellphone hardware upgrade fee to CCTS http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/ , my cell C/O called me days ago and waived for me.
Everyone could have done this to stop those legit " robberies" .
× < >