Best Buy Boxing Day Laptop Scam

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2013 11:17 am
Tags:
None
Jun 2, 2011
651 posts
61 upvotes
OP, if what you're saying is indeed true then its illegal as its Bait-and-Switch tactics. The Competition Act has a clause in there (not sure exact section) that actually states this. If someone takes this to court, then Best Buy is screwed big time (unless the consumer doesn't have deep pockets).
Jul 18, 2005
728 posts
100 upvotes
A bunch of whining little babies. Don't buy the laptop simple as that. If they think they can sell it with the xtra service then all the power to them.

Move on, there are hundreds of other retailers.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4344 posts
523 upvotes
nuch wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 12:14 pm
A bunch of whining little babies. Don't buy the laptop simple as that. If they think they can sell it with the xtra service then all the power to them.

easier said than done if it was any other regular sale, but for boxing day time is crucial and if your there they have stock but will only sell you one with a $150 addon id like to see your move on there are "hundreds" of other retailers in action.
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15516 posts
611 upvotes
Niagara Falls
nuch wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 12:14 pm

Honestly what kind of person encourages bate and switch tactics BT a retailer?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4803 posts
1001 upvotes
Kanata
I can't believe they still do this. It's just like buying a laptop off kijiji, some guy posts it as BNIB, and you go there, he's selling you an opened item lol. To me, opening my new electronic device is as much fun as using it, I don't want some other guy opening my brand new stuff! The sad thing is, if you don't buy it, they can sell it to someone else, so they don't care if you buy it or not. Some poor sap will come along and pay for it without thinking. There are some people who would rather pay than to go through it, but they def shouldn't force it on you.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Jul 18, 2005
728 posts
100 upvotes
If there was stock of non-configured laptops the OP would have been able to get one. It's not bait and switch.

Seems like RFD's mentality is, oh you don't have any non-configured laptops in stock... fine I want this one but because it has been used by your Tech's to install the OS/Software I want it at a used/discounted price.

Come on. Plenty of people out there want a laptop ready to go. Lots of people have no clue how to install an OS/Software.

Pretty sure the brick and mortar stores don't give two s**ts if RFD supports their practices, they are in it for money. Just as we are in it for a good deal.

Move on to another retailer just as the OP stated he would. Oh wait Canada Computers has a crappy return policy, Tiger Direct sells too much refurbished junk, Apple is overpriced branding.

Wahhhh Wahhhhh Wahhhhhh

Hope you guys don't flood the store with your tears every time you walk through the doors. No wonder the managers never do a solid for the customer anymore.
Evil Baby wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 1:15 pm
Honestly what kind of person encourages bate and switch tactics BT a retailer?
Mar 6, 2006
166 posts
22 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I've had this happen at staples; zero mention of the extra cost till they pull the laptop out from 'the back'; I asked if they were serious that they were charging above and beyond the advertised price. At least staples had stock online when it happened to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4803 posts
1001 upvotes
Kanata
nuch wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 2:02 pm
If there was stock of non-configured laptops the OP would have been able to get one. It's not bait and switch.

Seems like RFD's mentality is, oh you don't have any non-configured laptops in stock... fine I want this one but because it has been used by your Tech's to install the OS/Software I want it at a used/discounted price.
No one wanted it at a used/discount price, they want it at the advertised price. If they're refusing to sell it at the advertised price, then there IS a problem. Either they shouldn't have over estimated the number of buyers with pre-installed software, or should've had a bigger inventory of brand new ones. Telling the customer to take a hike because they decided on their own to install the software, is not my problem, it is my problem if it is advertised like that, which isn't.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Jul 18, 2005
728 posts
100 upvotes
I agree to a certain extent.
As long as the retailer had 1 in stock (or the amount specified in the ad) they would be complying. Anything more than that and they can do whatever they want. Does it suck? Sure it does.

Bottom line is they can do what they want with their merchandise. It seems they aren't targeting the tech-savy, price conscience crowd. Is that wrong too?

I for one avoid going into FS/BB as much as possible, however I make several purchases from their sites on a regular basis. Perhaps that's the solution.
Tabooger wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 2:34 pm
No one wanted it at a used/discount price, they want it at the advertised price. If they're refusing to sell it at the advertised price, then there IS a problem. Either they shouldn't have over estimated the number of buyers with pre-installed software, or should've had a bigger inventory of brand new ones. Telling the customer to take a hike because they decided on their own to install the software, is not my problem, it is my problem if it is advertised like that, which isn't.
Oct 31, 2002
363 posts
27 upvotes
Winnipeg
RFD Drives a lot of business to store like Best Buy, when members at RFD speaks out they should listen. I suggest we should all sign some kind online document and address it the executive of the corporation. Continue act of this nature should mean no ads displayed on RFD referencing *.bestbuy.ca

Also make their management bow to RFD :) . Hit the Press and they will never act this stupid again.

Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2499 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
Did they have two SKUs (regular/installed software) or did they just have all the laptops with the installed software and none offered at the advertised price? I could understand of they had two SKUs and the only one left was the one with the software. However if they did not have any of the advertised product because they took all the laptops out of the box and installed all this stuff then that is just a dirty tactic.
Aug 16, 2004
483 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
They don't have separate SKUs for the laptops (factory fresh, or pre-setup). Essentially, they setup x machines and their goal is to push as many of those as possible as GeekSquad services (aka. the setup packages) compensates the margin and to meet GS budget (dictated by head office). If the "dry" laptops aren't available, they can only sell the pre-setup laptops as-is (aka. laptop + setup price) or else refuse the sale.
× < >