• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2013 7:10 am
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
3029 posts
460 upvotes
LegobrandonCP wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:46 pm
Lol I meant until the end of high school. And btw, and this is a desktop I'm talking about.
oh if its a desktop then yeah its probably fine, one of my family members got a desktop (hp refurbished) on boxing day like 6 years ago? They are still using it fine now, but its pretty obvious that its starting to get laggy as hell. Could always add more ram and ssd later too to speed it up. Laptops are super hard to make last 5+ years lol.
Thinking about upgrading to the iPad air 2 from the air 1? You MIGHT want to reconsider. http://youtu.be/qjhC4S3vcD4
Jul 21, 2011
620 posts
204 upvotes
Kingston
LegobrandonCP wrote:
Lol I meant until the end of high school. And btw, and this is a desktop I'm talking about.
Would't buy Acer... And sure any computer can "survive" a long time, but in all seriousness computers (for the average user) have a lifespan of 3 years or less, usually within that time frame a computer will go from being acceptable to painfully obsolete. This is even more so true for a computer built and sold for FS or BB, because it translates that you don't know how to build or spec a computer from scratch, meaning you will never upgrade any component over its lifespan...
Oct 3, 2010
609 posts
228 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
It's my third boxing day an i'm starting to realize that now that i own a mp3 player, an sdhc card, an hdtv, a ps3,etc.... i need less and less all this stuff. I think that i will stick with the alert function in rfd who keep me to constantly check the latest deals that i don't need. Happy christmas!
Dec 26, 2006
397 posts
37 upvotes
Calgary
JFRACINE wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:16 pm
It's my third boxing day an i'm starting to realize that now that i own a mp3 player, an sdhc card, an hdtv, a ps3,etc.... i need less and less all this stuff. I think that i will stick with the alert function in rfd who keep me to constantly check the latest deals that i don't need. Happy christmas!
Thank you for having a very good attitude about Boxing Day! So much self entitlement by people in these threads, it is quite sad how they expect things to be given to them "at cost" as if they deserve it. I'm in the same boat, I'm set for buying. Cheers and happy holidays!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2007
3586 posts
1464 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
LegobrandonCP wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:26 pm
Pretty lame and nothing to get really excited about and line up for.

But my sister is looking for a new computer and I'm wondering if the Acer Aspire X AX3950 for $319 is a good deal. Shes 12 and is planning to use the computer for the rest of her school years up until univerity. Her uses would be, internet, homework (word, powerpoint...etc), programs (paint.net... etc).

She does not game, not sure if she will in the future, but yea. Just let me know!

The Acer Aspire X AX3950 has a 500gb HD, Intel Core i3-540, 4gb ram, windows 7.

If you find a better computer than this one at a similar price range, please let me know!
Yep that should be fine...and get the upgrade to Windows 8 even if you don't install it right away. I find in some cases the o/s is a big part of what ages the computer. I've got a 6 yr old HP AMD X2 4200 and it still runs fine on Win7 and all I did was add more memory from new. At $319 it's pretty reasonable. I haven't had any problems with Acer either.
Dec 7, 2012
13 posts
LASALLE
Looking at the T3i bundle on the first page. Looks pretty decent.

I can buy this stuff online on the 24th, right? Or are these deals only in store?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2468 posts
215 upvotes
Ya I also would rather buy online than in store. I am looking at the Nikon SB-700.

PS: When do items normally get shipped when you place order online during during Boxing Day/Week?
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Addict
May 28, 2011
1139 posts
187 upvotes
this is disgusting. the i7 laptop should be 479.

Only the rich and the noobs will be out lining up and getting raped on markups this year....
WESTNYLEFX
THE COMPUTER GURU.
Dec 26, 2010
708 posts
177 upvotes
Im looking at the Klipsch sub-12 for $299 and apparently they couldnt even match the $249 sale price from a couple years ago(theres even a redflag thread on it). Just terrible.
Dec 28, 2007
321 posts
25 upvotes
Waterloo
RunOrDie wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:04 pm
How's the Nikon SB-700 for $279.99??
If you are asking about performance, my Wife uses this flash as a professional wedding photographer, and she loves it. Although I suggest you but stock in a battery company as this things eats them like candy.

If you are asking about price, it's decent. I think she paid 279 on sale a few years ago, but these things rarely go on sale, so if you are gonna buy it anyway, might as well.

I also prefer to buy from Henry's, they will PM pretty much anything, but they have much better service, and are usually more knowledgable about their products.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2012
1187 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
randomkidx wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:54 pm
oh if its a desktop then yeah its probably fine, one of my family members got a desktop (hp refurbished) on boxing day like 6 years ago? They are still using it fine now, but its pretty obvious that its starting to get laggy as hell. Could always add more ram and ssd later too to speed it up. Laptops are super hard to make last 5+ years lol.
I see. I got a Gateway desktop on Boxing day last year, works great. I need to learn how I can add an SSD and more ram. It came preloaded with 6gb.
Krakenlayer wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:54 pm
Would't buy Acer... And sure any computer can "survive" a long time, but in all seriousness computers (for the average user) have a lifespan of 3 years or less, usually within that time frame a computer will go from being acceptable to painfully obsolete. This is even more so true for a computer built and sold for FS or BB, because it translates that you don't know how to build or spec a computer from scratch, meaning you will never upgrade any component over its lifespan...
You make a good point. I myself don't know anything about building computers but I have a few friends who know some or a lot. The problem is choosing the right parts depending on your preferences.
cartfan123 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:19 pm
Yep that should be fine...and get the upgrade to Windows 8 even if you don't install it right away. I find in some cases the o/s is a big part of what ages the computer. I've got a 6 yr old HP AMD X2 4200 and it still runs fine on Win7 and all I did was add more memory from new. At $319 it's pretty reasonable. I haven't had any problems with Acer either.
I don't know about that since I'm not a huge fan on Windows 8, seems very complicated to use with a keyboard and mouse. I think Windows 8 is designed for touchscreen devices.
Sep 21, 2007
321 posts
32 upvotes
kamascottra wrote:
..who knows, maybe tablets will be all the rage by then for taking notes and whatever....
LOL, high schoolers using tablets to take notes. They don't even take notes with pen and paper, with a tablet all they will do in class is facebook/play games.
× < >